All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 25 May 2014

No internet and not a lot of time either!

Life in general has thrown some spanners into the works here recently and has been somewhat stressful and time consuming especially this past couple of weeks.  DH is still undergoing tests etc at both drs and hospital, some good news and some not so good and other family have things going on that has been out of our control too. 

Our internet connection was down for a few days which didn't help either.  Next door had their driveway pressure washed by a professional company and as the cables run along the boundary between us they became waterlogged due to the pressure of the water and we had to wait for them to dry out..... 4 days it took!  Did I stitch more due to it ... no, I certainly didn't, I was spending time in other areas giving help and support to family and friends who needed it.

I've just uploaded pics from the camera over the last couple of weeks and here's what was on it ...

Nature Alphabet - SAL with Gillie, T & U added....



It's looking really lovely and I do enjoy my evening each week on this, each little letter is like a happy dance finish.


CCN SAL with Barb and the ladies at NH - Gingerbread Emporium had only a few stitches put into it to add the roof and a start on the side.


Irish Garden hasn't had much attention either, just the shamrocks to finish the 4 corners completed. This will be out again today and one of the borders will get some attention, these are all speciality stitches so should add something nice to it.

 
Today is the reveal for this months challenge - a free design from the web chosen by Christine for us all to stitch and finish as we choose.  The last little piece of gingham has been used from my bits and pieces bag.
 
 
I'm pleased I have been able to keep up with the monthly challenge and now have 5 super little designs so far this year all so different.
 
 
A little birthday gift was sent out, a simple coaster finish, but the wording made me smile.  It was well received and liked which was nice.
 
 
At the craftshare we have been looking at making the best use of fabric offcuts, not wasting a single inch.  Another learning curve.
 
We were asked if we would like to make some bunting, easy I thought, but then as it was explained more, I realised why we were having this lesson.
 
How would you use the template?  Would you position it in a straight line one after the other as it looks when finished and cut out wasting the bottom half, or would your little brain cells think that the template could be placed upside down and used again, this way only using half the fabric.  And, this you can do with pattern pieces too when making other things and also turn the pattern piece over to use the minimum of fabric, thus saving cash and fabric for other uses. 
 
The fabrics I chose were -  a cream, that was easy, it didn't have a pattern at all!
 
 
Pale pink with a small white pattern, that was also able to be used either way round.
 

My patterned one was a bit different but it didn't matter if it was upside down or not, the pattern was a bit random on it and quite vintage looking, it really appealed to me, but was only a very small piece so only a few triangles of that were made.


 
The class is growing each week and last week there were 25 people who came along to learn something new. We were all making something different, all at different stages and having a fun time.

My finished simple bunting  (don't look too close, there are errors) ......
 
 
is now hanging outside on the arbour in the garden and very pretty it looks too and will make me smile over the summer months.  Midge seems to approve too!
 
 
We've also treated the birds that visit the garden.  Our old table was quite rotten and had to be thrown out.  We saw this new metal one at the supermarket and it came home with us.  With only having the thin pole, we have been able to position it closer to the house. 
 
 
The pigeon and magpie seem to be enjoying the mealworms and suet that hubby placed there on the day he put it up.  We've also had smaller birds visiting, which has been nice to see them closer to the conservatory window instead of right down the garden.

This weekend here in the UK we are celebrating the Spring bank holiday, an extra day off work for everyone ... well nearly everyone, not those who work in the retail industry and the emergency services.

The extra day off will be very welcome here, Monday will be Miss Isabelle's third birthday - how time flies.  Some family time with a lovely homemade birthday cake and we've bought her a new bike with stabilisers and helmet and pads to protect her should she fall so I guess i'll be walking alongside her as she ventures out to try out the new pressie.

Overseas visitors also will be enjoying a long holiday weekend too so do enjoy your holiday weekend everyone, whatever plans you have for it.

27 comments:

Vickie said...

Love the way the bunting looks in your garden spot. :)
Have a beautiful day with Isabelle!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Hi Julie, Sorry that life is less than ideal for you with DH's health, etc. Thinking of you. As always, your stitching is lovely. Enjoying watching your progress on Irish garden. Think I would enjoy relaxing in your garden, it looks lovely :)

stitchersanon said...

It never ceases to amaze how quickly life goes from being normal to disasterous. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers re: hubby and the tests. Love the projects, each and every one of them. Gorgeous xx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's good to learn new techniques Julie. Life has a way of taking us on a roller coaster ride - I feel as though I'm on shifting sands at the moment so I can relate to what you're saying.

Carol said...

I hope your stitching is helping ease some of the anxiety that you have going on in your life these days, Julie. I do hope all turns out okay for your husband...

Beautiful work and I loved the photo of all five ornaments together--great job! I still have to stitch an ornament for May--not much time left...

I love the bunting and your little garden spot looks so inviting--especially with Midge lounging there :)

Take care, Julie, and know I'll be keeping you in my thoughts...

Von said...

The bunting looks so sweet over the arbour! I'm sure the peacefulness of your garden helps you to destress . Mine does that for me. Praying the doctors find answers for your husband and he is restored to good health.

cucki said...

Love the way the bunting looks in your garden spot. :)
Have a beautiful day my dear..
Pretty stitches like always...
Big hugs xx

Sue said...

Hope your worries go away soon Julie, thinking of you. Love the bunting in your arbour, a lovely place to sit and relax.

Mary Ann said...

Julie, I hope all that is going on in your family straightens out soon, and that the doctors find answers for your DH's health issues so that he will be on the road to better health.(hugs).

Your stitching is lovely as always, and your garden is beautiful! And, enjoy that special day with little Miss Isabelle!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice to see you back! I am so ebjoying the progress on your garden pieces, I will be rather sad when they finish, especially the alphabet as the end is so close.
Your bunting looks lovely. Maybe it's because I was brung up dead poor but it wouldn't occur to me NOT to tessallate the template and make every inch of fabric count!
My margins are always the bare minimum anyway LOL

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

And well done on keeping up with the challenge! I knew I couldn't manage that one as well as the Hallowe'en one. Christine does choose some great designs each month though, your tree will look fab.

Jan Gartlan said...

Sorry to read yr hubby had been unwell. Lovely progress with the alphabet!

Marlene Jones said...

I hope your hubby results are good, its a hard time when someone you love is unwell.
Love your bunting, your sewing group sounds perfect, wish we had one in this area.
Have a good birthday day today, hope it's not raining too much.

Mii Stitch said...

I hope things settle down a bit for you. Great update on the sampler. Take care xxx

Christine said...

Great stitching Julie. I love your challenge finish on the gingham linen.
The bunting looks very summery in your garden

Lesley said...

Your alphabet is more lovely each time you post a picture.
I hope you have some time to stich and relax this week.

Penny said...

So sorry to hear about your husband, Julie. Sometimes it seems everything happens at once. Hope the doctors have answers soon. Your Nature Alphabet is so pretty! Sweet ornaments too ~ my plans for ornament stitching never seem to work out too well. :) Love your little garden spot with the bunting.

Angela P said...

I love seeing your alphabet project grow. The ornaments look lovely together. Hope your hubby is feeling better soon :)

Rachael G said...

The bunting looks gorgeous! I look forward to seeing what else you make. Sending you Hugs xxx
Look on my blog for a surprise!

butterfly said...

I love your bunting to Julie it looks wonderful .
Sorry the last week was not to good we all have bad ones now and again, hoping this week will be a better for you hugs .

Mylene said...

Love your version for the monthly challenge..all WIP's are coming along beautifully!
Hope all goes well for your hubby!

Melanie said...

The ornaments all look great together. They really do add up quickly. (Can NOT believe it's almost June already!!)

The bunting looks fabulous as well. It's in a perfect spot to make your sitting area nice and cozy. A really neat idea to use up those bits of fabric we seem to 'acquire'. :)

Good thoughts for your hubby!!!

Maggie said...

Your ornaments look great Julie, It's amazing how quickly they add up. Love the bunting, (i'm on a bunting mission too at the moment), and it looks great in the garden :-)

Hope hubby is feeling a bit better now.
Take care xx

Tina said...

Hugs Julie,hope DH 's health improves.

Love your bunting,it looks fab in situ

Love how your alphabet is coming on and your Xmas ornies look fab xxx

DUSTY said...


all of your stitching is lovely Julie. Who is the designer for the Nature Alphabet -- I love it !!! I see we are sharing Husband health issues these days. I will keep you both in my prayers. Hope other matters soon settle for you. Take care !!

Anne said...

Glad to hear you have the internet again! It's funny how much we rely on it now. Beautiful progress on both the alphabet and Irish garden. The bunting is fabulous! It's a great way to use up odd parts of fabric! It adds a nice touch to your garden!

Brigitte said...

Oh my, 4 days without internet, that's not very funny. BUt glad to see that it's back into use again.

Your little spot in the garden looks so inviting with the bunting now. And also the birds feel invited :)

I love the picture with all your ornaments you've finsihed this year. It's great to add one more each month. And they are all so different, very lovely. I'm already a bit behind with my monthly Santa stitching, so there won't be 12 Santas by the end of the year. But 10 would be nice as well.

Great progress on al your WIPs.

I hope that your husband will soon feel better.