All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Saturday, 5 September 2015

Time to open the exchange envelope

Way back in May it was the Spring meet with ladies from Needlecraft Haven, always a lovely time to get together with stitching friends from around the country.

We always have a stitched exchange to do as a reminder of the day, opening day comes a few months later. This time we wrote details on a card of favourite colour, favourite sweet, place you love to visit, and an author you like and the exchange was to be a finished ornament using these ideas or something you had learnt about your partner that day whilst chatting.

The final day of August, a bank holiday here in the UK - and a very wet one too - was brightened up as being the opening day for the exchange.

Gill (no blog) sent her lovely parcel she had put together to me.   I said I liked to read M C Beaton and Gill cleverly included a packet of raisins in the parcel to remind me of Agatha Raisin, that was a fun idea.  A lovely stitched ornament, green ribbon and of course my favourite Turkish Delight together with a Debbie Macomber book that Gill had bought twice and thought i might like completed the parcel.  Thank you very much Gill.


Mine went off to Jane.  Jane wrote she liked liquorice allsorts and when I spotted this fabric online it became the theme for my exchange. I stitched an old free chart from Hands to Work called 'Live Simply' over 1 in a variegated turquoise thread by Vickie Clayton Silks and used the liquorice allsort fabric to back it.  The remaining fabric I made into a drawstring bag.  I included a fun little bookmark I came across that holds your book open as you read so good for those with problems with their hands/wrists and of course no parcel would be complete without a sweet treat.

 
A closer pic of my ornament ...

 
It's always fun to take part in an exchange and receive a handmade special gift in the post lovingly stitched by a friend.

Do you remember the Clangers?  They've made a comeback on children's TV.   Isabelle asked if I could knit her one.  "You can knit anything nanny" she said - the simplicity of a childs mind!  A book was duly purchased online...



It had to be Mother clanger I was told.  Just the right shade of pink for the body (rose pink) the clanger was knitted, not too bad to do that bit.  Then came the fiddy felty bits that needed to be cut out ... nearly drove me nuts doing those.  I just need to put it all together now and finish it off.  She's hoping to get it next time I see her and has already asked me twice if its finished.  There might be a delay as it's still got a long way to go especially as each little red bit of felt - of which there are about 15 - needs to have sparkly stitching around it before you join it together to make the outfit.  What's the official terminology for a  delayed Clanger?  Perhaps i will not be asked to knit another if it's late lol.


Sock knitting in progress.  So bright and colourful this wool is and very nice to knit with.


The only stitching I've done is the Wednesday SAL.  The border was completed on Happy Skater.


We've had quite a bit of rain this past week and a visitor was spotted in the garden.  A little green cricket was sitting on the garden table, no idea where he sprung from or where he was venturing off to.


A little bad news here this week too as we woke on Friday to find that someone had stolen all the wheel trims off my car during the night.  No chance of finding them so i'll be out of pocket replacing them.  I was not impressed, but hopefully the person who took them has a greater need for them that I do or perhaps they will receive a punishment of some kind for their wrong deed in other ways.

I hope September brings you lots of lovely times ahead, and of course we will come into autumn this month too.  Strictly Come Dancing is back on the TV tonight with its launch show to excite us, but as DH pointed out it does mean that as each contestant leaves the show from the end of September and everyone looks forward to the programmes the following week, the run up to Christmas does seem to come round that much quicker.   It does of course also mean that lots of knitting or stitching should be happening whilst watching, which is good news. 

Love and blessings to you all

19 comments:

Ranae said...

I too, believe you can knit anything, I'm sure it will be perfect. Spoil that little sweetie, make her anything her heart desires, lol. Pretty socks and that was a fantastic exchange. Happy Autumn!!!

gracie said...

Wonderful exchanges and love your new project. I have never heard of the Clangers here in the states. Great projects that you are working on. So sorry that you will have an expense to replace the wheel trims. Your garden friend is certainly bright.

Linda said...

Beautiful exchanges. Loved the Clangers and I am sure it will look fabulous once you've done all those sparkly bits. Shame about your wheel trims. I'm recording Strictly as I am being distracted by the US Open.

Vickie said...

The exchange is so super! What work you two put into your ornaments!
Your socks always make me smile. :D

rosey175 said...

You have a lot of patience to wait so long before opening the lovely exchange! And the ornament you've created is just perfect, love the fabric.

I haven't the foggiest idea what a Clanger is but I have seen a lot of them recently haha. I have a feeling you'll be asked for the whole family at some point. ;)

KC'sCourt! said...

Love all the gifts. The clanger book looks great. Love that sock wool, what is it?
I believe in people getting their comeuppances! Someone may pinch the wheel trims from the person who pinched them from you!
Julie xxxxx

butterfly said...

What lovely exchanges , I love to read Debbie's books .
A really nice read.

Love all your stitching works and the wool for the sock's

Sorry about the wheel trims , not good .

Lesley said...

I am looking forward to seeing your completed Mother Clanger.I can see her shape in your knitting:)
Lovely exchanges,I really liked the design you stitched for your partner,a beautiful colour too.
What a despicable thing to do,stealing your wheel trims!
The socks you are knitting can only make the wearer feel happy,gorgeous colours and just right for wearing in cold dismal weather:)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

The joys of fiddly knitting Julie, it'll be worth it though when you see the little face light up.
So annoying about your wheel trims, these things happen all too often.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Ooo, naked deflated Clanger! My Mum made my sister a Clangers cake for her fourth Birthday. With edible Clangers and a Soup Dragon too.
The exchanges are lovely. So thoughtful. Your ornie matches the fabric perfectly too.

Carol said...

I've never heard of a Clanger before, but I think little Isabelle is right--you CAN knit anything, Julie :) Best of luck with this sweet gift for your little granddaughter.

So sorry to hear about your stolen wheel trims--how maddening! But, you have a good attitude toward the whole thing. Not sure I would be so understanding :)

I assume your Strictly Come Dancing is like our Dancing With the Stars--hope it is a good season both in the UK and the US. I know your Downton Abbey is starting later this month--I'm so looking forward to the last season, but not to it ending forever. I've so enjoyed these past five seasons...

Brigitte said...

Wonderful exchanges, Julie. Both of you were spoilt by great stitching and lovely goodies that were added to the exchange pieces. Nice new start. And I'm so curious to see the little Clanger finished.
So sorry to hear that your wheel trims were stolen over night. These things are not funny at all and cause a lot of anger.

Kay said...

These are lovely excahange gifts, I particularly like the fun drawstring bag. x

Maggie said...

Oooooh i remember the clangers, lol and of course Nanny's can do anything!

Lovely exchange, given and received.

have a great week xx

Mary Ann said...

Lovely exchanges--both sent and received! I love your Happy Skater WIP and the socks(wonderful colors)!! And, of course you can knit a Clanger--anything for our grandchildren!! : )

Justine said...

Lovely gifts both sent and received Julie - I love that allsorts fabric! I loved The Clangers especially the Soup Dragon - obviously I was thinking of my stomach a the time even as a child! Glad to hear the younger generations are enjoying the show too.

Mylene said...

Such lovely exchanges! Do miss it in participating for exchanges but couldn't permit myself for the moment as it's too busy with work and family as well as socially...
So sorry to hear about your wheel trims.

Parsley said...

Wonderful goodies!

Bea said...

Terrific exchange pieces, both sent and received. And you're proving your GD is right - you CAN knit anything. LOL You know she'll love it.