All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Monday, 27 January 2014

Stitch, bake, knit, read

Last time I said it was going to be reveal day for the January monthly challenge over at Needlecraft Haven, a free online design chosen by Christine for us to stitch and make up just as you like. Yesterday was that day and the gallery was opened for all to see.  A lot of ladies took part this month and they were all wonderful finishes too - well done ladies.

The design this month was by The Little Stitcher called 'The Sheep Day', a free chart from December 2013.

This is my version - I changed the sheep to DMC ecru instead of the charted white so they looked different to the snow, more of a dirty cream than pure white sheep!

 
DH has asked me to thank you all for your kinds words and thoughts regarding his health.   We've been to the hospital for some further tests and he has more to come before we get some answers so still we wait.  With that in mind, we have still been spending quiet time at home and not venturing far, but to be honest the weathers not been up to much so its been the best place to be.
 
Small simple things have been giving me pleasure this past week, here's what's on my camera from my quiet week. 
 
A lovely bunch of flowers from DD for us both, a just because I love you surprise.
 
 
A little stitching on Santa Village for the parlour SAL on Wednesday with Barb and the ladies at NH.  Christmas Tree Farm now has a house/shop from which to sell the little trees.....
 
 
Trying out a new recipe for No Knead Bread which I read about on Lucy's blog - Attic 24, mine turned out just fine and was lovely.....
 
 
A little update on Irish Garden, the UFO project.   A project that you stitch on sometime over each weekend and hopefully make lots of progress - or in my case, a little progress with all the fiddly counting.  The kitty is settled in the pink camelia border this week
 
 
Picking some homegrown winter vegetables for Sunday dinner.....
 
 
A little knitting when the brain doesn't want to concentrate on counting and stitching .....
 
 
A new start, the one I should have started 1st January but didn't.  Nature's Alphabet by Elizabeth Designs, a gift last Christmas from a stitching friend.  Again, I changed the beehives as I didn't like those charted.  Standard DMC thread on 28ct raw linen I've chosen, its nice to have the speciality stitches to add some interest to the design.
 
My progress last week ...
 
and the finished chart design...
 
 
Using up Christmas leftovers, the half jar of mincemeat that was in the fridge made into a batch of mince pies and some jam tarts for a little visitor that came to play.
 
 
Nothing very exciting to many, nothing wonderful or amazing, a week of normal family stuff just like it is for many of us.   I've also been reading.  A set of 6 books donated to the Book Borrowers just after Christmas.  They are only small books, but a fun read that has brought a smile to my face and laughter at some of the antics the folks get up to. I'll show you those next time as I've almost finished the final one.
 
I hope you have a lovely week and enjoy spending time with those you love and hold dear.
 
Happy stitching, knitting, crochet and crafting, blessings to you all.
 
 

24 comments:

Kate said...

A quiet week at home sounds like just the ticket to me Julie, especially with the hideous weather. Lovely progress update I'm going to enjoy watching Natures Alphabet progress.
Hope the wait on tests etc is not too long.

Clare - Aimetu said...

Great monthly challenge finish and I love your new start. So nice of DD to send flowers - love to you & DH

Marlene Jones said...

Julie you have been busy, you are right it is the small things which make life.

butterfly said...

Lovely post Julie very warm and cosy post love it.
I love staying at home when I can , and enjoying doing the things that I love to do.
Your flowers are so lovely you have a sweet daughter.
Love all your stitching the ABC one looks great.
I can smell your mince pies from here.
Enjoy your week sending hugs & xxx.

Mii Stitch said...

I love nothing better but to stay at home, prepare homemade food for my family, relax and stitch!! A lovely warm post just how we like them xxx

Vickie said...

Oh my! Nature's Alphabet is lovely. What a beautiful bunch of flowers from your DD.

Carin said...

ohhh you did a lot of baking and stitching. i love the sheep ornament !!!!

valerie said...

Julie, it seems like you've been very busy! Love your finishes! And is that a bunny in the making? Your no knead bread looks delicious. I may need to try that myself one day soon.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Sounds like a wonderful week filled with baking, stitching and knitting!

Kerryp77 said...

The sheep ornie looks fabulous. So effective on the blue. Natures alphabet is a lovely design looking forward to seeing it grow.

KC'sCourt! said...

You've been busy. Love the cross-stitching. Of to find that bread recipe.
Julie xxxxxxx

Christine said...

Great stitching Julie, and the bread looks delicious. I love that new alphabet design, I could see the individual squares working well for small items too. It's a possible when you come to do your Best in Show sampler later in the year I think

Barb said...

Yes I wondered too Julie if you are doing your Natures Alphabet, which is gorgeous by the way ,for the show in September. Your ufo is so delicate too. Loved your ornie ,they were all so sweet this time . Nice flowers ,sprouts and I do not mind if I do to the mince pie. Bread looks good enough to eat too. Lovely homely post .

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

Hi Julie

I found your blog through another blogger friend of mine.

I love your Blog...it is so inspirational to me and I love all of your Photos.

Your WIP's are looking great...I love the ABC Nature WIP one...that is going to be so neat.

I am now a follower of your Blog.

I have a Blog and here is the link:

http://lindaksstitchingcorner.blogspot.com

I would love for you to be a follower of my blog as well.

Your baking goodies looks awfully good.

Happy Stitching
Linda K, Railroad

Lesley said...

Lovely finish and I like the change you made to your sheep.
Natures Alphabet is very attractive,great start.
You made two of my better half's favourites..mince pies and jam tarts.He eat mince pies all year round.
Just been and read the no knead bread recipe,I will be giving it a try,thank you for the link.

Lesleyanne said...

A gorgeous challenge finish. Keeping my fingers crossed for your DH. Lovely cooking. Great new start.

stitchersanon said...

A lovely post..well apart from hubby's health issues. I hope you get some answers soon and I hope they are nice, easily fixable answers. I will def. be trying the bread and I love the new start. Actually, apart from the health issues, this would be a perfect week for me. Nice, cosy with a few treats. Wonderful xx And thank you: today was much better rofl.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Mmmmm Jam Tarts! My Mum used to make those when we were kids! I can taste them right now!

Congrats on your challenge finish!

Carol said...

I'm so happy to see that you're stitching Nature's Alphabet, Julie--it is one of my favorite finishes. I have it hanging in my front hallway and it always makes me smile :)

Lovely looking tarts and bread and the little sheep finish is adorable--nice finishing!!

Brigitte said...

Such a lovely post with some stitching, some knitting, some baking and cooking, just about the everyday things that we all love doing.
Nature's Alphabet is a wonderful new start, I have always loved this design. And the specialty stitches that ED always has make the little letters really special.

Chris said...

Looks like you have enjoyed yourself doing the things you like.. love it all especially the mince pies.. it has given me the idea to make some as we have mince meat left too
Beautiful stitching Julie
Chris x
Praying all will be well with DH

Melanie said...

Continued good thoughts for the hubby!!!!
This is a fabulous finish for the monthly challenge. Just love the blues and gingham ribbon.

Bonnie said...

Your little sheep ornament is too cute. Nice progress on Natures Alphabet. Are those brussel sprouts.

Sally said...

Lovely progress on Nature's Alphabet Julie and love how you've finished your sheep.

Oooh that bread and those mince pies and tarts look delicious.

Thinking of you and your DH.