Almost a week into October, so a little late this time with the monthly roundup
Stitching, knitting & embroidery in September ~
A stitching finish, but not FFO ~ The Stockings Were Hung by CCN
The Baa-ble hat is almost complete - the sheep are now in a lovely winter snow scene
The embroidery - which I have just noticed says Buddleia on the kit? I think it's definitely not and more like a hydrangea
A lonely odd sock - this ones Hermione's Everyday Socks by Erica Leuder, a free pattern at Ravelry. I'm trying out a ball of King Cole sock wool, these are for my daughter, she wanted some longer ones for her winter boots.
Talking of the odd sock, do you remember Isabelle's odd ones for the Yarndale sock line I talked about in this post? Maggie sent me an email with a picture of them on the sockline. She spotted them when she was there at the weekend amongst the other socks.
Thank you Maggie for taking time to look for them and send the picture.
There were two complete finishes :-
There were two complete finishes :-
Books read in September-
The Forgetting Time - Sharon Guskin
What would you do if your four-year-old son claimed he had lived another life and that he wants to go back to it? That he wants his other mother?
Single mom Janie is trying to figure out what is going on with her beloved son Noah. Noah has never been ordinary. He loves to make up stories, and he is constantly surprising her with random trivia someone his age has no right knowing. She always chalked it up to the fact that Noah was precocious―mature beyond his years. But Noah’s eccentricities are starting to become worrisome. One afternoon, Noah’s preschool teacher calls Janie: Noah has been talking about shooting guns and being held under water until he can’t breathe. Suddenly, Janie can’t pretend anymore. The school orders him to get a psychiatric evaluation. And life as she knows it stops for herself and her darling boy.
Single mom Janie is trying to figure out what is going on with her beloved son Noah. Noah has never been ordinary. He loves to make up stories, and he is constantly surprising her with random trivia someone his age has no right knowing. She always chalked it up to the fact that Noah was precocious―mature beyond his years. But Noah’s eccentricities are starting to become worrisome. One afternoon, Noah’s preschool teacher calls Janie: Noah has been talking about shooting guns and being held under water until he can’t breathe. Suddenly, Janie can’t pretend anymore. The school orders him to get a psychiatric evaluation. And life as she knows it stops for herself and her darling boy.
Taken from Goodreads
The Wildflowers - Harriet Evans
Tony and Althea Wilde. Glamorous, argumentative ... adulterous to the core.
They were my parents, actors known by everyone. They gave our lives love and colour in a house by the sea - the house that sheltered my orphaned father when he was a boy.
But the summer Mads arrived changed everything. She too had been abandoned and my father understood why. We Wildflowers took her in.
My father was my hero, he gave us a golden childhood, but the past was always going to catch up with him ... it comes for us all, sooner or later.
This is my story. I am Cordelia Wilde. A singer without a voice. A daughter without a father. Let me take you inside.
They were my parents, actors known by everyone. They gave our lives love and colour in a house by the sea - the house that sheltered my orphaned father when he was a boy.
But the summer Mads arrived changed everything. She too had been abandoned and my father understood why. We Wildflowers took her in.
My father was my hero, he gave us a golden childhood, but the past was always going to catch up with him ... it comes for us all, sooner or later.
This is my story. I am Cordelia Wilde. A singer without a voice. A daughter without a father. Let me take you inside.
Taken from Goodreads
The Love Letter ~ Lucinda Riley
Information and recommendation passed to me about this book which sparked my interest. I am told it was originally called Seeing Double written in 2000 under her maiden name of Lucinda Edmonds. After some problems about the subject of it being about a fictional royal family and other publisher issues due to its subject she didn't write again for a long time. When she decided to approach publishers again with written work she changed her name to her married name of Riley and her books were again published. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Seven Sisters and the subsequent 3 other books in the series so far (Book 5 The Moon Sister due out soon) and enjoyed this one too.
When Sir James Harrison, one the the greatest actors of his generation, passes away at the age of ninety-five he leaves behind not just heartbroken family but also a secret so shocking, so devastating, that it could rock the English Establishment to its core...
Joanna Haslam is an ambitious young journailst, assigned to cover the legendary actor's funeral. The great and the good of the celebrity world are in attendance. But Joanna stumbles on something dark beneath the glamour: the mention of a letter James Harrison has left behind, the contents of which others have been desperate to conceal for over seventy years. As she peels back the veil of lies that has shrouded the secret, she realises that there are other forces attempting to prevent her from discovering the truth. And they'll stop at nothing to reach the letter before she does..
Joanna Haslam is an ambitious young journailst, assigned to cover the legendary actor's funeral. The great and the good of the celebrity world are in attendance. But Joanna stumbles on something dark beneath the glamour: the mention of a letter James Harrison has left behind, the contents of which others have been desperate to conceal for over seventy years. As she peels back the veil of lies that has shrouded the secret, she realises that there are other forces attempting to prevent her from discovering the truth. And they'll stop at nothing to reach the letter before she does..
Taken from Goodreads
The French Promise ~ Fiona McIntosh
Having read The Lavender Keeper earlier this year, which I thoroughly enjoyed, this is the sequel published a while ago in 2014
Luc and Lisette Ravens – a former French resistance fighter and a one-time British spy – have somehow survived the war, but recovering from the horrors of those years is a challenge they're yet to overcome. Casting their fate to the winds, they sail to Tasmania, hoping to rebuild their lives and plant new lavender fields in a land that's full of promise.
In his darkest hour, Swiss law student Max Vogel learns a confronting truth. A long-held family secret links him to the Ravens on the other side of the world, and he finds himself holding the key to his own future and to Luc's troubled past.
Together they return to Provence, so Luc can fulfil the promises by which he has been bound – to his beloved Lisette, to his Jewish family, and to the one man responsible for ripping so much from his life. With the future generation of lavender keepers in his care, Luc must lay to rest the ghosts of years gone by so that they all might live and love again.
From the south coast of England to the rugged farmland of northern Tasmania and the lively streets of postwar Paris, this is an extraordinary story of courage, determination and everlasting love.
In his darkest hour, Swiss law student Max Vogel learns a confronting truth. A long-held family secret links him to the Ravens on the other side of the world, and he finds himself holding the key to his own future and to Luc's troubled past.
Together they return to Provence, so Luc can fulfil the promises by which he has been bound – to his beloved Lisette, to his Jewish family, and to the one man responsible for ripping so much from his life. With the future generation of lavender keepers in his care, Luc must lay to rest the ghosts of years gone by so that they all might live and love again.
From the south coast of England to the rugged farmland of northern Tasmania and the lively streets of postwar Paris, this is an extraordinary story of courage, determination and everlasting love.
Taken from Goodreads
We had a short drive out in the sunshine last weekend with tea/cake at a local reservoir. The water level is still very low after the hot summer.
I hope you too have been enjoying some of the autumn sunshine although the nights are drawing in now very quickly. It does mean that it will give us some extra craft time in the evenings and we can snuggle up on the sofa under the fluffy blanket to keep warm and cosy on these chilly autumn nights. Lots of gardeners come back to their stitching and knitting again so we should see lots more blog posts.
Love and blessings
Julie



I never thought I'd be one of those gardeners Julie but this year the garden has been calling me so the crafting hasn't been my main focus. The sock photo made me smile - I've been to Skipton but not to Yarndale.
ReplyDeleteThat baa baa hat is to be envied, how gorgeous is that! Always after good book recommendations, I’ve written them in my little list book though I think it’s a long enough list to keep me going for years xx
ReplyDeleteLovely stitching and that hat is so cute. Thanks for the book recommendations, too - like me you are an avid reader.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful progress on your projects. Glad you have been able to do lots of reading too. I look forward to the cooler temperatures and lazy winter days too.
ReplyDeleteYour Baa-ble hat is making me want to start mine but I've got other things to finish first. It's looking really good and will keep you warm this winter. I'm with you on the embroidery, it does look more like a hydrangea than a buddleia, it's looking good anyway. I love the Hermione's sock pattern, one of my favourites, though I've just finished another textured pattern which I also like. There'll be a post on my blog about it today. I didn't go to Yarndale this year so didn't see my socks in situ this time. Maggie was very eagle eyed to spot yours, it's fun trying to pick them out. You've been busy with your reading, they all sound interesting but The Forgetting Time especially so. Glad you're managing to get out and enjoy the sunshine, nice days will be few and far between soon so it's good to make the most of them while we can.
ReplyDeleteLove the colours on your socks, they are so pretty. Thanks for the book reviews, theres a couple I have added to my reading list.
ReplyDeleteThe Baa-ble hat is fabulous. It's good to get out in the Autumn sunshine. Unfortunately it's grey and wet here today but I'm hoping it will improve for the weekend. X
ReplyDeleteLove the stitching and the baa-ble hat Julie and thanks for the book recommendations, I'm always looking for something different to read. Lovely story about Isabelle and the socks, I hope they found a new owner for them x
ReplyDeleteVery nice stitching and knitting Julie. That hat is so adorable!
ReplyDeleteGosh I like the Baa-ble hat, blue and brown are pretty together and such lovely socks for your daughter. Wish I had more time for reading, I´m going to put The Forgetting Time on my Christmas list, sounds fascinating.
ReplyDeleteI love those last two photographs, it's so lovely to get out and about and enjoy some Autumn sunshine.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Lovely Christmas stitching and lovely knitting .
ReplyDeleteYou must read so fast Julie, like my hubby ,I only read maybe a book a month ,but saying that I only read a chapter a night.
Have a wonderful weekend.
I agree about the embroidery, definitely a strange buddleia! Whatever it is, should look lovely when finished.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment on my blog....
You've been busy Julie. Loving the baa-ble hat and those wonderfully colourful socks.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, that's a very odd sort of a buddleia - lovely embroidery though
Both hat and socks are great and such lovely colours. We noticed that the water was very low at our nearest reservoir last week, we could see old tree stumps and building stones there. The books look good, I might look for one or two of those titles at the library:)
ReplyDeleteHermione's Everyday Socks is a pattern I have saved too, maybe for when I have confidence I won't have such big ladders! Your Yarndale socks look cozy on the line and the baa-ble hat has grown so much! I'm liking the cooler weather for sure.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it nice to do a round up each month and see all the lovely things we've made and done. Your knitting is lovely, looking forward to seeing the Baa-ble hat finished. A good selection of books too, my reading has slowed down lately. Seeing the colours of autumn always make me smile, nature at its best.
ReplyDeleteI love the sheep hat :)
ReplyDeleteSome interesting sounding reads too.
Love the sound of the book the forgetting time. I must learn to knit socks I'm missing out. Love the hat colours.
ReplyDeleteNice work on the stitching and the Baa-baa hat. Love Hermione's socks, but if she wears those everyday what does she wear for best? LOL
ReplyDeleteps definitely a hydrangea!
ReplyDeleteSo envious of you all getting to Yarndale - one of these years lol
ReplyDeleteI love your socks - both the single and the finished pair. I've lots of sock wool that I need to start doing something with, but there's so many gorgeous new patterns catching my eye every 5 minutes!
And the hat looks great - I"m enjoying this change in the weather to finish of a few bits on needles.
You are a very talented girl Julie. I love all of your projects. Your cross stitch is going to be so adorable. I just love that hat...how cute! Your knitting is wonderful as is your embroidery. It was a great group of projects that I really enjoyed seeing. Have a lovely week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute The Stockings Were Hung stitch. OMGoodness, I love Baa-ble hat, so adorable! I think the flower looks like a hydrangea too, very pretty. What great colours for Hermione's sock, so nice and bright. Your finishes look great too, getting ready for fall to finally arrive!
ReplyDeleteYour stocking are lovely, someday I will learn to knit.
ReplyDeleteI love fall stitching design, your ornament is adorable.
Buddleia is a Spanish word for bush butterfly's like this bush.
The sheep on that hat are a hoot love them.
I am a big reader, I will need to check the books out and maybe find them at the library, thank-you for showing them.
Catherine
Out blog walking this am and found my way here from someone else's blog. It's always fun to meet new bloggers. You've been busy with all your knitting, x-stitching, and embroidery...whew. Your trip to the lake looks nice. It's chilly here this am, so waiting for it to warm up before heading outside to walk or do yard work. Happy Sunday to you.
ReplyDelete