Lots of resting time so i've had quite a few craft finishes that I shared here on the blog in October, some were just WIP's that were finished off, others new starts :-
Here's the embroidery that I finished this week and put into its frame so this one hasn't been seen - a Christmas gift.
Also, some knitting that you haven't seen either. I'm adding a few rows here and there to yet another red cardigan for my granddaughter. One of the new ones she had in September is not going to last till the new term in January, she's growing so quickly, so I'm whipping up another bigger one ready for the winter.
This sweet little CCN Christmas Birdhouse is another I've not shared. I finished it over the weekend and had hoped to get it made up, but as you can see, that hasn't happened yet. A job for this weekend perhaps.
READING
Five books read during the month :-
Dear Mrs Bird is a debut book from A J Pearce who says that inspiration for this book came from reading womens problem pages in old wartime magazines. 1941 London and Emmaline Lake wants to be a war correspondent but unfortunately the job she applies for wasn't what she thought and she finds herself typing letters for Henrietta Bird, the agony aunt for Womens Friend - I really enjoyed reading this, a light read, and it reminded me of the TV programme Foyles War, it was that type of read. A tale of love, friendship and surviving in the hardships of war
This is the third book by Kathryn Hughes.
Personally, I enjoyed the other two better than this one.
1956
It's Ellen Crosby's first day as a student nurse at Ambergate Hospital, a mental hospital. When she meets a young woman sent to the hospital by her father, little does Ellen know that a choice she will make is to change both their lives for ever.
2006
Sarah is drawn to the now abandoned Ambergate. Whilst exploring the old corridors she discovers a suitcase belonging to a female patient who entered Ambergate fifty years earlier. The shocking contents, untouched for half a century, will lead Sarah to unravel a forgotten story of tragedy and lost love, and the chance to make an old wrong right.
The Ballroom has been on my 'to read' list for a long time, it was a Richard and Judy book club read back in 2016. Seeing a copy in our little library it came home with me.
Set over the heatwave summer of 1911, the end of the Edwardian era, it is a historical love story set in an asylum at the edge of the Yorkshire moors.
The second one this month with the same type of theme ..... men in white coats ... perhaps I am seeking advance knowledge just in case!! LOL
Good old Agatha Raisin, a quick and fun read, its like putting on a pair of comfy slippers. Meeting all the characters you have come to enjoy reading about over time. Three more books have been released since this one (that makes 29 in the series - although each one can be read as a stand alone book) I'm a bit behind on her adventures, but have the next which has been loaned to me by a friend who collects them - maybe next month?
As a child, Julia Forrester would linger in the hothouse of Wharton Park estate, where exotic flowers tended by her grandfather blossomed and faded with the seasons.
Now, recovering from a family tragedy, she once more seeks comfort at Wharton Park, newly inherited by Kit Crawford, a charismatic man with a sad story of his own. But when a years-old diary is found during renovation work, the pair turn to Julia's grandmother to hear the truth about the love affair that turned Wharton Park's fortunes sour . . .
And so Julia is plunged back in time, to the world of Olivia and Harry Crawford, a young couple torn apart by the Second World War - and whose fragile marriage is destined to affect the happiness of generations to come, including Julia's own.
I really enjoyed this one. Of course today is release day for the 5th in the Seven Sisters story by Lucinda Riley. Today, the much awaited Moon Sister comes out so people will be chatting about that in days to come. Another big book, I wonder if anyone has taken the day off work to read it like I have read some do when a new X box game comes out????
It was so cold this past weekend DH lit us a nice roaring fire to keep us cosy whilst we watched Strictly. Midge decided that he needed to get a bit nearer and feel the benefit too.
We awoke to the first hard frosts of the season, brrrrr . Neighbours were out scraping their car windscreens on Monday and children were wrapped up in hats and gloves as they made their way back to school after the half term weeks holiday.
Hello November, I wonder what you will bring for us.......
Love and blessings
Julie






You have been very busy, so many lovely inishes
ReplyDeleteWhat a busy month, so many fabulous finishes. Your embroidery looks lovely in the frame. Don't children grow so quickly? It's such a shame when hand made garments are grown out of in such a short space of time. I've read the first of Kathryn Hughes' books, the other two are on my list, in fact, I think The Key is already downloaded on my Kindle. I read The Ballroom earlier this year and I enjoyed it but found it a bit slow in places. Charles was my favourite character, it was so interesting watching his story develop. It's funny how animals choose the most cosy spot in the house, Midge must have been nice and warm.
ReplyDeleteWow...all of your Stitching is so pretty...I love all of your Knitting WIPS - You are a very talented lady.
ReplyDeleteHappy Stitching....Happy Knitting....
Have A Lovely Day
Linda K, Buttercup
Great job on all your beautiful crafting and reading for October. I wish you lots of luck and time in November and look forward to seeing what you create and read.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteLots of lovely crafting Julie , I wish I could do more , but time is not with me most weeks .
Here it has been very cold too and some bad frosts , but we get nice days.
Someone told me we are going to have another bad winter, I hope they are
wrong.
Enjoy your evening hugs.
Wonderful projects and well done for having so many. Love the kitty keeping warm.
ReplyDeleteThank you Julie for the book reviews. I have ordered Dear Mrs. Bird from my library. I am waiting for my library to own The Key, as I have read her two others, I want to read this one as well.
ReplyDeleteMidge looks so sweet there in front of the fire. :)
A glorious array of crafting, the socks are super, I just love the colours.
ReplyDeleteYou've done lots of lovely things, well done Julie.. I loved the book Dear Mrs Bird, and looked up Woman's Weekly on ebay, some were £50!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a wonderful variety of lovely finishes, Julie! I am amazed at all you accomplish in a given month :) So hard to believe that Isabelle is growing out of her new sweater so quickly! I know you love knitting for her, though, and I'm sure she is most appreciative. And that hat with the sheep is just adorable, too.
ReplyDeleteI've always admire that little Christmas birdhouse and I know your finish will be lovely :)
That is so funny--I just got a call today from the library saying my audiobook of Dear Mrs. Bird is ready for pickup. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it was light reading. I can't handle anything very heavy right now... Your fire with the sleeping Midge looks so wonderful--stay warm now! And Happy November!
So many wonderful projects Julie. I love them all. I've stitched the Christmas birdhouse and really enjoyed that one too. Have a great week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever
ReplyDeleteYou had a good crafty month Julie, I've not read any of those books so thanks for the recommendations.
ReplyDeleteMy Dahlias were still looking pretty good until we had that frost, now they are all black and shriveled. I do love a frosty morning though, you know that the sun is going to shine later if we start with a frost, I must admit that I do love a nice crisp morning :-) My two cats don't move far when it gets cooler, Millie especially feels the cold now she is older.
Have a good weekend and I hope your November is full of crafty makes :-) x
Lots of lovely stitching and knitting Julie. Your finished embroidery is gorgeous (it still isn't a buddleia though!)
ReplyDeleteJulie, You amaze me with all that you have accomplished!!! I love the colorful socks and that sweet bird in the birdhouse is precious. And your an avid reader too!!! Love the photo of Millie cozy by the fire!
ReplyDeleteI love the socks and the hat is so adorable!
ReplyDeleteAll lovely ornaments and stitching. You certainly have been busy and still find time to read, that's great!
I'm with Midge, right by that toasty fire.
A busy month Julie with lots of lovely things to show for it. I love the photo of Midge in front of the fire - such a cosy and homely scene.
ReplyDeleteLots of lovely crafty goodness this month, Julie - love the hat with the sheep and I love the fact that your granddaughter loves red cardigans. Enjoy the roaring fire - it looks so cosy and thanks for the book reviews.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to have both a nuthatch and a woodpecker in your garden, the birds are visiting again now it is a bit cooler. I enjoyed Dear Mrs Bird and always enjoy an Agatha Raisin book all quick amusing reads. Your craft work is lovely and how woderful to ahve a warming fire:)
ReplyDeleteSo much wonderful crafting, Julie. I know it's due to the fact that you had to have some rest. But you managed so well. Crafting and reading, is there anything better when you have to get more rest? The little birdhouse is so sweet. And your granddaughter will be more than pleased to get another handmade sweater from you.
ReplyDeleteIt was unusual weather Julie. It looks like younhave a lovely month of mixed crafts with some great finishes and a nice selection of reading
ReplyDeleteYou had a busy and good craft month, lovely to see.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for sharing these books with us.
Love the look of the fire, it makes you feel lovely and warm.
Take care.
All the best Jan
Julie, I've enjoyed reading your recent posts and catching up on all your craft work. You've been busy even with your health issues. I hope you are keeping well and that you remain infection free during the coming winter months.
ReplyDeleteYou have been busy Julie! I’ve enjoyed catching up on all your beautiful knitting and stitching! Love the socks! Thank you for the link to the Christmas stitchery piece, I don’t usually do Christmas stitching but I have saved the pattern and may well stitch this. Nice to read about the books you’ve been reading! I’m glad you mentioned Agatha Raisin, I checked and I haven’t read the latest book, and it’s in my library, so next week I’ll be off to look for it!
ReplyDeleteYour fire looks lovely! So cosy on these chilly nights!
Hugs,
Barbara xx
What a productive month! Our October was very warm too and then turned quite frigid now that it's November with our first snow already(?!). I envy your fireplace very much. Our cats would be right up there too; they even snuggle portable electric heaters :)
ReplyDeleteYou certainly were busy in October with some lovely finishes. Another gorgeous red cardigan for your granddaughter too, such a cheerful colour.
ReplyDelete