All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Thursday, 2 October 2014

Look who's here.....

When I was a young girl, many moons ago now, on the classroom wall at school there was a huge map of the big wide world.  All the countries were different colours and it seemed such a vast place. The teacher would point out the UK and remind us that we were a little island compared to Europe and the USA and other larger countries.

I've grown a lot since then and so has technology and how we communicate with people.  We can now chat via Skype to folks in these countries so far away and phone calls are cheaper or even free.   Over the last few years I've formed quite a few friendships with stitchers and crafters across the world.

It's always nice to chat via email and blogs etc and hear news, you think that you will never meet some of these people as they live to far away.  What's even better though is when you can actually meet up in person.

Gillie, a British lady now living in Michigan in the USA and i have been doing a SAL earlier this year of Elizabeth Designs Nature's Alphabet.  Mine is finished but Gillie still has a little to do on hers.

She is in the UK this week and was passing though my city so emailed to ask if we could possibly have a meet in person ...... yes please!!


We met a 5 minute drive from me at a local small garden centre before she was heading up north to meet more friendly stitchers.  We had a lovely time and of course I had to take along my finish.  She's promised to get on with hers now and get it finished so we can perhaps do something else together.

 
Here's the proof Gillie that mine is done and you have seen it ..... get stitching!
 
I took along my latest little finish to give to her as a reminder of our first meeting.  A little biscornu that I had been doing at the Craftshare.  Some of the other ladies have been making one too as they were surprised how 2 little squares of fabric could turn into such a funny shaped pincushion. 
 
Not my best work as its on 14ct aida and the design is a quick made up little stitch......
 
 
I'd added my name and date to it as a reminder and Gillie liked it.

 
Thanks Gillie for taking time out of your trip to spend a couple of hours with me, it was very enjoyable and lovely to meet you.  Have a wonderful time with your friends before you head off home again across the sea.
 
You know what folks, we might connect through the World Wide Web but that huge world that was once out there is a small world these days.  Who would have thought that little girl looking at the map all those years ago thinking about how folks live in other countries would be sitting drinking coffee and eating cake all those years later in her own neighbourhood through the power of technology and friendship.
 
AND .... next month another visitor from the USA will be stopping by at the twice yearly meet up, she's coming over for her first trip abroad to the UK to meet us stitchers and spend time with a good friend of hers.  Two visitors in two months from across the pond......exciting stuff!
 
 
 

26 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, what fun, Julie! Did you know that I got to meet Gillie, too? Her daughter lives near me in Pittsburgh :) So glad the two of you got to meet and share your finishes of Nature's Alphabet...

gracie said...

How special.

Heather said...

That's so fun! Glad that you got to meet up. :-)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Its always so special when I get to meet other stitchers while travelling.

Mii Stitch said...

Beautiful friendship :)

Clare - Aimetu said...

So lovely for you and Gillie to meet :-)

Clare - Aimetu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

It's wonderful to meet up with people through a shared interest. I met my good friend Karen through a cross stitch penpal ad and we meet up at least once every year and it's wonderful.

cucki said...

So sweet *•*

valerie said...

How wonderful that you got to meet Gillie! It's wonderful to finally meet someone in person that you've been chatting with for a while online. I think your biscornu looks great! I am sure she loved it! :)

Christine said...

How exciting for you both!
Super little biscornu

Mouse said...

oooooo .. I will bug her tomorrow ... I will be seeing her then ...lol
lovely photos of you both :) love mouse xxxxxx

Lianne said...

Lovely!

Vickie said...

This is exciting stuff! I would love to meet another stitching friend. Good for you two. :)

Sue said...

Lovely for you to meet Gillie, sounds like you had a great time x

Hazel said...

Awww so that's Gillie! Hello Gillie!! Isn't it funny how we often imagine people to be and they look so different in real life. Looks like you both had a great time. x

Gillie said...

I had a lovely time with you and love my biscornu! Thank you so much for coming to meet me!

Lesleyanne said...

How great to meet in person. Your biscornu is lovely I am sure she will treasure it.

Rachael G said...

It is nice to meet in person, I remember when I first met you... A while back now! I am looking forward to meeting the other visitor from the usa at the meet up too. Xx

stitcherw said...

That's awesome that you got to actually meet up, what fun to meet in person after meeting only online for so long. Your Natures Alphabet is lovely, and what a fun remembrance your biscornu will be. Glad you were able to have times that work to meet up when she was over your way. Sue

Maggie said...

How lovely you got to meet up, and what a lovely photo of the two of you. X

Ranae said...

How fun!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

How wonderful! I follow Gillie's blog too, she is a lovely person and I imagine your meeting was great fun.

I wish I lived closer to some stitchers, I love to meet up with people.

Sweet little biscornu too, one of those is on my "ought to stitch" list.

Sally said...

Oh how wonderful that you got to meet Gillie. Lovely photo of you both. Love the biscornu that you stitched.

Brigitte said...

It's so great to meet a stitching friend who you have known only through emails in person. I used to penpal a lot in the times before the internet existed and sometimes was lucky to meet up with some of my penpals. These visits were always very pleasant events.

I know Gillie is a very special stitching friend. She sent me a skein of thread when I couldn't find it here.

Melanie said...

Looks like FUN! How great that you were able to meet up!! :)