All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 11 November 2018

We Will Remember Them

The poppy, a sign of remembrance.....

DH  and I attended the remembrance service in the village this morning. 

Scouts, beavers, guides, brownies and rainbows marched through the street together with local servicemen.  They were, young and old, some able bodied and others disabled and in wheelchairs all coming together with the brass band.  Flags flying and medals all shining and sparkling.  Many poppy wreaths being carried for each group. 

A friend was reading a poem at the war memorial and the local churches all came together to unite on this 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.   We sang, we prayed and we became silent for the two minutes in memory of all who served and still do. 

I wore my hand painted silk scarf ....

 
Poppies had been purchased this year from one of the knitting group ladies, she made a bag full which all sold with proceeds going to the Royal British Legion.
 
I chose a fluffy one ...
 
 
 DH wore his handmade one too...

 
Earlier in the week I collected Isabelle from school and she had a note asking for each child to make a poppy for the schools display for their memorial assembly service.  

Can you help me nanny?   Of course I could ..... we chose to make felt ones.  She drew the shapes she wanted onto card, cut it out and then redrew around it onto the felt and carefully cut along the lines.  She chose the sparkly felt in my stash - she said she would be able to see hers on the display as it would be different - clever thinking.  Nanny threaded the sharp needle and put the stitches in to hold all the pieces together through the black centre.  She loved it that much we made two.


 
As we walked back to our car this morning through the village we saw this poem in a shop window and as my remembrance week has been talking to my seven year old granddaughter about why we wear a poppy I thought I would share this instead of the usual remembrance poem.
 


The poem reads :-

The Inquisitive Mind of a Child

 
Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?
Selling poppies in town today.
The poppies, child, are flowers of love.
For the men who marched away.
But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because my child, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppies grow.
But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?
Red is the colour of blood, my child.
The blood that our soldiers shed.
The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.
Why does it have to be black?
Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.
For the men who never came back.
But why, Mummy are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain.
My tears are my fears for you my child.
For the world is forgetting again
 
 

Love and blessings

Julie x

15 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem. It's important that history is taught to our children and then we always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I especially love your fluffy poppy. The poppies you and Isabelle made are wonderful. What a poem. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very poignant Julie, I've felt tearful all weekend watching all the commemorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting the poem!Your and Isabelle's poppies are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Julie , we enjoyed our march and service very tearful .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post, and the poem was beautiful.

    Our Grandson, who is a Cub Scout, took part in the local towns Remembrance Day Parade and Service … so good to see all those who came along and remembered.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Jo's sentiment, we must carry on teaching this History in schools, it's the only way to avoid it happening again.

    Love that Isabelle made poppies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was nice that you and Isabelle could make the poppies together and that you are talking to her about the meaning. Thank you for sharing the poem - it does sometimes seem that the world is forgetting again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Julie, love your handmade poppies and clever Isabelle making her sparkly one. Such a sad poem and sad day, may we never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing. I didn't understand about this tradition so I spent time looking up more information. I really love the poem you shared the photo of. So beautiful. So true. We must not forget and yet it seems like we are. We really need to pull together and be better for our future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie: Thank you for sharing that beautiful poem with us, I shed a few tears, can you tell us who the author is?
    Your daughters Poppies are beautiful, as are the fluffy Poppies.
    You hand painted scarf is positively beautiful, did you hand paint it?

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of your poppies Julie...especially the fluffy one. Thank you for such a beautiful poem. Your hand painted scarf was so perfect for the day...you did a lovely job. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  13. All lovely poppies to commemorate 100 years. The poem is sad, but hopefully help to never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit here, thank you.

It's lovely to hear what you think and it's always nice to read any comments that are left by readers.

I do appreciate each and every comment, thank you for taking the time to stop by for a visit.