All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 26 February 2014

February's Challenge

The gallery is now open for February's Christmas ornament challenge at Needlecraft Haven, the challenge is run by Christine.

This challenge is to stitch the given free design each month using whatever threads you like and finish it any way you choose.

This time, the chart was from Steekjes & Kruisjes van Marijke and the design can be found here.

There were lots of finishes this month and you can see them all in the gallery.  Well done ladies!

Most were similar to the charted design but mine was very different.

I made a little Christmas stocking, hand drawn and little bit of a funny finished shape, but you get the idea of what it's supposed to be .....
 
 
and as I was cutting the backing piece of fabric I noticed it fell right across the saying "Special Present."  Quite perfect and not planned at all, although the little stocking doesn't contain a present,  the stocking itself will be a present at Christmas for a family member in their Christmas parcel. 
 
 
It says on the border of what's left of the fabric fat quarter I have that this fabric design is "exclusive to Joann's."  It came to me in a little parcel from across the water a while ago.  I've received some wonderful and beautiful fat quarters over the time I have been blogging and making overseas friends in exchange parcels and as gifts, they are such a useful and precious thing in an exchange parcel.
 
The design for March has been chosen and is soooooo cute, but if you are not a member at NH you'll have to wait until the end of March to see which one Christine's chosen for us this time.  I'll give you a clue, it's a snowman ..... lol.
 
 
Thank you for all your anniversary wishes for hubby and myself and also for your expert advice on the bunny button situation in my last post.
 
A very well known online stash shop here in the UK has the Elizabeth Designs Nature Alphabet chart for sale and they have a kit list for it.  On looking it's not the brass charm, what they have is another type of button with only one hole in it.  I've decided I'm going to wait till I've finished stitching it and try and find a little hare in the meantime. You never know I might just see a link to a shop I have never visited before on a blog and come across the perfect thing.  Last night was supposed to be SAL night will Gillie on NA...... but I have been sitting on the naughty step today and emailed Gillie to say I didn't stitch on it.  I had an appointment with a bedtime story and a little lady instead and was late home.  Tonight it's The Little House in the Country with the Sampler Girl SAL (in other words, parlour night with Barb and the ladies at NH stitching on a design by LHN, CCN or Sampler Girl) so my Santa's Village Candy Cane Cottage will get the roof mended now I have found the missing thread to repair the roof tiles and i'll probably be having a fall of snow there too.  I'll be stitching on Nature Alphabet on Thursday this week instead.
 
Well done to all those in the Stitch from Stash, I've caught up on some blog reading this afternoon and you are all doing so well with it for the second month.
 
Happy Stitching and crafting everyone.
 
 

22 comments:

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lovely ornament Julie - there were some great finishes this month

stitchersanon said...

love the little stocking, it looks perfect. What a nice idea, a year of freebies. Perfect for those who are stashless!

Mii Stitch said...

Fantastic finish, your ornament is so sweet!

Lesley said...

What a lovely way to finish your stitching.

Melanie said...

Just love this stocking! The fabric really makes it your own design. It's darling.

Vickie said...

What a sweet stocking. You are right, so different. And great!

Barb said...

OOH Nice and unusual finish there Julie. I have just finished growing trees in the meadow and had a snowfall!!!
Will mail you tomorrow hopefully.
Hugs as always and much love.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

A very neat little finish. I wish I could get into the smalls groove but every time I try, I end up going back to bigger projects.

Sue said...

Love the little stocking Julie, a great way to finish it. Like the look of the snowmen for this months challenge, might have to have a go at one of those x

Gwen said...

Out of the box thinking on the stocking finish. You did a great job.

Lesleyanne said...

A gorgeous finish.

Christine said...

Love your stocking finish Julie

butterfly said...

What a lovely stocking you did a great job hugs June.

Brigitte said...

That's such a nice idea to have many stitchers stitch and finish the same design in different ways. It was so interesting to see all the results. I love your little stocking finishing.

Shirlee said...

Very cute stocking : )

Parsley said...

Perfect choice of colors on the stocking. Well done!

Carol said...

I like what you've done with that little freebie, Julie--very cute stocking and fabric :)

Regarding your Nature's Alphabet bunny: I used the suggested one http://www.123stitch.com/item/Mill-Hill-Sitting-Bunny-Matte-Crystal/12135 and it is such a nice addition and a good size. There is also a tulip charm for the bottom left block that is so pretty: http://www.123stitch.com/item/Mill-Hill-Very-Small-Tulip-Matte-Fuchsia/12213 If you have trouble getting either, I'd be happy to order them and send them to you :)

Kate said...

Love the stocking finish Julie it really suits the design.

Kate said...

Love the stocking finish Julie it really suits the design.

stitcherw said...

Love the stocking, what a fun way to finish it off. Looking forward to seeing your headway on Santa's Cottage, that is such a fun series. As to the bunny button, I think I'd wait too, you have a while and you may still come across the perfect fit for it just by keeping your eyes open. Although, I do like the one bunny and the size and the way it faces are good, wonder what would happen if you soaked it in some weak tea for a bit, it might take a bit of the stark white coloring off so the coloring would fit in a bit more. Although, when you finish the whole piece and look at it again, you may find the white of it isn't as eyecatching with a larger piece as it is now.
Sue

Catherine said...

I'm trying to catch up with blog reading ~ loved seeing all of your recent projects over your last few posts!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love your little stocking finish. It's perfect for this design.

I think you definitely need a hare charm for the sampler, not a bunny because it's under H. Hope you find a good one.