All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Thursday, 14 June 2012

Messing about on the river!

When reading the local newspaper last week hubby spotted that the annual River Festival was to be held over the weekend on the River Soar.

Saturday afternoon the rain had stopped, and about time too, so we decided to take a late afternoon wander along the riverbank.

Lots of people had the same idea.

As we crossed the bridge, you could see lots of boats were moored supporting this event.


Shortly after we arrived there was a river procession by some of the boats, this was headed by 4 musicians, that was fun, the sound of the cello and the trumpet playing songs that you could tap your feet too and sing along with - all the oldies!








There was a floating tea room



A report and more pics about it here. You can see the local bands and the crowds that had gathered to picnic and enjoy.

We walked around the Eco village that was promoting healthy lifestyles with recycling and how to grow your own veggies etc. There were stalls with wood carvings and sculptures using willow and lots of natural things to buy. A huge variety of good food to eat and some craft stalls selling beautiful items - too many people at each stall to take close up pics - sorry.



DH and i treated ourselves to some handmade jubilee fudge, that didn't last long though and was yummy!


One of the narrowboats was a floating bookshop. I loved boarding that and having a browse round. I'm sure folks must have thought i was mad though as i kept humming the tune to the 1990's childrens programme Rosie and Jim all the time.

Strange how a forgotten memory can come to the forefront of your mind and you can hum a tune and remember all the words from so long ago. My children used to love that programme and had all the little story books.... mmm wonder what happened to them, Isabelle might like them ... i feel a trip up into the attic coming on for a browse round to see if we still have them lol. Please someone say you remember these rag dolls aboard the narrow boat and the troubles they got up to.

Sunday the sun was shining and DH headed off to the allotment to tend his veggies. L@@kie what he came home with..... the first sweet peas of the year, they smell heavenly.



I have stitched a little and the Summer Exchange was sent out on time, no show of that till June 30th when it is opening day. I'm stalking the postie now for mine to arrive here.

DH's hookey blanket has also had a few more rounds added to it when i was at the stitch club last night. Nothing else to show you craftwise. A lot of ladies at the moment seem to be struggling with stitching anything and i'm one of them, motivation lacking. I'm sure it'll come back.

Last time i offered a Jubilee giveaway of 3 thimbles. Only 3 poeple wanted to enter for them and i got DH to pick a winner. He chose you Lily at Making it Vintage, so if you can let me have your mailing address i'll put them in the post to you.

Thanks for stopping by

x

20 comments:

Barb said...

All aboard the skylark!! now where did that come from ,Rosie and Jim I remember slightly , not sure if mine were too old to watch but Jack (grandson) loved the The Little Bear stories and still has Jolly Tall the Giraffe sitting on his bed.
Your day by the river looked idyllic and a floating bookshop wow.
Hugs
Barb

Dani - tkdchick said...

How neat the River festival must of been! YOu got some great shots of the canal boats!

Sue said...

My girls loved Rosie and Jim and the duck on top of the boat, lol. Got the song going through my head now....x

Cath said...

Mu kids have a Rosie and Jim DVD that my FIL got for them , I think it was free with a newspaper, and they love it. It has three episodes on , so gets a bit boring for me after a while , lol. X

Making It Vintage said...

Woop, Woop..... yay I've won your lovely jubilee thimbles, that's really made my day Julie, thank you for such a lovely giveaway, I will send you my postal address.

I love riverside events too, and with the river Wye on my doorstep ther's always something going on through the summer. Your event looks like such fun, and how fantasic to go aboard a floating bookshop..........and yes I do remember 'Rosie and Jim', it was one of my childrens favourite programmes too.

Hope you get your stitching mojo back soon, maybe it's something to do with all this awful weather here in the UK.

lily xx

jane said...

Looks like you had a lovely time Julie. I remember Rosie and Jim - my DDs liked them and now you have me humming the song!

Catherine said...

What a fun time! My family and I would have had so much fun at an event like that! Thanks for sharing.

DUSTY said...

Looks like a great outing, Julie

Linda said...

Sounds as if you had a wonderful day and lots of fun. I remember sitting watching Rosie and Jim with my three children - it was one of their favourites.

Gorgeous sweet peas.

Beaupippin said...

Looks like a good day was had by all, nothing like messing about on the water!

butterfly said...

Looks like you had so much fun on the river how lovely
That fudge looks so yummy I fancy some thing to eat now thats very sweet.
Your sweet peas are just beautiful what lovely colours bet they smell wonderful.

Sally said...

The river festival looks fantastic Julie. Love the look of the fudge :)

Those Sweet Peas are so pretty. I can just imagine the gorgeous smell. My Mum used to grow them.

Melanie said...

Very neat!!! Looks like a fun time. The fudge looks super yummy!

Brigitte said...

It must have been a lot of fun to attend this event and to look at all the boats floating on the river. I think I would have gone for the floating tea room, and the floating book store, of course, lol.

Rachael G said...

My Niece loved Rosie and Jim, and for the those who have no idea what and who see here http://www.rosieandjim.tv/newhome.html

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lovely photos Julie, boats are always lovely to watch.

Lesleyanne said...

Looks like you had a great day. Lovely photos.

stitcheranon said...

Darn it..missed the giveaway. Never mind...looks like you have had an amazing time. I loved Rosie and Jim, luckily so did my kids!
The Skylark was Noah and Nelly btw. I love boats..thank you for sharing your day xx

Always smiling said...

What a lovely day you had,,, read back and wow Isabelle is a year old, where did that time go to???
She looks so pretty.
I have been so busy and had a frustrating time with a Chatelaine design that I too was a bit off stitching, but I have had a new start and my mojo has returned!!
Happy days

Chris xx

Shellie said...

Looks like a fantastic day for all.
Have dropped you an e mail so sorry for being out of touch for so long
husg Shellie in Stitches