All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Wednesday wafflings!

Sunday 3rd July, DH and i went along to the local botanical gardens where they were holding a family day. A variety of plants for sale and also lots of stalls and demonstrations. We had a great time wandering around the sculpture exhibiton that is on show during the summer, lots of marvellous works have been created and exhibited. This is the third year we have been to view the sculptures, before we have been with picnic on a weekday when it is free to enter the gardens and wander around.

It was good to see lots of craftwork going on too. Ladies were sitting on blankets teaching lots of youngsters to crochet bunting and knit squares. One lady had a stall with items from her felt making workshops. Beautiful things and i could have spent a fortune on her stall alone, i did pick up a leaflet with her blog name to give it a plug here as i was so impressed, it's called Creative Bumble Bee.

It was hard to take pics of things as there were so many people about, but inside the house tucked away in a little room i came across some ladies from The Leicester Guild of Spinners, weaver and dyers.

I loved being able to see and feel the fleece of the sheep in it's raw state, watch the three spinners at work, all on different types of spinning wheels and also see some of their finished wool and items that had been knitted and crocheted with it.

I asked one lady if i could take her picture for my blog and she gladly agreed. I've been reading the blog of Alice at Crochet with Raymond and she has recently taken up spinning, so it was fab to be able to see it in action and get some idea what really goes into this craft. I can tell you the thought of having a go at this really interests, seeing the wool in the raw state and being responsible for taking it to the finished item really does appeal.

A little crafting has been happening here but not a lot.

Karan had a birthday last week and i came across this little free design of an owl bookmark for her, the perfect design as she is an avid read and also a great lover of owls. I hope you had a lovely birthday Karan, i wont tell which milestone birthday it was this time!

Unfortunately, my printed out copy doesn't say where the free chart came from, the only clue i have is the title on the page is Permin of Copenhagen (DMC117).

Thanks to all that said last times Christmas freebie was from Nan at Threadwork Primitives, you guys are always ready to offer help and advice, i really do appreciate you taking time to come over and visit.

Block 5 of Shores is growing ... slowly, it's hard work building a house!

Lots of filling in on this block to be done, but it's another lovely block to watch grow.

The Wednesday Sampler Girl SAL had some attention last week too, but not a lot was done. I take this one with me to the stitch club, but we had some bad news last week, one of our ladies has to have life saving surgery so not a lot was accomplished by any of us, no pic to show of that, i'll show you that after this weeks progress.

Nanny duties are still keeping my busy. Amy had her 6 week post natal check yesterday and all is well, she is almost back to her pre-pregnancy weight. She's delighted by this and all down to the breast feeding as she's eating lots. Little Isabelle also had her 6 week check up on Monday and is doing well too.
She now weighs 8lb 11 1/2oz so has put on 3lb since her birth.

Here she is, for those who needed a baby fix, this was taken last Sunday.

Grandpa and Isabelle having some quality time together, i think he's reminding her to be a good girl for her mummy and try to have a big sleep .... no chance of that happening, she's way too nosey and likes to be awake most of the time!

Take care my dear friends

13 comments:

Rachael xxx said...

Aww it is lovely to hear Amy and babe are doing so well. I think you should give the weaving etc a go, go on you know you want to!! LOL

Shari said...

is that red hair on that sweet little one?!?!?! I ask, because my daughter is a red head!! (auburn) So pretty!!!
It sounds like you had a great time on your getaway day!! love those days!

Christine said...

Isabelle is adorable!
Great gift for Karan and lots of progress on Shores.
Thanks for the link to that felting blog, she does beautiful work

Sally said...

So glad to hear that Amy and Isabelle are doing well. Isabelle is adorable:)

Sounds like you had a lovely day out.

Your gift for Karan is lovely.

tintocktap said...

Hey - I was at the botanic gardens too that afternoon! If you saw a woman sitting on a chair under a tree near the plants sale - that was me! A lovely afternoon out - Alexander and I cycled there while my DH came in the car with the girls.

Glad to hear all is well with Amy and Isabelle.

Love the new blog template and colour scheme too!

Lesleyanne said...

Your gift for Karen is lovely. Glad you had a good day out. Isabelle is gorgeous, glad both she and Amy are doing well.

Always smiling said...

Isabelle is gorgeous...
Just popped to your blog as you had left me a cheeky message about my UFO... So yes I will pick it up this evening!!
Hugs and love in Stitches

Chris x

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a neat day you had at the botanical gardens!!! I find spinning and weaving fascinating as well, I wish I could afford some of the beautiful scarves I saw back in the spring at a fiber arts show!

Your granddaughter is adorable!

Melanie said...

Soooo cute! She definitely looks bigger ALREADY.

Maggie said...

Sound like you had a lovely afternoon at the botanical gardens.

Isabelle is so cute, looks like she is really paying attention to what grandpa is saying ;-)

Carol said...

Oh, how absolutely precious Isabelle is, Julie :) I so want to be a grandmother, but I'm afraid I have a long wait!

Love your Block 5--wouldn't it be fun to live in such a charming house! Nice book mark for Karan, too...

Glad you enjoyed your day at the botanical gardens--I'm always so envious of the gorgeous gardens you have over there in England!

Pumpkin said...

Sounds like a fun day. I think I would enjoy learning how to spin wool! I've always wanted a spinner or whatever you call them. LOL!

Your bookmark is very cute and I'm sure Karan really appreciated it :o)

Isabelle is just darling! You sure are a proud Grandma :o)

redislandart said...

6 weeks already?! wow, time flies. She's pretty as a princess.

The garden adventure sure sounds interesting. We need more textile art-sharing on this island. I'm working on that. :)