All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 9 November 2008

Remembrance Sunday

This is the servicemen laying the poppy wreaths at our Cenotaph in Victoria Park at this mornings service. DH and i lit our candle and listened to the service on the local radio as we were not able to attend

IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

In Flanders field the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

~~By Major John McCrae, May 1915.~~



Country Cottage Needleworks - The Tea Room

As promised yesterday, here's my progress after Week 1 of the SAL with Karen. Fabric - 26ct oatmeal evenweave, thread - DMC. Weathers been awfully dull here so not a good pic of the fabric colour, hopefully better next week. I've also made up the little bunny family, batteries for the camera are on charge, SOMEONE left the camera switched on last time?

Amy & David are coming over for Sunday roast beef dinner today and to check that Dad is behaving and not causing me too much trouble. At least i'll have helpers for doing the dishes as my usual dish washer (dh) will be out of action LOL

Enjoy your Sunday, happy stitching, knitting or crafting!



9 comments:

Ginnie said...

I didn't make it to a service either - but have worn my poppy with pride. Nice start on Tea Room I think I have this on my Christmas list (with many others!!)

Dani - tkdchick said...

You've got a nice little start there.

Christine said...

Nice start on your Tea Rooms.
Good to hear I'm not the only one with a SOMEONE in the house who does things like that. I think MY someone is called 'Notme', because if ever I ask who did something they all say 'Not me!'

Clare - Aimetu said...

I attended our parade as a member of the Scout Association, very sombring day.

Great start to Tea Rooms :)

Karen said...

good start
hope you had helpers with the washing up,, wonder who it was left the camera on lol

Lori-Ann said...

Can't wait to see the bunny family!

Sorry your dishwasher is broke... wanna borrow my son? he was nice and washed all the messy dishes before I got back! (wow!!... nice kid, eh?)

Who's in the lead regarding the SAL anyway? ;o)

Sally said...

Nice start on your SAL with Karen and I love Thankful start too.

We don't go to the remembrance service here as I'd be in bits. It's too emotional for me. However Dh and I did go visit the new memorial that has recently been put up in the memorial gardens. The gardens only had a memorial to those lost in the second world war so the new one is very welcome as it had both wars on it, including some of mine and DH's distant relations.

Stitchingranny said...

Hope your dishwasher is slowly improving and will be back in full working order soon.

Good start on the tearoom will watch with interest.

I will do my remembering on Tuesday with Mum, though i did keep the 2 mins today also.

Marian said...

Nice! I love "Flander's Field". And I like to idea of wearing a poppy. Here you mostly see flags and stuff but I like wearing the flower.

Marian