All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 26 September 2010

Challenge reveal and an ornament too

Another Christmas ornament finished and added to my collection. This year i've managed to keep up with the SAL and stitch one per month. Whilst i was looking for something else in my Christmas chart folder i came across this old freebie that was printed out from Cosmic Handmade. I'd printed this one in 2008, never mind that it's only taken 2 years for it to come to the top of the stitching pile, and if i hadn't been searching for something else it would still be hiding inside the folder. There are lots of lovely free charts by Caroline Hofstede on her blog, you can find Winter Sampler that i have stitched under the 2008 heading in the 'pages' on the right hand side of the blog. I wanted it to be an ornament so stitched mine on 40ct linen, my first time using this small count of fabric, it stitched up lovely but i certainly needed the magnifier for it otherwise there would have been no chance of me seeing the teeny tiny holes in the fabric!

Today is reveal day for this months challenge at Stitch & Stash. This month a Martina Weber free design called Manuela's Sunflowers was chosen. A lovely chart for the autumnal month of September and so bright and colourful to stitch.








I've finished mine off by covering a 20cm plastic mixing bowl with gathered fabric and adding the design to the top of it. I saw one of these finishes at our local outdoor market made by a patchworkmaker and it looked so effective, i thought this design would be perfect so decided to give it a go this month. What sort of thing would you use this storage item for? the one i saw had assorted ribbons in it.

Wednesday is stitch club night and also the community association night every 6 weeks. Some good news for me regarding that as another lady from stitch club is having a term being on the committee instead of me so i wont miss any stitch club nights for the next 12 months as least.

I'll still be involved with the fruit and veg show and talking of that, here's the trophy's DH and i won this year. They were given back to him at the meeting. Maybe i better not put anything into the show for next year, our little sideboard has no more room on it with the 3 other stitched winners samplers we have that were won in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

The computer hasn't even been switched on in this house since Wednesday last week, not sure where the time went too, i seem to be on a go-slow with everything recently and there always seems to be something else i am doing instead of keeping in touch with my friends on here. I'll catch up with blog reading this week to see what beautiful work you have all been doing.

19 comments:

Dani - tkdchick said...

You've stitched and finished your challenge pieces so creatively!

Lesleyanne said...

Both of your pieces are gorgeous.

stitcheranon said...

What can I say? Wow...love the ornie and the bowl is amazing!

jane said...

Lovey ornament Julie and your Challenge finish is very creative.

Gillie said...

Love the ornament - I do like her designs - wish she would post more often!

Ranae said...

Very nice ornament, I love 40ct though it's a little slower going.
The challenge piece is gorgoeus, it looks like it was a challenge, for me anyway.
Sorry about not commenting as much, but I have been reading. I have lost all interest in stitching and blogging. I don't know whats wrong with me these days, lol

Maggie said...

Love your little ornie! i have never tried 40ct fabric, i have to use a magnifier as it is so think i would struggle but i bet it gives a lovely finish.
Great idea for your challenge finish too:-)

Have a good week

Elisa said...

2 gorgeous finishes Julie...I LOVe the covered bowl idea...I think ribbons or lace stored in ther would be just perfect.

Deborah said...

Love both of the finishes. The bowl is amazing.

Lori-Ann said...

another ornament finished... yay!!!

Interesting finish with the bowl cover.

Yes, summer is over, but my favorite season is finally here! Look for some very colorful pictures of Fall in PEI on my blog :o)

Pumpkin said...

I love her designs and completely forgot about this one too! LOL!

Great job on the challenge. What a neat idea :o)

Melanie said...

Great job on these! I love 'em. :)

Shari said...

oh, that ornament is great!!! I must go see if I can find it...I love freebie ornaments!!!!
Love your challenge piece...what a neat idea!!

Cristina said...

Awsome. Congratulations on both pieces

Sally said...

Lovely finishes Julie. Love the ornament. I think I have that one sabved somewhere.

Wonderful idea for the sunflower finish.

Carol said...

Your ornament finish is lovely, Julie--I've always meant to stitch that design, too! Congratulations on all of those shiny trophies--you certainly deserve them :)

Denise said...

That's a very creative idea with the plastic bowl. Yours is really lovely. I think it would make a really cute gift.

Mylene said...

Gorgeous finishes, Julie. Great job!!

DUSTY said...

Julie, your challenge piece finish is gorgeous. What a great idea. i love your ornie.