All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 2 October 2016

Which season? take your pick!

Autumn is here, summer was taken out and my autumn SAL is now in the frame...
 

Time to start thinking about stitching up the winter one to complete the set.  It's all kitted up and ready to go.

Summer is over, but, I've been stitching a July piece this week.  Joyful World SAL from Snowflower Diaries in fact and another month finished and framed. 

 
I'm slowly catching up with these and stitching with the ladies at Nedlecraft Haven at the weekend when we park ourselves on the sofa to watch this seasons Strictly Come Dancing, hopefully i'll get caught up and finish them this year as planned.   You'll notice I'm omitting the border on these, as I do like this silver frame and stitching them on 28ct the design fits nicely without the border.
 
August and the lovely collie dog is on the frame and waiting for tonights Week 2 results show when we see who will be the first to be eliminated this series.

Are you thinking about Christmas gift making yet? The socks I started on my holiday that I showed you last time are completed, they are a Christmas gift,

 
I've printed and added a little paper band to them and on the reverse written the wool mix and washing and drying instructions for the recipient.   
 
 
One gift crossed off the 'to make' list and it's only the first week in October...organised or what! lol.
 
A different craft and using the sewing machine was Thursday evenings brain teaser at the Craftshare group.  We made a Dresden plate using the quilting technique.   A little bit wonky and some seams are not as perfect as I would have liked but not bad for a first attempt. 
 
 
 It's strange how you get used to using your own sewing machine and when you are using a different one things don't go quite to plan.   It was good practice and I do need it as i'm going to a quilting class later this month.
 
It was a terrible day weatherwise yesterday, cold and wet and we did in fact light a fire in the afternoon and sit watching the TV, very cosy, and I started another knitted Christmas gift.  We decided it was time to put away some of the garden furniture and typical today we have a lovely sunshiney day.   DH has been in the garden cleaning them ready to put them away .... but wait..... what's that I spy down the garden ..... SOMEONE seems to be taking a little afternoon  nap in the autumnal sunshine.......
 
 
Little pleasures .....
 
I hope you are all having a lovely weekend
 
Love and blessings
 
Julie

23 comments:

Lesley said...

I just love those socks Julie,you choose gorgeous yarn.
Another lovely finish in the Snowflower Diaries SAL.I have enjoyed watching the series being stitched all over blogland.
Having never quilted,I am admiring your Dresden plate,it is very pretty.
Great photo of your DH:) Hope you have a good week.

Marlene jones said...

We packed our main garden furniture away and I have done some of my pots, the weather is turning. I love your band on your socks, I am making hand made gifts this year and I will nick that idea, thank you.

Linda Harris said...

Love your Autumn stitch. I've got August, September and October to catch up with for the Joyful World SAL. Those socks look wonderful and what a great idea to add the band. I'm so glad it was today we did the muddy run as yesterday was cold and wet.

Jo said...

The autumn SAL is lovely, just perfect for this time of year, and you're doing well keeping up with Joyful World as well as everything else you do, it's looking great. What a fab idea that band is for the socks, I may have to borrow that idea. I've just started thinking about Christmas gifts but I'm only making a couple this year so I should get them done on time. We had rain here too yesterday so when we woke to sunshine this morning we jumped in the car and drove to the coast to make the most of it. Archie had a great time splashing in the rock pools.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I must admit that I can't craft whilst watching Strictly:-)
Today was a beautiful day here too - in fact it's been a lovely weekend. You've been busy with all your lovely crafting Julie, I do enjoy seeing what you get up to.

Una said...

I love your tapestries and those socks are so colourful it would be criminal to hide them with shoes.

Bea said...

Love the socks! And a terrific idea to add the band. Now THAT'S planning. The Dresden plate is beautiful - well done! Looks like your DH decided putting the furniture away was just a little premature - using them is much better. lol

Julie said...

That sounds like my kind of day Jo. Sun, sea and beach walking ..... perfect

Brigitte said...

Your autumn piece looks lovely. And wonderful to see July of the Joyful World series finished. What a nice fabric colour you used for it.
These socks are such a lovely gift for Christmas. And a neat idea to print out a paper band and add it to the socks.
You were doing great on creating your first Dresden Plate.

Maggie said...

Such a cute Autumn piece and i love those socks, what a great idea that band is!

Looks like your DH was making the most of the final days of summer, can't blame him :-)
Have a great week x

blue star stitcher said...

It is nice to enjoy a day of warm sunshine before Autumn and Winter weather is here in full force. And what a nice idea including the washing instructions with the socks.

rosey175 said...

You certainly have all your seasons covered! I like the band idea for the socks. Very helpful for the recipient!

I have started thinking about what to do with the plants. It's still warm enough that they are okay outside but soon they must make the trek indoors. I really envy your fire!

Vickie said...

I like July stitched on pink, it looks great!
The socks are a fantastic gift. I have just begun stitching Christmas gifts myself.

Christine said...

The flamingo piece is gorgeous Julie! Fabulous socks too

Von said...

I like the pink fabric of your July piece!!!
I'm glad your DH was getting some rays before they're gone until spring. :)

Mini said...

The Autumn is lovely. Great fabric choice for July Snowflower SAL. The socks looks cuddly .

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It's certainly been a mixture of seasons just recently!
Love the flamingos on their pink fabric.

Tiffstitch said...

Congrats on your finishes!

Justine said...

Good to see your DH making the most of the last of the sunshine! It has been quite nice here the last few days though probably not sitting out weather.
Your stitching and knitting are just lovely, especially the Autumn one. Great idea to swap projects out of the same frame.
Strictly is perfect for stitching - I just put it down for the actual dances and stitch through the rest of the chatter!

Barb said...

oooh Julie lots to oooh and aaaah over.I cannot think of Christmas until November you are so organised. Looks as if DH has the right idea about gardening , hope you had your feet up too.
Love to both xx

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

What a good idea to add the band to the knitted socks.
I hadn't noticed that the border was missing from your Joyful World stitching. As you say, that frame doesn't need a stitched border.

Karen said...

So much progress! I really enjoy the frame rather than the border. It looks exactly right.

Carol said...

Ah... I would love to laying in the sunshine like your husband is in that final photo, Julie--he looks perfectly relaxed :) We have had a lovely autumn here, but finally things cooled off last night and we had to turn our heat on for the first time since May.

Your finishes are both so pretty and I love the pink fabric you used for the flamingos--perfect! Great looking socks and how nice to have a start on your Christmas gift giving. I haven't even thought about it yet...

I don't quilt, but I would think the Dresden plate block would be a difficult one to master. Yours looks so pretty in the shades of yellows and greens :)

Enjoy the rest of October, Julie--I can hardly believe it is a third over!