All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Monday, 4 April 2016

Meeting up with friends

April started with a lovely chance to meet up with friends.  It was the Spring meet of the ladies from Needlecraft Haven.  Just a small group of 5 of us this time.

Clare is the organiser of this and we met at her home this time.   The morning was spent stitching and drinking tea/coffee and chatting. 

Soon it was time to stop and have a bite to eat.  Clare made us a lovely buffet lunch ....


and gorgeous cake to follow - black forest gateau.... yummy.

 
There was a show of work.  It's lovely to see peoples work close up especially when you have watched it grow over time on the forum.  The quilt that sat on the sofa was handmade by Jan, she is such a good quilter and does lovely work.
 
 
We are all readers so a book exchange is always fun.   Wrapped up no-one has any idea what's in each parcel.  Inside the book you add a card to say why you have passed it on and whether you liked it or not etc
 
 
I wrapped up and took along Celia Imrie's debut novel called Not Quite Nice which was won by Clare.    I enjoyed it, she writes very much as she acts and the sequel to it is out soon.
 
The raffle ticket I chose corresponded to this one, included was the fabulous handmade lace bookmark made by Clare's mum.  Thank you Jan for such a beautiful gift as well as the book.
 
 
Everyone donates a prize or two to the raffle.  The money we raise from that always goes to make the forum advert free for a while which is nice.  Great choice of gifts to choose from.
 
 
I chose the wrapped parcel when my number came up, a little surprise inside of a colouring book and pencils, that's going to be fun to use.
 
 
A few weeks before we meet, Clare gives us a theme for the goody bag exchange.  There is a price limit so all bags are roughly the same value.  This time the theme was "A song from your childhood" this one took some thinking about!
 
Here is the assortment of bags awaiting choosing
 
 
The choice is made by picking a homemade cake - carrot cake this time and taking the hidden ticket underneath (hopefully not your own)
 

We had a fun time watching each person open their contents and trying to guess the song they had chosen to use for it.

My bag came from Jan, a great choice and the song was "Grandad" by Clive Dunn.  She had put a picture of her own granddad on the outside and all the contents were wrapped in brown paper and string.  It was super and well thought out.  DH loved the comic when I got home and was so excited to see most of his childhood favourites were still inside it.

 
My bag went to Clare, the song I chose was "The Ugly duckling".  I did have another theme in mind, but came across the Marjolein Bastin duckling kit and my mind was changed
 

Angi received Clare's bag, the song for that one was "The Unicorn song"   Gertrude the goose gave us all a giggle and as Angi had travelled on the train to meet us, Gertrude had a nice journey home inside a bag! (pic on Clare's blog as well as more information about Needlecraft Haven membership)


Angi's bag was won by Gill.  Her song was 'How much is that doggy in the window'


and finally Gill's bag which was won by Jan (Clare's mum).  "Sing a song of Sixpence" was Gill's choice with a clever chart added with both a blackbird and a pie on it by LHN.

 
All too soon it was time for us to pack away and head home, the day does fly by when you are having fun.   Thank you Clare for organising another lovely day for us and baking such delightful treats.
 
Perhaps you saw on the 'show and tell sofa' my latest socks, just in case you missed them here's another pic I took at home before I left.
 
 
I stitched on my LHN WIP during Saturday morning as I had missed my Wednesday evening with Barb and the ladies from Neeedlecraft Haven as we all stitch an LHN or CCN design that evening. I've just the border to add now.   Angi and Gill like this one so it will be off for them to stitch next when its completed.
 
 
I was also stitching on the Joyful World - April.  That's almost finished as I have done some more so i'll wait till its completed to show you.
 
The March challenge was revealed at the weekend.  The gallery can be seen here.  This design was from Sub Rosa.  I changed the colours and did a very simple finish.
 
 
I hope you had fun over the weekend and your life was filled with love and happiness
 
Blessings to you all
 
Julie
 

31 comments:

Maggie said...

Lovely post about the meet up Julie :-)

It always surprises me that the goody bag choices are all different,
there never seems to be a duplicate, which is great!

Maybe i will be able to make it to the Autumn one.
x

Kerryp77 said...

Lovely to read about the get together. The goody bags all had so much thought go into them. Love the little Christmas stitch.

Linda Harris said...

What a wonderful time you had and such fantastic exchanges - sounds like a lot of fun. Beautiful stitching as always to look at on your blog.

Vickie said...

Oh my. The bookmark Jan made is so pretty. You are all so creative with your bags! What fun! Have fun coloring. ;)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What an interesting post Julie, great to see all the lovely ideas and swaps you shared on your get together.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Your Needlecraft Haven group looks like a lot of fun. Your knitting and stitching finishes are beautiful, as usual.

Bea said...

Nothing is as much fun as get together with fellow stitchers. You obviously had a wonderful day - such beautiful workmanship and great giveaways. Love the socks - I knit but I have never mastered socks!

butterfly said...

Another great post Julie , love what you and your friends put together.
You gave me some good ideas for my clubs summer party , I loved the book idea.
Have a lovely week hugs.

Christine said...

The meet ups always look like such fun, I wish I didn't work at the weekends.
Great socks and stitching. I love your take on the challenge. I had to smile when I read that you'd chosen a simple finish. I thought I'd chosen a simple finish for mine. I was WROMG, it is taking me ages :D

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The meet-up day seems to have been great fun. Lovely progress/finishes on your stitching and knitting.

Jo said...

The meet up sounds like so much fun, lots of thought and effort has obviously gone in to it and it's always nice to meet up with like minded friends. I love the colourway of your new socks.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sounds like another great meet-up. Everyone puts so much thought into the goody bags and prizes too. Each one is a real stitcher's treat!

Mii Stitch said...

That was a very well organised meet up day!
Plenty of goodies and yummy home made food, fantastic.

Lovely stitching and love your "simple" finish, it looks super cute.

Katie said...

Loved reading about your fun! What fun exchanges. So glad you had a great time!! Beautiful stitching. Love your socks.

Carol said...

What a fun get together, Julie! The size of it is perfect--anything larger would overwhelm me... Clare's luncheon looks delicious--especially that cake and those cute carrot cupcakes (yes, I have quite the sweet tooth!).

The idea of the theme about the song from your childhood is wonderful--such fun you all must have had opening each bag. (Although, I must confess I have never heard of "Grandad".) You are all very creative!

Lovely little Christmas Blessings pillow and the latest sock finish is fabulous. Happy April to you, Julie :)

Joysze said...

Sounds like a fabulous get together!!! All that yumminess is drool-a-licious!

Lesley said...

I love these posts.So much to look at and so many original ideas.The trouble you all go to makes your get togethers so much fun.
Great socks,in gorgeous colours too.

Tina said...

Lovely meet up Julie,the cakes look amazing,as do the exchanges.Love those socks


Tina xx

rosey175 said...

Your meet-ups always look like so much fun! It's amazing how well everything coordinated on the show-and-tell table. And everyone is so creative too with all their goody bags. You won a lovely bookmark and get to have a great time with the coloring book. :D

Love your socks too!! I'm still impatiently waiting to make some so I've been looking up different toes and cuffs. Is that style of toe comfortable? I've only ever had store-bought socks that have the seam that sits on top of the toes and I've yet to find a knit pattern that does that! Or maybe I just don't know the right terminology yet!

Amy said...

What a fun time! And your knitting and stitching look great!!

Amy said...

What a fun time! And your knitting and stitching look great!!

Barb said...

Seems like a brilliant time was had by all Julie, I do wish I was not so far away. Although I dread to think what the cake etc would have done to the diet. Clare worked hard and everything went to make "Happy times to remember". Stitching and knitting wonderful as usual but I liked the socks you made for your daughter best. Off now to see Angis goose in its bag.
Take care and hugs to both.xx

Tiffstitch said...

that looks like a lovely time for all!

Justine said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day! The goody bags were so inventive, and I love you show and tell table, there are some gorgeous items on display.
Your LHN is really nice, I can see why there's a queue to stitch it. Great update.

Sally said...

What a lovely post Julie. It sounds like you all had great fun at the meet up.

Those socks are lovely. They look toasty and warm.Lovely progress on your CCN piece and love your ornament finish.

Clare - Aimetu said...

It was a great day - thanks Julie for coming over and being part of it :)

Diana Burke said...

What a delightful day you all had, by the sound of it. The goody bags must have been such fun, both to make up and to receive.

Brigitte said...

I always love to read about your get-togethers at Needlecraft Haven. What a nice and friendly group you must be, so many surprises and exchanges and I'm sure everyone was thrilled by what they received. And the food that Clare prepared looks so yummy, too. Must have been so great.

Rachael G said...

Hi Julie, I am so pleased you all had a lovely time, the food all looks yummy especially the cake! It has been such a long time since I have been on the forum, I do miss seeing what you ladies are doing. xx

Angela said...

I love reading about and seeing all the pics from your needlework get togethers. It looks like a lot of fun!

Vicki Boster said...

My goodness-- you ladies must have had a wonderful time.. All those goodies to eat and the gifts too!! I'd have been looking forward to that outing with great anticipation for sure! It's really wonderful that you celebrate good times with your friends--
Love
Vicki