All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 31 August 2016

Rounding up August with a GG post

August has been a month of gifts.

I am scraping in on the last day of the month and posting a Gifted Gorgeousness post, couple of weeks late this month, but hopefully Jo over at Serendipitous Stitching will forgive me.

Firstly, a late birthday gift from a friend.  Two beautiful crocheted table mats.  Thank you Tricia.


The pink cardigan I was knitting for a little ones first birthday was completed, only just the night before her birthday I might add!


and one of the ladies at the craft group I go to had made a pretty little dress to go with the cardigan.  The little birthday girl in question looked fabulous in her new ensemble.


DH had gifted me a painting session for my birthday of the Bob Ross method with a local artist.  Here's what I painted at the class.   I really like this one and was pleased with how it turned out.

 
DH celebrated a big birthday mid month and we were both gifted a week away in a family members holiday caravan.  That was a very special gift to us both.  Thank you to my brother and sister-in-law for their kindness xx

Family came to spend time with us on the beach as well ....

 
On his actual birthday DH decided he wanted to have a steam train ride.  We rode the North Norfolk Railway from Holt to Sheringham
 

 
and whilst in Sheringham we visited a fabulous exhibition at the museum ...
 
Stitches in Time - the knitting campaign of the First World War
 
 
 
 
 


 
 Badges were awarded to knitters ....

 
 

Original knitting on show from the day, bandages and such like...
 
 
Songs were sung whilst knitting .....
 
 
The Healing Garland.....
 
 
 
 
With it being a fishing village there was information about the traditional Gansey sweater, knitted on a size 14 or 17 needle, now that is one thin set of pins and trying to knit with four to seven in the round, they must have been very talented knitters ....
 
 
 
 
Traditional gansey patterns have been knitted to show the differing designs....
 
 
and the local ones so fisherman could be recognised where they came from if unfortunately they fell overboard and were lost....

 
 
A cabinet contained work by John Craske, a painter in  wool.....
 

 
 
Even though it was DH's birthday i had a great gift of the museum visit and picked up this fun postcrd on the way out.
 
 
We had lovely weather for the whole week, although I was not feeling too good whilst away and brought back what I thought were germs, seems not it's something else.

Since being home, I have had a fall and a visit to the GP for other stuff.  Some ongoing issues still causing problems so have not been feeling the best.  Blog reading hasn't happened and looking at the state of my reader, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and reset it and start again, sorry folks, energy levels low and there is no way I will catch up with what's in there now.

I haven't picked up a sewing needle at all this month, so no Christmas monthly challenge for August and no catching up on the Joyful World SAL either.

It's been easier to sit and knit a little and two red cardigans are now completed and gifted to my grand daughter.



Thank you for your visit here.  I hope all is well in your neck of the woods and wish you well.  Hopefully, i'll be back to full strength in the near future.

Blessings to you all

Julie x

18 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Hi Julie, so sorry to hear that you are not feeling the best, I hope that you pick up very soon. Don't worry about the blog reading - we all fall behind and after all, blogging is meant to be fun, not a chore. Gorgeous crocheted mats and the cardigans that you have knitted for your granddaughter are just adorable. Happy birthday to your DH and I found all of the historical knitting photos and information absolutely fascinating - thank you so much for sharing.

Bea said...

Beautiful cardigans, all of them. Thanks for posting all the museum things - I found that really interesting. Hope you feel much better soon and a belated "Happy birthday" to your DH.

Mini said...

Beautiful cardigans specially the one knitted for the little one.Very interesting pictures of the museum.Glad to know that you enjoyed time in the caravan.
Hope you feel better soon.

butterfly said...

Sorry you have not been well Julie , hope you are feeling a little better now .
What a fantastic post , I love your painting .
Take time to relax and get better sweetie , we are always here for you .

Maggie said...

Lovely knitting projects, it's easier to pick up knitting and do a few rows when you are not 100%, I hope you start to feel better soon.
Love the painting, how very talented you are!

A belated Happy Birthday to your DH, sounds like you had a lovely relaxing break.x

Mii Stitch said...

Lovely knitting Julie.
Hope you feel better soon.

Vickie said...

I am sorry you have not been feeling well Julie. I hope you feel better very, very soon.
I must say I am quite envious of that one year old's outfit!!

Lesley said...

The trai ride sounds like a lovely treat for your DH.What a wonderful exhibition.Thank you for posting such a lot of very interesting knitting information.
I do hope your health will be back to normal very soon Julie.

Barb said...

Really enjoyed your post Julie, the postcard deserves to be framed and on your wall. How interesting reading about it all. I do hope you are feeling a little better when you read this,you are very precious to us all out here . Cardigans for the little lady are just so neatly done and she will be pleased to be going back to school in those. Great day out for the birthday boy , be in touch soon .Many hugs for the family.

Cath said...

Your painting is stunning , and what lovely adventures you've been on. I hope your health problems are solved soon so you can feel better . Take care .xxx

rosey175 said...

Loooove that postcard! That whole museum is right up my alley; I could bore my husband for hours pouring over every little detail! Waterproof knitting! I might achieve that with tightness but a size 17 needle! Up to eleven of them! Ouch!

I hope you get to feeling better, fall is coming so the weather will be lovely... right? :)

Brigitte said...

Great catch-up post, Julie. I love the little pink cardigan your knitted for the little girl. And also the ones you made for your granddaughter are so beautiful.

I have seen many TV shows with Bob Ross, it's so impressive to see how his paintings come into existence. I little bit like cross stitching :) Great what you painted using his method.

Your holidays in the caravan sound terrific. And thanks for all the interesting pictures from the museum.

So sorry to hear that you have been so poorly lately. And that you had a fall. It takes some time to recover from it but I hope you are healing.

Justine said...

Sorry to hear you've been poorly Julie. I hope you are sorted out soon and back to yourself.
Your knitting is beautiful as always and your painting is gorgeous! You are a very talented lady.
What a wonderful birthday gift you received from your brother and SIL - so thoughtful. I enjoyed reading all about the museum too.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I hope you start to feel better soon, Julie. Your museum visit was really interesting. Love the cardigans you have knitted.

Christine said...

So when are you knitting a gansey Julie? I find them fascinating and I bought a book with all the patterns a long time ago, but realistically i don'r suppose I'll ever knit one

Carol said...

In spite of your not feeling well, you've put together a lovely post for us, Julie! Little Isabelle is going to be the envy of all her classmates in those beautifully handmade sweaters! And the little tiny one with the matching dress is adorable.

I have to say I'm impressed with your painting! I can't imagine mine would look 1/10th as good--I just have no artistic ability in terms of drawing at all...

I enjoyed the museum's photos of the history of knitting--fascinating what a role knitting has played throughout time...

I do hope you feel better each day. Sending you a hug!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month, even though you've been poorly. The trip to Sheringham looks great fun. Sheringham was one of our first "dates" for me and hubby! Along with my son, three's company LOL
The little fringed cardigan is so sweet.

Sally said...

What a fantastic trip you had Julie.

Love yoir painting. You are a very talented lady. Gorgeous knitting too.

Hope you are feeling much better soon.