All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Season's Greetings

It was the winter solstice yesterday and what a deluge of rain and windy weather it brought, not at all wintery and not a flake of snow in sight due for the Christmas holidays.  Record temperatures I heard the weatherman say for December, it's been so strange.

It was time to change the seasonal frame and put in Wee Winter by Heart in Hand.  It's been a lovely SAL to do and i'm looking forward to doing it again next year choosing a different designer.


We are all ready for the festive season, the tree is up ...


The much loved hand knitted nativity by my MIL is on show together with the flatfold that I was gifted by Mylene many years ago.



Mince pies have been baked....



and the Christmas fruit cake iced and duly decorated .....


All gifts delivered (or sent to Father Christmas for the little ones) and a couple of envelopes have been received here too, a couple I have saved and one or two were opened.

Remember the skill swap Lindsay and I did.  I knitted a little penguin for her (he's in the previous post) and she was going to make me a beaded ornament in exchange.  Here's what came, isn't is wonderful.  Thank you Lindsay, it looks fabulous on my tree.


A parcel from Barb with a little gift from her and a lovely stitched ornament that now adorns my tree.


Barb's lovely DH (who i have had the pleasure of meeting) has made me the most delightful stained glass bird in a birdcage, he is so clever and I have a few of his lovely creations now.


Sally celebrated her birthday last weekend so I can now show you the little pin keep I sent to her. (I've had to borrow the pic from Sally's blog as I seem to have lost the one I took)



DH's socks are completed and fit perfectly.


A knitted collar was made and given to my SIL to keep her warm around the neck under her coat when the cold weather finally arrives - if it does this year!


The quilted Christmas tree panel didn't get made into a hanging, instead it has been made into a large cushion and has gone home with my brother after his Christmas visit here on Saturday.  It finished as the perfect size to stuff with a ready made bed pillow and turned out quite well.


I made a start on Day 7 of the PSS SAL but that's as far as that's got, so way behind on this.  No problem, it will get completed and made up ready for next year.

This year has been busy with Christmas celebrations. 

It was lovely to be invited to visit the local primary school and watch the nativity.  My granddaughter had been poorly and we were not sure she would be well enough to be at school.  Luckily the meds were doing the trick and she was able to enjoy the last few days of school and be part of this special time of year celebrations.  The school nativity always brings a tear to my eye, remembering the days when my own children were small and filled with wonderment about the  magic of the season.  All those little ones were in awe of their first performance on stage and the delight of learning about the Christmas story.  We were all singing along with the carols.

Parties with plenty to eat and drink at the community centre with friends, one every day last week!


 
DH and I had a trip to the local garden centre where we had a little word with one of Santa's reindeer.  He was having a rest before his busy night.


I made time to have a visit to the cathedral for their advent lunchtime service on Monday this week.  That was really lovely and peaceful and a candle was lit for those family members that are no longer with us to celebrate this festive season.  In our family we have a few anniversaries that fall at Christmastime, one actually on Christmas Day, now it's a time for remembering the good times we shared.

Wishing you all a very happy, peaceful and relaxed Christmas, with fun times with those you hold dear.  I hope you have all been good and Santa delivers you some lovely gifts.

Free Christmas Greetings Clipart

My thoughts are with those families who have been flooded yet again with the recent wet weather this week in the north of the UK.  For some of them this is the third time they have had to bale out their homes recently.  It's hard to imagine how they will be spending a happy Christmas, but hopefully the communities will rally round and they will be able to have some kind of celebration especially for the children.  It does make you realise just how lucky you are and thankful for the things you have yourself.

Christmas Blessings from my home to yours




19 comments:

Maggie said...

You have some lovely crafty goodies to share again Julie :-)

Have a great Christmas and I hope you feel better soon, take care, you don't want to be ill over Christmas, (i've done that trick 2 years running and it's no fun).
xx

Vickie said...

What fantastic gifts you have made so many!
Merry Christmas Julie!

Mii Stitch said...

Love the little winter ornament and pinkeep you have made! You are all ready for Santa! Wishing you a Merry Christmas

butterfly said...

Happy Christmas Julie.
You have had some wonderful gifts ,and made some wonderful gifts .
Always a delight to come and look at all the wonderful creations, looks like you have been busy the last week too.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Are you sure this wasn't a Gifted Gorgeousness link up? There are so many lovely presents on show. Lindsay's beaded ornie is wonderful, very clever.
I love a good school Christmas performance too. My younger son's school is for 3 to 19 year olds and every child does a part plus the signing choir entertain us at the end. It's a full two hour marathon!

cucki said...

My dear I love your sweet Christmas tree so much and you received so many lovely gifts..
I love your sweet stitching so much.
Wishing you Merry Christmas xx

Carol said...

What a lovely post filled with all those Christmas goodies, Julie. Looks as though you are all set for the big day... We are having the same warm, record-breaking weather as you--very strange indeed! I miss the snow at Christmas time, I have to admit.

I wish you and your family a lovely Christmas day and a truly happy, health New Year ahead!

Lesley said...

A lovely post pretty gifts received and given,I love how your cushion turned out..
Merry Christmas to you Julie.

Justine said...

A post full of goodies! Wishing you a very merry Christmas.

valerie said...

Lovely gifts Julie! Merry Christmas and Happy New year! May you and yours have a wonderful holiday.

Bea said...

A post full of gifting and everything is lovely. Enjoy your Christmas!

Penny said...

You've been busy with some lovely Christmas preparations! And you've received some wonderful gifts too. I'm glad your granddaughter was feeling well enough to join in the celebrations at school. I have very fond memories of attending my children's school performances. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas, Julie.

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Julie, what an interesting and thorough post this is. I loved to see all the gifts that were given to you, and the ones that you made for others. Such a great variety of gifts, stitched, knitted and sewn ones. You definitely were busy.
I also loved to see your decoration. That Wee Winter piece is so lovely. I also love to stitch seasonal projects that I can change out according to the respective season. That fruit cake looks gorgeous, very tempting :)
Great to read that you had fun at all the different Christmas parties and that you enjoyed your granddaughter's nativity at her school. These are the moments that we always remember.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Christine said...

What a lovely post Julie! Wishing you a very happy and peaceful Christmas

ORANGE s said...

A Very Merry Christmas and and a creative 2016, Sunny greetings from New Orleans, Alice

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

What a varied and interesting post, Julie (as always). I hope you and yours had a lovely Christmas day

Mary Ann said...

A very lovely post, Julie! I hope you and your family had a Very Merry Christmas!!

Vickie said...

Very pretty stitching gifts!!! I love all your Christmas items!!!!

WendyCarole said...

Love the snowman. And all the stitchy gifts. I have a pattern for a knitted nativity but I never seem to get around to doing it.