All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Thursday, 28 June 2012

A bit of reading and a little stitching

The last two weeks has seen a lot of things happening here.

My tai chi class has been running some extra classes in conjunction with the Dr's surgery to get people who are interested in gentle exercise and alternative things to give it a try so an extra morning a week i've been going along to that.

I also volunteer at a new book group called the Book Borrowers that has started at the local community centre. There is a vast range of books just sitting there so we decided to organise a group on a Tuesday afternoon when the books will be out for anyone from the local community to come along and borrow one. They can stay for a cuppa and a biscuit and we can chat about favourite authors and anything book related. Some can't make it to the local library and it's not easily accessible on a bus route either

June 19th was the first session and it went well. I learnt that a couple of the ladies are keen readers of M C Beaton and the Agatha Raisin series, so two of us have started the first in the series of these called The Quiche of Death to see why these are so popular.

She also writes the Hamish McBeth books. I loved Robert Carlyle in the TV version of Hamish ..... now there is a dish to savour in every episode!!

Has anyone else read books by M C Beaton? Whats your opinion of them?

Amy has also moved house and started a new job, and i have been on nanny duties quite a bit, as i said lots going on to keep me busy.

Stitching has just not been happening much at all, although i did manage to finish off this months ornament that i had stitched up in the first couple of days of the month.


Christmas Hearts by Patricia Ann Designs from the 2011 JCS Ornament Edition. The little bells jingle and are from the Lindt Christmas reindeer i ate last Christmas.

Time this year is marching on and it's coming up to the annual Fruit and Veg show again. Had a bit of a panic and realised i had better get a 'stitch on' and sort out what to do for the Best in Show sampler this year.

Clare gifted me with this lovely floral beading chart recently so i decided to use that, but to stitch it instead of beading it.


Here's where i was at the weekend...


It's a bit further on after last nights stitch club. It's stitching up quite quickly and is nice to do.

Saturday is reveal day of the stitched Summer Exchange at NH, can't wait to see what everyone has received for this season. It's a good job i was organised and got that stitched and sent out in plenty of time.

I'll be back soon to show you what i received and sent.

Much love,

x

14 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely stitching. I love the Agatha Raisen stories. I think I have read three and really enjoyed them.

Making It Vintage said...

Gosh Julie, you're such a busy bee........I would love to be involved in a book club, alot of my spare time is spent skulking among the books in my local library, and I do enjoy reading M C Beaton, especially the Agatha Raisin series.......she's a middle-aged slueth with attitude, my kind of gal!

Lovely christmas stitching............reminds me that I should be getting on with some christmas stitching soon.
lily x

jane said...

Sounds like you have been very busy Julie, I can relate to that at the moment. I haven't read those books, will be interested to see what you think, I used to like Hamish Macbeth!
Lovely stitching too!

Linda said...

My you have you been busy with various activities - no wonder you've not had so much stitching time.

The Christmas decoration is really pretty and I love the look of the sampler you are doing for the best in show - good luck with that.

Not heard of either of those authors may just look out for them when I have read the ones I have just purchased.

Have a great weekend. x

Marian said...

Loved the Agatha Raisin series!

I have a new heroine. He name is Nell Sweeney and she's the main character of a series by PB Ryan (Patricia). There are 6 books in the series and I downloaded them to my Kindle. You need to read them in order.

They are set in Boston at the time of the Civil War. They are mysteries: written very intelligently. I read all 6 without stopping. Amazon carries them in the US. Maybe Amazon UK has them.

Christine said...

Great ornament Julie, but two bells definitely means TWO Lindt chocolate reindeer!
Our show is sneaking up too, I was just typing up the schedules last night.

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lovely ornament, and I'm so pleased the chart was useful. I haven't read any of those books, maybe once I'm down my current reading lst I'll get the chance to.

Veronica said...

Very pretty ornament you've made. Lovely new start too. Have a great weekend :)

Hugs,
Veronica.

Sally said...

Lovely ornament Julie. Love your choice for the fruit and veg show too.

Dani - tkdchick said...

I've not been stitching much lately either, is something in the air? I find I have to force myself to do anything!!!

stitcheranon said...

I am inspired..never heard of these books but going to give them a go. A pity there isnt an online book club as I would love to be able to participate. Lovely stitching though I have not picked up a needle in nearly a fortnight. I will...I just need a break..sometimes you have to go with the flow lol

Carol said...

I think it's so hard to get much stitching time in during these busy summer months...Sounds like you'll really enjoy your volunteer time at the Book Borrowers group, Julie... Have not read MC Beaton myself--hope you enjoy the books...

At least you have kept up with your monthly ornament challenge--I haven't done one since March :( Love your one for June!

Have fun on nanny duty--and good luck with finishing up the pretty alphabet chart for the show.

Melanie said...

Sounds like a busy, busy summer so far! I don't blame you for not getting much stitching in. Great start on your show piece so far though! Good luck with it. :)

Daffycat said...

Wow, I really love the ornament you stitched this month! Adorable!