All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 23 October 2016

A length of rope, scraps of fabric and a sewing machine

This weekend it was time for the twice yearly days tuition with the quilting lady at the community centre.

Bring along your own sewing machine and your basket of sewing aids (I take my lovely gift that Rachael made for me - you can read all about it and see the inside in this post if you haven't seen an etui box before)


The tutor gave each of us 6 metres of rope (read new washing line for that, that's what we used yesterday) and a pile of inch wide cotton fabrics

 
You wrap the cotton fabric around the rope and sew in a coil using a zig zag stitch ...
 
 
Here's a sample coil ...
 
 
As the coil base gets big enough you bend and attach the continuing length upwards to achieve the sides.....


and you end up with a finished small bowl looking like this.
 
 
and here it is upside down so you can see the depth of it....

 
10 metres of rope for the next one to try and make an oval basket which was a challenge.
 
All the bowls were different colours and sizes, here's the groups collection at the end of the class.  My oval one is the red/pink one bottom left.
 
 
A whole day spent sewing with like minded friends it was lovely.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend spent doing things you enjoy.

Blessings to you all

Julie

24 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Wow! Now I know what to do with the patchwork scraps and the skipping ropes we have.

Julie xxxxxxxxx

Marlene jones said...

Lucky you what a great day.

Barb said...

Oh Julie that looks so much fun,and useful too. I love workshops like that . I may not get things finished on the day but it is a bonus when you do. I can see many of your blog readers having a go at that. ]
Have a good week.xx

Jo said...

That's so clever and the bowls are fabulous. I like how they're all so different.

gracie said...

Great project. Did you have any difficulties with sewing it on the machine? Any tips you can share?

Linda Harris said...

How unusual and what an amazing array of pretty bowls. It's always nice to spend time learning new techniques and time with like minded people. Have a wonderful week x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That looks like a fun craft to try. I am not sure my attempts would look as good as your's though.

Lesley said...

What a great idea,all the bowls look fantastic.

Mini said...

Looks like a fun workshop. Good use of fabric scraps too.

Justine said...

That sounds like a fun day - great that you all finished something too!

Maggie said...

Well done making the bowls, i'm sure you will put them too good use.
I've seen this technique used before for making rugs, although i bet
it would get more difficult to hold the material and rope once it got bigger.
Nice effect though.

Brigitte said...

This is just great, Julie. I bought 10 meters of rope and the instruction sheet at a craft fair back in May but I haven't dared to start making such a bowl yet. Yours looks gorgeous, just as the other ones on the table. I should try it myself, too.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

A very neat idea Julie, mind you I would manage everything till I touched the sewing machine and then it would all go downhill!!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Your group made an impressive selection of bowls. I haven't seen these before.

Mii Stitch said...

This is so cleaver and the bowls will definitely be handy!!
Sounds like you had a fun & productive day :)

Penny said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your day, Julie! The bowls look like a lot of fun - something I might like to try someday.

Kaisievic said...

Wow! Julie, I am so impressed - very clever of you.

Bea said...

There really is something so special about crafting in community, isn't there? And your results are lovely.

Carol said...

What a neat bowl, Julie!! I loved seeing the variety of shaped, sizes, and colors, too. Yours looks great and I also love the blue one and the green and red on the far right would be wonderful for Christmas time :)

Von said...

Those bowls are just adorable! Looks like a fun project to do. :)

Sally said...

Oh wow that is amazing Julie!

Christine said...

Oh I like those! I might have to give that a try

rosey175 said...

That's an interesting way to make a bowl from scraps! I would think it would be a bit thick for a sewing machine but maybe the needle passes easily through the rope. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun with their bowls!

Tiffstitch said...

Wow! That is really cool. Does the sewing machine go right through the rope? Or do you sew both sides?