We enjoyed a lovely sunny May bank holiday weekend.
I sat for a while outside under the umbrella putting a few stitches into Just Nan's High Hopes whilst DH was tending his garden. I'll have to show you the JN next time as I have forgotten to take a snap and its far too dark this evening to do it now in artificial light. The meds were not helping concentration levels so not as much progress as I would have liked.
I'm not happy with idle hands, I don't think crafters are, so a change of plan and I cast on some socks with the lovely soft wool sent to me by Ann (shared in my Gifted Gorgeousness April post). It's delightful Madelintosh merino and oh so very soft, what a wonderful gesture from a very lovely lady to send me this beautiful wool.
For this pair I chose to try the Kali Kardia free pattern again from Helen Kurtz. It's available from Ravelry and there are two differing stitch patterns, a rib one which I did last time and this time the alternative chequerboard pattern.
All was growing nicely when I took the picture to show after the weekend when I intended to blog.
It's grown even more now and today I took this picture of one sock completed :-)
It's funny how quickly a sock grows when you add a row here and there. They are a great travelling project or for waiting room knitting. You do get some funny looks from people when you whip out a sock and often people will ask what you are doing. I tell them where I learnt to knit socks and provide them with places to visit online for added help if they too wish to give it a try. It does feel good to inspire others to learn a new skill, and in the strangest of places too.
I wonder how many go home and think more about starting to sock knit themselves, or head off from their appointment to the nearest knitting shop to buy supplies?
I never thought I would be able to knit socks myself and put it off for a very long time. Yet now, I find them the most soothing of things to pick up especially during the last few months.
Love and blessings
Julie x
I have started knitting my first sock, but I’m not good knitting in the recent heat, but I will pick it up again this week as the weather is nearer to our normal.
ReplyDeleteI have never knitted a sock (or even two!) probably won't either. I have this issue of not liking knitting an identical 'second' of anything. Mitts have the same effect on me :) My sister in law is a sock-knitter and she says get around that second sock syndrome by 'knitting the second sock first' !!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteJulie I always love your socks, you will have to advise me which is the best pattern to start and the best wool , after the summer I think I will knit some for myself and family and friends.
I hope your meds let you focus soon on your stitching better.
Good that you got to enjoy last weekends weather hugs.
Socks are my favourite thing to knit. It's not just the process of knitting them but having something so warm and cosy to put on your feet when they're finished. Oh, and all the gorgeous sock yarn too, that's quite an incentive.
ReplyDeleteI have been saying I want to knit a pair of socks for years now, even cast on a couple of times only to rip it back out again.
ReplyDeleteI think basically i'm scared of the heel, lol
We could do with a bit more of that BH weather, it was lovely to sit outside :-)
I truly prefer stitching for myself. My son Emerson had given sock knitting a try a few years ago you may recall. He made two pair for himself. Then he encouraged me to go ahead and pick out some yarn, he said he would make some for me. Then he promptly stopped knitting! ;)
ReplyDeleteLove that sock! Beautiful work and I hope I can get to the point where it's easier. I do have a skein of Madeline Tosh I think and am looking forward to trying it out once I get this pair completed.
ReplyDeleteI like the look of the pattern on your latest socks. I'm not sure if I will ever master socks but love seeing all the ones you create.
ReplyDeleteI have never tried knitting socks, but after seeing so many on blogs, maybe I will try it sometime. Yours is lovely.
ReplyDeleteI've never knitted socks Julie but my maternal grandmother was a great sock knitter and knitted them for the soldiers during the war. The little speckle in the wool is quite pretty when you see it knitted up. I hope you enjoy wearing them:-)
ReplyDeleteIt drives me crazy to just sit, I gotta do something! Reading can sometimes stem the crazy but not always.
ReplyDeleteJulie: Nice progress on your sock, I do not knit or crochet but would love to learn.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Catherine
I would love to learn how to do it but I don't need another hobby haha. Looks great though.
ReplyDeleteAnother fabulous sock Julie
ReplyDeleteI don't much like having idle hands either. I'm finding socks are both great to take along and TOTALLY EXASPERATING at the same time (haha). I enjoy when people are curious about any work and it's fun to talk with them about it (and hopefully enable the birth of another crafter). Your new pair looks like they'll be super comfy!
ReplyDeleteA reminder that I have a half-finished sock languishing in a bag that I really should get back to. : ) I think you have just encouraged me to get it out and finish it and then it's mate. And thinking about it I don't think I've ever seen someone knit in public. You are in my thoughts and glad that you have something that brings you comfort. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm another who just can't sit idly and watch television, Julie--I simply must be doing something at the same time whether it is stitching, leafing through a magazine, or cleaning! Your sock is growing nicely. I thought of learning to knit, but, in reality, I will probably just stick to cross stitch :)
ReplyDeletePretty sock pattern Julie, growing nicely. I´ve never made yarn socks. Years ago I used to make infants knitted perlé socks for a local shop when they were fashionable.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of you knitting socks in waiting rooms - priceless!
ReplyDeleteI cannot knit and I am sure I would end up with two totally different socks! I always have a book with me and waiting for the bus there were three of us all leaning on a wall reading. A man walked past and asked "Is this the bus stop reading group?"
ReplyDeleteI love these socks,JulieWhat a great pattern.I am haunting Ravelry these days,I just love the knitting on display there,especially socks. I am,as you know,totally addicted to sock knitting since I took the plunge and hit the nail on the head when you said knitting them is soothing.
ReplyDeleteJulie, I always love to “watch” you knitting socks and to admire all the beautiful yarns you use for them.
ReplyDelete