All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 8 January 2017

First stitching finish in 2017

The start of a new year.  Time to think about what we want from our lives and how we go about achieving it.

As I travel my own journey, I find there are different things I would like to do and enjoy.  Reading has become a big part of my life in recent years with volunteering at our little library.  DH bought me this book for Christmas.

 
A poem to read each bedtime for the coming year.  Last nights poem was about St Distaff's Day, I wrote about that last year on my blog here.
 
 
There are lots of different poets works inside the book, some I have heard of and some that are new to me.  It's going to be interesting reading the differing types of poetry as I end each day this year.
 
Today, DH and I headed out in the car to try and blow away the cobwebs.  We are still not 100% after the recent bugs and germs but it was nice to take a slow walk at a local reservoir.
 
 
We managed a short stroll and then had to sit for a while enjoying the view before we turned back
 
 
The sky was very cloudy and there was a mist hovering that reminded me of episodes I've been watching of Outlander, the reflection of the clouds on the water was beautiful.

 
A farmers field was full of geese making quite a noise as we walked
 
 
Closer inspection showed they were Canada geese, we wondered if they were on migration.  The poor farmers field did look like they had eaten a lot of his new crop.

 
Back home and I put my first stitching finish of this year into it's frame.   Joyful World SAL from Snowflower Diaries and I have now completed November.  I chose a piece of hand dyed fabric from a grab bag by Polstitches Designs.  
 
 
I've also made a start on the wool that DH bought me for Christmas. A pair of socks for me in the West Yorkshire spinners colourway pigeon.
 
 
Yesterday I had a blog reading catch up and saw some fabulous new things that have been started, a few designs that I had not seen before.  Lots of new SAL on forums and friends who are working on things together.  There are some who are experiencing sadness and worrying times in their families - {{hugs}} to you and one blog I read a lady had been away to warmer climates for a short break.  Furry friends featured in a few which made me smile.  It's lovely to connect with so many people who enjoy crafting hobbies like I do.
 
I've put my name down again for Jo's Gifted Gorgeousness in 2017 and i'll continue with the free Christmas challenge designs chosen each month by Christine over at Needlecraft Haven.  It means I should have 12 nice ornaments ready in time for next years festive season.  I'll also be doing a Seasons SAL - I've chosen a design that incorporates all four seasons into one piece of work and I've just signed up for a valentine exchange so a few things to keep me busy to start off this year. The meet up exchange from last year has a deadline coming up next month too.  I also have those intricate mittens that I bought at the NEC last year to start knitting some time ......
 
Wishing you a year filled with good health and happy and fun times, and plenty of relaxing crafting moments too.
 
Blessings to you all
 
Julie 

23 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I enjoy dipping into a poetry book from time to time Julie, it gets you thinking. I can't believe we're into another new year - last year was the quickest year ever and I know that I'm not alone in thinking this. I hope this coming year is a good one for you and your family.

gracie said...

That sounds like a delightful book. I will have to look for it. The pictures were really nice but they made me chilly! lol Love the sock yarn....

Vickie said...

November turned out great with that linen. What pretty socks!

Kerryp77 said...

The fabric is stunning on November, complements the stitching so much. Lovely start on the socks. It really does look like pigeon colours. Enjoy your book.

Katie said...

Oh I love your November finish. Too cute! Enjoy your poem book. The pics of your trip were very nice. The reflection in the water is just gorgeous! Good luck with your goals!

Bea said...

Lovely finish, the fabric was perfect. I'm sure you enjoyed getting out for some fresh air and that looks like a great spot for a stroll. Enjoy your poetry - sounds like a good ending to a day.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Love your photos of your reservoir walk We have a lot of Canada geese in our area, too. They seem to stay here all year round. Your November finish is lovely; the fabric is especially eye-catching. Your book of poems looks very interesting. I have been reading much more in the past couple of years, too.

Mini said...

The fabric for November is just perfect. Lovely pics of the walk.
Your stitching plans sound interesting.

butterfly said...


I always enjoying reading your posts.
Love the new stitch nice fabric . Your socks are looking great .
And love the Photos, we have some low land near by where C/ geese gather I just love them.
Happy New Year , and good to here you are both feeling better.

Maggie said...

What a lovely finish, the fabric is very pretty.

Good luck with you goals for 2017, I have joined the Valentine exchange on NH too, plus another one on a 'new to me' blog, hopefully they will help to keep me motivated.

Love the new sock start, i didn't manage to find time to start mine over Christmas, but they are still on my list of things to do :-)

Jo said...

What a lovely book. I've never been a great one for poetry but I've come to enjoy it more as I've got older and I think I'd enjoy a book like this. The fabric you've used for Joyful World is really lovely, it definitely adds to the design. Hope you're feeling a little better now, it's good to get out after a spell of being unwell, it really blows the cobwebs away.

Mii Stitch said...

A very pretty November stitching finish.
The fabric you have chosen for it is a perfect fit :)

Astrids dragon said...

What a fun thing to do every night, he chose a great gift!
Hopefully the fresh air was good for you both, what a beautiful area to take a walk.
I love the fabric you chose for November, it looks great. The colours in the wool for your socks is lovely, another great choice!

Lesley said...

A lovely gift from your husband.
The fabric you chose for the November Snowflower Diaries really adds to the pretty design.
I contemplated the West Yorkshire spinners yarn for my first ever sock knitting bit decided to see how I get on first :)
I love the colours of the yarn you are using. Hope you both feel 100% soon.

Tiffstitch said...

Glad you're feeling better and nice finish on November. Plus love that colourway for your new socks!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I have two poem a day books I read to my son, alternating each year. But I think I need that one too, especially if it gives a little fact about each day too.
Your plans for the year sound great. You can use the Valentine exchange piece for my Valentine's Blog Hop too!

Christine said...

That overdyed fabric is perfect for the November peacock!
Loving the new socks too

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It reads as if you will have a busy crafty start to the New year, Julie.
You poetry book looks interesting. I will have to take a closer look at it.

Penny said...

A poem sounds like a lovely way to end the day. And those are some beautiful pictures of your walk - looks very peaceful, well except for the geese. : ) That is such a pretty piece of fabric for your November piece! I hope you and your husband are feeling better soon ~ hugs.

Von said...

Oooo, I think the library would be a wonderful place to volunteer! But my reading pile would be so high I doubt I'd get through it, kinda like my stash, lol!

Carol said...

Good morning, Julie! First of all, I want to thank you for volunteering at your local library! As a librarian, I know libraries could never function without the countless hours put in by faithful volunteers :)

That looks like a wonderful book--and something to look forward to each day. I'm glad you could get away for a bit and walk outside... I'm beginning to feel a bit of "cabin fever" here in mid-January!

Love the fabric and finish of the peacock--so perfect... And your new socks look so pretty, too. Sounds like you have a delightfully creative year planned out--enjoy!

Brigitte said...

Oh Julie, you volunteer in your library. That's such a great place to wok, I was volunteering at our library for more than 20 years and it was never boring. The book you received from your husband sounds - and looks - very good. Enjoy reading in it each day.
Your first finish looks great. And I love the fabric you chose for it. These grab bags sometimes contain very interesting pieces, don't they?
Thanks for sharing all these wonderful pictures from your day out. I hope that it helped to get finally rid of your bug.

Barb said...

Hello sweetie, I must have missed your last post as I have just read it.Lovely read it was too. Super post again this time Julie, loving the look of the poetry book a little trip to the book store is needed I think. Oh coo I love those pidgeon socks and I think that someone will be very busy with her needles this year. Take care both and a big mwah and hugs.