All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Olympic sized crochet!

Crochet seems to be the thing to be doing these days. One local lady is making a living from it in a really big way ...

This exert is taken from Leicester Mercury 18th August 2010

An artist commissioned to crochet a trio of giant lions for the London 2012 Olympics has finished the first sculpture. Shauna Richardson celebrated reaching the milestone this week and invited the Leicester Mercury to have a sneak peek at the sculpture. The 42-year-old, from Stoughton, has been working at a secret location in east Leicestershire since winning the £500,000 commission in October. She said she has been working up to six hours a day, seven days a week, to crochet the yards of woven wool that cover the 25ft-long, 8ft-tall polystyrene figure. She said: "I am really excited about the work. "Not only is it the chance for me to work on a high-profile project, I get to create a real world first – the largest crocheted sculpture." The project, Lionheart, is one of 12 that will be created across the country as a result of the Arts Council England's Taking the Lead competition. Shauna, who describes herself as a "crochetdermist" was chosen from 118 entries for the East Midlands. The project will be finished in time for April 2012 and, in total, Shauna will use about 80kg of wool per lion. Once completed, the lions will be placed inside a glass-sided lorry and taken on tour around the East Midlands.

There's a video on the lionheart blog of Shauna at work showing how it was constructed.

I'll definately be on the lookout for the glass lorry with these beauties in when it is on tour locally, that will certainly be a spectacle to see.

So..... who else wants to learn to crochet then, there is obvously money to be made and you can have a career using this hobby LOL

10 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

Wow thats a lot of crocheting.

Christine said...

Bizarre!

Barb said...

Ok Julie, better get Mr Moe and Midge to pose,so you can practise for the larger model!!
Will be in touch soon ,had problems with my back and so not spent long on here.
I think I would rather have a bag than a lion lol, but good luck to her.

Mylene said...

That sure lots of Crocheting!

Hazel said...

Good grief!!xx

Carol said...

Well, I learned something new today: "crochetdermist"! What an unusual occupation :)

Ginnie said...

wow, impressive but I have tried crochet and I was hopeless...... I'll stick with x stitch!

Shari said...

oh my goodness!!! I cannot even imagine doing something like that...wow!!!

Pumpkin said...

Omigosh! That is just INCREDIBLE! Wow...

Karan said...

Wow, these are amazing... but I bet she'll be pig sick of brown wool by the end of it all. LOL
Yes, I'm finally catching up with all of your news! :0)