All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Saturday, 27 April 2013

Having fun times

Home from our little trip away down south to Dorset.  We saw some lovely places, i think we'll be visiting this way again. 

Weymouth was our home for the week.  With a view over Radipole Lake and just a 5 minute walk from the beautiful harbour

 
and lovely sandy beach seafront with stunning town clock that was erected to commemorate the jubilee of Queen Victoria
 

 
We ventured out of town to quite a few places of interest during the week ....
 
Lyme Regis, visited by Jane Austin in  1803 and 1804 and mentioned in her book Persuasion and we walked The Cobb too although the sea was very rough and coming over the harbour walls.
 
 

Anyone been watching Broadchurch on the TV recently? We stopped off for a visit to West Bay where they had filmed it and a walk along the beach.  No clues to the murderer though and no sign of David Tennant....shame!  It was a really murky day with the sea mists rolling in and gale force winds, just the place to visit to feel the atmosphere ready for the final episode of the TV drama that was shown this Monday.  I didn't guess 'whodunnit', did you?



Nothe Fort built in 1872 tells the story of Weymouth at war through time.  Used by the British and then also by the Americans in the second world war when they embarked to Normandy from Weymouth.  A truly fantastic step back in time to see just how things were and walking through the underground tunnels thinking about what actually happened here was very thought provoking.


Many original items were on display and the big guns are magnificent.  DH loved our visit here and was chatting to the museum staff for quite a while about his family members from his family history research.

We climbed to the top of Portland Bill lighthouse.

 
Here i am right at the top next to the bulbs of the light.  Yes, i really did climb all those 153 steep and scarey steps, not bad for someone who likes to have their feet firmly on the floor and gets the collywobbles just standing on a chair!!

 
Cerne Abbas was so peaceful. The abbey itself and St Augustine's Well where i washed my hands in the waters. 
 

 
We went there of course to see the Cerne Abbas giant who stands 180 feet tall high on the hills, a famous landmark of the area. 
 
Please skip the next pic if you are dont want to see the naked man as he is called, although he does need re-chalking and is not as clear as he sometimes is!
 
 
Lulworth Cove  - very picturesque
 

Durdle Dor - magnificent, but a steep climb to view it!

 
A steam train ride on the Swanage Railway
 
 
 passing by Corfe Castle, we stopped off here on the return journey for a wander round.

 
and the final stop on our way home was to Stonehenge
 
 
There was a great big highlight to my week away.  I got to spend a whole evening stitching with my internet friend Barb on Wednesday.  We had the most lovely time.  Thank you Barb for welcoming me and hubby into your home, i hope we can stitch together again one day, for now though, i will have to be content with our 'virtual' Wednesday evenings in the parlour.
 
 
Barb was kind enough to donate a large quantity of books she had read to the Book Borrowers
 


Arriving home there were 2 packages awaiting me from fellow bloggers.

From Carol, one of her lovely ornaments and beautiful surprise goodies in her 1000+ followers drawing.  Carol stitches and finishes the most beautiful things, I am not surprised she has over 1000 followers to her blog, there is always something lovely to see when you visit there.  The little black and white thread holders are fabulous.  I have only ever seen plain white ones before.  Many thanks to you Carol and to your hubby for choosing my name in the drawing for the beautiful PS bunny ornament.
 
 
The second parcel was from Carin, I have never tried the Victorian Motto threads, so thank you Carin for including those into your parcel.  I will enjoy giving them  try.  Your little pillow is superb and I will treasure it.
 
 
Wednesday of this week I was treated to a day out. My friend had been given a spa and afternoon tea treat at Barnsdale Hall Hotel as a Christmas gift and she kindly asked if I would like to go along.  We had the most wonderful time.  A lovely swim in the pool and use of the spa facilities, a relaxing massage and then afternoon tea with homemade cakes overlooking Rutland Water, simply wonderful.

As if all this wasn't enough excitement for me recently, today was the meet up of the Needlecraft Haven ladies. We met at The Abbey in Nuneaton and had a fabulous day.  Thank you ladies for your company today, I've really enjoyed myself.

 
We had a book exchange - each person took a book (wrapped up) with a card inside to say what you liked about the book and why you thought it would make a nice read for someone else.  I wrapped up The Island by Victoria Hislop as mine which went home with Clare.  I had this one from Maggie.  I'm going to enjoy reading this, thank you Maggie.
 
 
 
We also did a goody bag exchange, the theme this time was afternoon tea.  I didn't take a pic of the goodies I put into mine that Maggie took home, but this is what I unwrapped from Diane (no blog) - thank you Diane.
 
 
There was lots of stitching on show for us to see.  I took the things I had been doing recently.
 
CCN - North Pole Post Office
 
 
Nativity Stocking (after last nights Friday stocking-a-long)

 
and my new start that I stitched with Barb last Wednesday, Little Hill by LHN which I stitched on today at the meet up.
 
 
Tomorrow is the reveal of the monthly challenge at NH, but i'm going to be naughty and show you mine tonight so it's included in this post.  I gave this little wind chime to Barb when I visited her.  I hoped the tinkling of the chimes would remind her of the chat and laughter we had when we met and stitched together, I added the year to the design as a reminder too. 

 
Well, I think that's caught up with all that's happened since my last blog post, just one more lovely thing for me this month, my brother will be visiting tomorrow for Sunday lunch and we'll be celebrating his wifes birthday.  April has certainly been a month spent with friends and family and of fun, laughter and happiness for me.  I hope you too have enjoyed some happy times this month.
 
Thank you to my regular readers and commenters, I see there are also some new followers, welcome along, I hope you find something interesting to read when you visit.
 
I really need to do a blog reading catch up after my busy couple of weeks, i'll be dropping in on your blog to see what you have been up to over the coming week.
 
Bye for now, love and {hugs} to you all
 
 


 
 
 

26 comments:

Linda said...

So glad you had a wonderful time away - your photos took me back to when we have visited those places.

Your stitching is coming along nicely and it is fun when you can finally meet up with fellow stitchers.

butterfly said...

Looks like you had a great time away.
Congratulations on your win , Carol's ornaments are so beautiful. Great gifts and exchanges.
All your stitching looks beautiful.

Maggie said...

Lovely photos from your holiday and very generous of Barb to donate all those books!

Wonderful surprise goodies too.

It was a good day today wasn't it? it was good to meet you and I hope you enjoy the book.

Only realised on the way back that i forgot to take a photo of my goody bag exchange too!

Have a great rest-of-the-weekend x

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's my first visit to your blog and I enjoyed seeing all your lovely stitching and your photos of what looked like a great trip. The south coast is beautiful, I'm sorry it's so far away from where I live as it takes ages to drive there.

Marlene Jones said...

Love the stitching, was at Portland Bill yesterday, it's a beautiful part of our country, I am glad you enjoyed your trip

Carin said...

What a beautiful pictures of your trip. I read on Barb's blog that she had a visit from someone called Julie but I never thought that would be you LOL
Your package from Carol is beautiful, she makes such nice ornaments !!
And your stitching is beautiful as ever, don't you just love the little christmas houses? I still have to stitch my christmas stocking house.

Cath said...

Gorgeous pics . We have been to Swanage a couple of times , and love it . Can't wait to go back. Did you see the Enid Blyton shop at Corfe Castle ? They have The Wishing Chair outside . Brill !
Lovely stitching too. Enjoy the rest of your weekend .X

Christine said...

Goodness me you've had a busy time, your trip looks wonderful, and meeting up with Barb must have been the highlight.
I did kind of guess the end to Broadchurch, I thought they gave it away when she chased after Pauline Quirk to ask her how she could possibly not know what was going on in her own house.
Great post to come home to as well.
The Meet up looks like it was a lot of fun too

jane said...

Lovely photos of your holiday Julie - a part of England I have not visited but has been on my list for a long while.
Lovely stitching too, and some great gifts.
It was great to see you at the meet-up, I think I enjoyed this one even more than I usually do. Looking forward to next time.

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh ~ what a fun catch~up post!!! Your trip was fabulous! I was wondering when you said where you were if you got to meet up with Barb ~ how fun!!! Loved all of your beautiful pictures. Great goodies all around!

Barb said...

I enjoyed my "days out tour" with you Julie and a good ad for the place where I live. I wish you lived a little closer so the stitching evening could be in person each week. Lovely gifts and great to see everyone beavering away at the meet up. Thanks for the mail will reply tomorrow -things seem much better thankfully.
Big hugs
Barb

Rach G said...

What an adventurer you have been!! Lovely photos, although I was expecting to see the one of the naked man on your head! lol

I didn't realise you gave out the same book I had been giving out as my World Book night books this past week.
It was a lovely day,and lovely to see you again Julie and yes I have nearly got a HD, but not quite, as I was getting tired last night! lol

cucki said...

Looks like you had a lovely time away.
Congratulations on your win ...
your stitching is so lovely..
hugs x

Lesleyanne said...

Gorgeous pictures from your trip away. Thank you for sharing. Looks like you had a lovely time. Lovely stitching.

Clare - Aimetu said...

I love your photos from Weymouth - they brought back many happy memories. You and Barb look like you had a great time.

Yesterday was another fabulous meet-up, thanks for helping with the goddy bag exchange. I'm eager to get reading my book but I have another to finish first.

Lianne said...

Just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing pics of your holiday. I so want to visit and I know someday I will, but for today I have lived vicariously through you, it was a wonderful trip.

Lovely stitching too!

KC'sCourt! said...

Looks like you had the most wonderful time. It also bought back childhood memories of Lulworth Cove, my mums favourite place so we visited quite a few times.
Julie xxxxxxxx

Tina said...

Lovely photos of Weymouth,used to go there every year when I was a child.
Lovely gift to Barb.
Great day on Saturday..very relaxed and was lovely seeing everyone again....roll on the next one

Xx

Melanie said...

Just loved seeing all the photos! I love seeing all the history-rich places abroad. (And I always appreciate a Jane Austin reference. I know Persuasion is not one of her better known books but I love that story.) Looks like a fabulous time.
Congrats on your win and your new goodies too.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You've been a busy bee this month! Some lovely photos of your travels and the gifts you've been exchanging.

I love the CCN Post Office, very cute.

valerie said...

Julie, it looks like you had a wonderful holiday and still managed to get a good amount of stitching done. Congrats on your win from Carol! That rabbit pillow is so cute!

Carol said...

Enjoyed reading all about your lovely trip Julie, it brought back happy memories of the times I've visited the area.

Gorgeous gifts from Carol and Carin. Love the wind chime you made for Barb too, and LHN Little Hill, I really like this one and may just have to make a start on mine one day soon! :o)

Lesley said...

I have not visited Weymouth, it looks like a great place to go.Lovely photos:-)
Your stitching is lovely too

Carol said...

Oh, your trips look wonderful, Julie--you are lucky to have so many wonderful historic sites in England! And what a treat to meet Barb in person...

I'm glad you enjoyed my little package--I know the bunny will be delighted with his new home :)

Beautiful stitching and I love the idea of using your stitching as a windchime adornment--very cute!!

Hope you are enjoying a beautiful spring!

Mylene said...

What a great great post, Julie! Beautiful holiday pictures and lovely gifties received.
Good books too, i am envious...

Brigitte said...

It was great to follow you on your trip and see all the wonderful pictures of the places you visited. Thank you so much for sharing.
Your stitching day with Barb must have been fantastic. Sitting together with a good friend, stitching, talking and laughing is one of the most relaxing things I know.
Lovely stitchy WIps and finishes.