All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 15 April 2015

In the classroom....

I had a bumper crafting week last week with Saturday being really exciting.

I was invited to a quilting day.  Eleven  ladies and myself together with Linda (a very knowledgeable and experienced quilting teacher) spent 6 hours playing with fabric and sewing machines.

All set up for the day....


Linda had put together a kit for each of us to save time with the cutting of fabrics etc


and after some very careful sewing and concentration and lots of cups of tea, we ended up with this beautiful 'snappy bag' at lunch time. The closures are made using an old metal tape measure - ingenious and such a useful bag.


A lovely selection of bags was made by the ladies in the class ....


After lunch we used some scraps and all made a quilt square that will be made into a charity quilt in the future. There are 11 of the squares here so we need 1 more before the quilt can be put together.


It's very tiring concentrating for 6 hours on something new, but also very enjoyable. Roll on the next class.

A little knitting -

2 fronts added to Isabelle's birthday cardigan

 
A different type of matinee jacket for the hospital charity knitting group


A little stitching -

Irish Garden for the UFO weekend stitching. Top left border now complete.


Wednesday parlour stitching with Barb and the ladies at Needlecraft Haven and oh dear...the frog came visiting. How can you stitch one row to low and not see it till you are putting it away? Well, that had to come out and be restitched.


Finishing -

Snow Bunnies is finally stuffed and finished off


Papercrafting -

A little origami box was made at the Thursday Craftshare evening complete with lid. Jim, our one and only senior guy who comes along to the group is a keen papercrafter and makes some wonderful things - thanks Jim for your patience with us girls - we do tease the poor guy but he takes it all in good fun and he's a valued member of the group each week.  He showed us all how to make this lovely box complete with lid last week.

 
A really good week full of fun and laughter with friends. I am very lucky to be able to have a community that offers all these great things I can enjoy and take part in and of course to be part of the online community and share with you all is a bonus for me. Thank you for dropping in and the encouragement you give.
 
Today, the sun has got his hat on and its been that way for the last few days, I hope you are enjoying it too. It also makes the flowers come out in the garden. It's camelia time in my garden at last.

This beauty with her big blousy blooms is what I see from my kitchen window, it does make doing the washing up so much nicer!

 
I have another just outside the conservatory window that was a gift from a neighbour when he moved house about 20 years ago. It's a different type and stands at 7 feet tall.


 
and my final one belonged to my late grandmother and was a gift for her 80th birthday. When she passed away I was given it for my garden. I have no idea what its called, but the flowers are so delicate on this one. It's been in my garden for a long time now, almost 26 years.


I love spring and camelia time, even if the blooms only last for a few weeks each year. I think they are my favourite garden flower although its not practical to cut them and have them indoors.

Wishing you all lots of time to enjoy the hobbies that you love.

Blessings to you all



29 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I'm getting very excited at your progress in Irish Garden now!
You do seem to have a great group of crafters in your town. But I am not sure you are even in England looking at your lovely flowers, it seems more like Summer where you live.

Sue said...

Another lovely post Julie packed full of things you have made and again I'm amazed at how much you fit into each week. You are so lucky to have a good crafting community where you live, I wish there was something like that around here x

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a lovely mix of crafts Julie, it's great that you can be part of such a lovely community. Your camellias are so bonnie, we can't have them in our garden - the extreme cold kills them off so if we buy one we only have it for a short time and then it never flowers again. I've been tempted quite a few times but this year I've resisted so far.

Jan Gartlan said...

Lovely crafting Julie. I love your charity work. Irish Garden is gorgeous. You sew beautifully

Marlene jones said...

You have been busy creating some lovely items, I love to see treasured plants come back each year, my peoney is 60 years old!

Christine said...

Lovely work Julie, the bag is fabulous, and such a clever idea to repurpose a measuring tape for the fastening.
Gorgeous camellias, Mine still aren't quite out but they're on the north side of the house so they tend to be late

KC'sCourt! said...

You have had a wonderful crafting week. Wished I lived near you, I would join all those groups!
Julie xxxxx

KC'sCourt! said...

You have had a wonderful crafting week. Wished I lived near you, I would join all those groups!
Julie xxxxx

butterfly said...

Julie it was so good reading about your fun week , love the bag you made love all your cross stitching , your box , and knitting.
And what lovely flower photos just beautiful .
Happy days.

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lots of lovely crafting Julie, lots of concentrating too on some beautiful work.

It's lovely to see the flowers and sun - spring is here :-)

Maggie said...

Wow, lots going on for you again, and lovely results :-)

Love the snappy bag :-)

Lovely flowers too, you are lucky to have inherited such lovely plants. Our Camilla has just started to bloom lovely this last week, they are beautiful.

have a good weekend xx

Vickie said...

My goodness you are productive! You are blessed to have such friends and laughter!
You know I love those camilias! ;)

Mii Stitch said...

Looks like you had a great time at the craft class. The little bag is just perfect! Love the snow bunnies finish :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow what an awesome and varied crafting week you've had! Classes are just awesome and I find I come away excited and invigorated!!!

Keep going with that UFO I'm loving it!

Von said...

What a fun day of sewing you had, Julie!! Love the project you completed. :)
Looking at your roses makes me so excited to mine to pop out! I see little buds starting to form - yay!

Barb said...

Ok Miss Julie what a week you have had, with some amazing results too. I love the fabric at the bottom of snow bunnies, those needles have certainly been busy and the little paper box is just sooo sweet. Camillias are lovely arent they ours are out but don't look as healthy as yours , we have them in pots as our soil does not suit them.Like that delicate pink.

Stitching Happy said...

Wow what a busy week!
I love your patchwork and the knitting is looking great.
Lovely stitching and fab bunny finish.
Your Camelias are beautiful. I have a camelia but it never flowers. Guess I'll have to replace it!

Hawthorn Spellweaver said...

What an incredibly full crafting weekend - beautiful goodies to show for it too :)

Justine said...

You are so talented! How wonderful to be able to try so many crafts in your community. I love those clever snap bags you made and your lovely Snow Bunnies finish.

Sally said...

What a lovely post Julie. Your bag looks brilliant as does the quilt. Lovely origami box too.

Lots of gorgeous knitting and stitching too. The snow birds ornament is so sweet.

Wow your camelias are gorgeous!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Julie, you are always so busy with many different things. I love everything you've shown this week.

Jennifer M. said...

So many creative lovelies you have made. Love the bag. That is a great design.

I really need to get back to my paper crafting too. My stash has been long neglected.

rosey175 said...

Love the little basket by your sewing machine! I am searching for a machine to (re)learn how to do such fun stuff. The snap bags turned out great, and so well coordinated. :D

Snow bunnies finished up so well and I adore your flowers. Your camelias look lovely and inherited plants are the best. I dug up some of my mother's peonies to put at our new place; something abou them feels like home. :)

stitcherw said...

What a fun mix of crafting you had. The bags looked like they'd be very handy, and I love the idea of the snap close due to the old metal measure tape. The quilt looks like it will be gorgeous when finished as well. What a lovely gift for a charity. The Cardigan looks like it's coming along wonderfully as well. Love you're Irish Garden, the stitching and coloring is lovely. Your flowers are so pretty and summery too. We don't have many flowers out here yet, but they are starting to peek out, so hopefully pretty soon.

WendyCarole said...

You have been busy this week. Love all the bags and the cardi. Loved it all really :)

Angela P said...

I love seeing everything that you do, I love the cabled cardigan!

Brigitte said...

You have been crafting up a storm lately, Julie. So many wonderful things that you made. I love your new adventure into quilting. This little bag you made in the group is looking really gorgeous. You are rwally lucky that you have such a wonderful crafting community where you live.
Very nice stitching and knitting progress.
And such great flowers that you already have in your garden. Enjoy them all.

Tina said...

Busy week for you Julie,love everything you have made.the garden looks fab,great stitching too xx

Melanie said...

So many great little projects. God, I WISH my area was that interesting and full of life. It all sounds like great fun. Love that you could come home with a bag after one class. Looks like a great bag to store a little sweater or sock project. :)