All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 27 April 2016

A Spring Break

 
 
 
We headed northwards and taking a different route instead of the usual motorway journey, for the first time we decided to go across the Humber Bridge
 

 
It was wonderful ....
 
 
 
We were the first people to stay in a newly let bungalow.  The view was fabulous, you could sit inside looking out to Cayton Bay just up the road to the right
 
 
or watch the sea stretch for miles out to the horizon

 
and to the left in the distance was Scarborough 

 
Weather was very mixed, sunshine, showers and very cold blustery winds but it didn't stop us have a relaxing time.

We wandered around Scarborough harbour with its castle high on the hill above


Across to the lovely  lighthouse (we did hear the fog horn on Tuesday as the sea fog was terrible, we couldn't even see the end of the garden never mind the sea view!)

 
Around the tight bends and up to Olivers Mount where they hold car/bike racing events.  It's open to the public on non-race days so DH took the car for a spin around the track pretending he was in a race :-) 
 
The view is fabulous of the town and South bay from so high up - and you can see the harbour and castle.  This headland separates North Bay (behind the castle) from South Bay
 
 
We sat a while on the steps at the bottom of the war memorial drinking from our flask and enjoying a cake from one of the many bakeries in the town soaking up the view and spotting places we knew.

 
Another day we crossed the moors, the weather changing at every turn from dark grey clouds
 
 
to sunshine and blue sky

 
Arriving at Grosmont Station, part of the North Yorkshire Moors railway we walked through the worlds earliest passenger railway tunnel built by George Stephenson to the engine sheds where you can watch men busy working on the engines.
 


 
A steam train arriving in the station so DH was treated to his holiday train fix.

It's a lovely old fashioned very small place with the countries oldest independent co-op little store still operating incorporating a post office now too.


A leisurely drive up the coast to Whitby - we've been here before and visited the Abbey high on the hill and up the 100 steps on a previous visit

 
so just had a walk around the harbour

 
and around the small quaint shops. 
 
I'd taken some knitting with me and inside a tiny wool shop I found the perfect pink flower buttons for the waistcoat so finished that.
 
 
Long walks around North Bay (this is the other side of the castle headland) wrapped up warm against the wind
 
 
From here when looking out to see we spotted a dolphin playing with a seal.  I was so excited to see it and watch it that the camera stayed in my bag so no snap to show you :-(

 
Sitting on the beach at Cayton Bay watching the surfers out to sea enjoy the waves (apparently its one of the few places they can surf at all hours of the day and all year so it's very popular).  We enjoyed some quiet time listening to the waves and reading our books - see we did have some sunshine and blue skies.
 

 
A lovely, restful week, caught up on reading....
 
 
Knitting for me - a new pair of socks were started (and finished since I've been home)
 

All too soon it was time to head south again and home.  We decided we would pay the toll charge to drive back over the Humber Bridge again and not succumb to the quicker route by motorway and of course the sun shone beautifully all the way home!

 
Since being home I've had a little accident.   A silly fall and am suffering a crack to the collar bone so not a lot of stitching has been happening but I did add the green border to the LHN SAL before it happened.
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed seeing my holiday snaps. As one friend said, our generation used to enjoy a get together with friends/family when you came home from a holiday to look through the photographs in the album you took and chat about the things you saw, but with technology that's now a thing of the past.
 
I am way behind on blog reading again what with one thing and another, i'll catch up with you all soon.
 
Blessings to you all
 
Julie

24 comments:

Tricia T said...

OUCH! I'm so glad it happened after you got home and you had a chance to enjoy your time away. Take care of yourself!

Justine said...

That sounds like the perfect spot for a relaxing break. I do hope you're OK and resting your arm x

Amy said...

Your trip sounds lovely! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Love all of your crafts, too. The little buttons are perfect for that waistcoat!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Ouch! Reminds me of the Betjeman poem The Hunter Trials "and now my silly old collar bone's bust!"

The holiday looks very relaxing though, maybe you should have another one to recover.

Vickie said...

Oh no Julie! I am so very sorry. I broke my collar bone in the 6th grade no fun at all. Do you wear a brace?
Your pictures are lovely. As is the perfectly trimmed waistcoat!!

Bea said...

I'm so sorry you've hurt yourself. I hope the pain is not bad and that it heals quickly.

Thank you for sharing your holiday - what a lovely spot to spend time!

Terrific crafting as well - those buttons could not have been more perfect!

Carol said...

At least your accident occurred after your holiday, Julie, but I'm so sorry you are suffering from the injured collar bone. My middle son broke his at birth, poor thing. I guess you just have to let it heal--hope you are not in too much pain.

Thanks for sharing your vacation photos--it really does look wonderfully relaxing and how great that you found such sweet buttons for Isabelle's "sleeveless cardigan."

Hope your injury heals fully and quickly!

Angela said...

I hope you heal quickly. Loved seeing your vacation pics :)

Clare - Aimetu said...

((Hugs)) Julie, I hope your collarbone heals quickly. A great holiday away, we've been to Scarborough a few times, lovely area. The bungalow looks the perfect get away place :-)

KC'sCourt! said...

Looks like you had a lovely break
Julie xxxxxxx

Brigitte said...

Oh Julie, what wonderful holidays this must have been. And I have to admit that this is the kind of holidays that I prefer myself - relaxing, reading, walking around, visiting old towns and villages, watching nature and looking at wonderful scenery. Thanks for sharing all these great pictures with us.
I hope that crack to your collar bone will be healed very soon and you can pick up your stitching again as usual.

Maggie said...

Thanks for sharing your holiday photos, looks like you had a relaxing time, and the bungalow was in a perfect place overlooking the sea :-)

Hope you are feeling a little better now x

Christine said...

It looks as if you had a lovely time Julie and such a wonderful view from your bungalow.
Great knitting and stitching too.
I hope your collarbone is mending well

Lesley said...

You had a lovely holiday,Julie, great photos. The Humber Bridge is very attractive I think.
My first ever long journey after passing my driving test in 1980 was to go to Beverley for a birthday celebration. I love that part of the country and I wish I could have gone over the Humber Bridge,but it did not open until 1981.
I do hope your fracture heals soon.Elder son and hubby have had collar bone breaks and they were in a lot of discomfort. I hope you are well on the mend.
Love the socks!

Jo said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. These are the seaside resorts we often visit when we go to the coast for the day so I know the area you visited quite well, and my sister used to live in Cayton so we'd often go to the bay when we visited. It looks like you were in a great spot with some fabulous views. I'm so sorry to hear of your accident and hope you're soon on the mend.

butterfly said...


Oh poor you , hope you are ok Julie, I still have a bad hand after my fall.
I thought I was ok last week but the pain in my hand keeps coming back.
Love all your photos , looks like a lovely place.
Cute buttons , and the socks look great , I may start knitting some late summer for gifts for the family .
Do you use DK or 4ply .

Von said...

What a wonderful spring break, but I'm sorry you had a bad fall! Don't you know you should be spraining an ankle in such falls so you have an excellent excuse for stitching?! JK - hope you are healed real soon!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It looks as if you had a lovely Spring break, Julie. I'm sorry to read of your accident. At least it didn't happen while you were away. I think these things often seem/feel worse when you are not on your home ground.

Tina said...

Your photo's are lovely Julie,looks like a nice place,hope your collar bone is healing,lovely stitching and knitting
Hugs x

Barb said...

How lovely to see a home again post from you Julie. Not so good hearing of your mishap, I am sure a certain little lady will be very pleased with her new knitted hug from nanny and your socks always look snuggly. I am liking the look of Scarborough and thereabouts so pleased you managed to get away. I can see a finish on Wednesday maybe if your poorly collar bone will let you. Meanwhile take care my friend and Healing hugs to you.

Kerryp77 said...

Oh dear Julie, hope it heals soon. Cosy socks and the little waistcoat is lovely. Looks like a lovely holiday too

Kaisievic said...

Sorry to read about your fall, no fun at all and if it is curtailing your stitching! Oh no! At least it happened after your holiday and you finished the waistcoat and the socks. Thanks for sharing all of the pics with us, I really enjoyed reading this post. I hope that your collar bone heals very soon.

JAS said...

Julie,
That looks like a lovely trip. So sorry to hear about your fall. I enjoyed seeing your handiwork. I've made a pair of socks really similar to yours.
So happy to find your blog, thanks to Fi.

Judy

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I enjoyed seeing your holiday photos Julie, it's a lovely part of the country but I've not been there for years.
I hope your recovery is speedy and smooth, it's frustrating to have limits on crafting:-)