All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Knit, stitch, read... snooze

Good morning blog readers... or perhaps its another time of the day where you are?

That's the wonderful thing about writing a blog, you never know what time of day someone will stop by for a little nosey into your world and see what's been happening.

This past week I've still been nursing the germs, just when you think they've gone, whack! they hit you again.  Seems that so many are suffering too... {a big get well hug} to you if you are.   Hope you are resting under the snuggly blanket and getting better.

I've been knitting quite a bit this week, its easier and doesn't take so many concentrating brain cells with the added stitch or two.....

A finish - the cowl was completed, here's my daughter modelling it so I could take a photo.


It looked a bit weird when I laid it on the table to take a pic.


New knitting start - boot socks for said daughter, the ones she has are getting a little worn out.  Some nice bright and jazzy Regia 6 ply wool, just the thing for a dark damp February to be knitting to brighten up the day/evenings.


It's a pattern I have knitted before and is a free one from Ravelry.  Its called Blueberry Waffle Socks. They knit up quickly and are an easy pattern to follow if you are thinking of trying to have a go and knitting socks.  Thicker needles than used for the 4 ply usual sock wool too.

WIP/UFO weekend stitching - Irish Garden came out to play this week and the top inner border on the right was filled in.  One more inner border then just the outer border to fill in.


New stitching start - Parlour evenings on Wednesday with Barb and the ladies at Needlecraft Haven, so that means a CCN, LHN or Sampler Girl design.  This time I chose the CCN Let it Snow ornament from the JCS Ornament Edition 2008.  Stitched over 1 on 22ct, I'm trying to use up some of the fabrics that I have this year and this lovely mustard colour just seemed right for the colours in this design.


Book finish - Read the final page this morning with my cuppa so this one can go back to the library today when I go off to the Book Borrowers this afternoon.  I was recommended this one, not something I usually read.  I'm not a fan of fantasy books but I have to say I did enjoy it.  It's nice to try something different now and then. 

This is how amazon describe it -

THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman.

It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it.

His only defence is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.


Their wording makes it sound very sinister and spooky, I didn't find it so  (if I'd seen this before I read the book, I'm not sure I would have read it lol).  It's a story about a man who remembers being a seven year old boy and some unpleasant happenings in his family life during that time and the farm at the end of the lane is where he finds help and love and a whole lot more, but yes there are some weird out of this world creatures that happen to be in it as well.  Neil Gaiman has written scripts for Dr Who and also collaborated with Terry Pratchett so if you enjoy these type of things perhaps this book would suit you.

Time to sign off and get a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit, the best medicine when you have germs lurking about and the cat needs to go out so he's walking all over the keyboard to get my attention, he's telling me this post is long enough and I really have nothing else to say......

Take care, love and blessings to you all




28 comments:

Sue said...

Lovely knitting and stitching Julie,such pretty colour sock wool,I might have to try some of them x

riona said...

I so admire knitters being little more than a knitting wannabe myself. Your cowl is lovely and the socks so outrageously and joyfully colorful that I very much envy your skill. The Irish garden is lovely.

And thanks for reminding me of Neil Gaiman. It's been many years since I have read any if his works. I really must check this one out.

Marlene jones said...

Lovely knitting and stitching, it's lunch time here, having a hot drink.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely knitting finish, I'm sure your daughter loves it.
I like to hear what others are reading even though I tend to stick to the same old, same old when I come to choosing. I'm currently back to Jeffrey Archer books after a lengthy absence and I'm enjoying them.

Mrs. GraceWorks said...

What gorgeous knitting, Julie! Those socks look so fun!! :) I hope you are feeling better!!

Vickie said...

That cowl looks so warm and great.
Love those boot socks. :)

Carol said...

Your cowl is just lovely on your beautiful daughter, Julie! And what great socks!

Thank you for the book review as I hadn't read this one myself because I thought it would be scary (I hate scary!!). Perhaps I will give it a try after all!

Enjoy your day :)

Angela P said...

Love the Cowl finish and the color of the yarn for the socks! I have that book on my "to read" list, it's not normally something I would choose either.

Heather said...

Good morning Julie! What a lovely cowl and your daughter is very beautiful too! :-)

I love the socks! I have that pattern saved to knit, I like the yarn that you are using. I have a house full of sickies, so I am knitting plain vanilla socks. :-) Hopefully I will stay well long enough to care for them all.
Your stitching is lovely! I have stitched the snowman ornament before for an exchange. I need to stitch it for myself. :-)

I hope that you are feeling better soon! Hugs!

Christine said...

Lovely stitching and knitting Julie.
I love Neil Gaiman's books

butterfly said...


Oh Julie hope you feel better soon , My one came back 3 times ! but fingers crossed I am ok now.

Love your knitting , and your stitching is looking wonderful .
Keep warm and cozy big hugs.

Linda said...

Sorry to hear you have not fully recovered from the germs.

Beautiful knitting and great work on your stitching.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

A pretty cowl and pretty daughter, too. The colors of the socks are marvelous. You look like you are almost done with Irish Garden--it looks lovely. Hope you are feeling much better soon.

Justine said...

Your daughter is so pretty! Your knitting is pretty great too.
Thanks for the book recommendation - I'm trying to read more out of my comfort zone this year so I might give it a go.

Clare - Aimetu said...

Lovely stitching, Amy looks very pleased with her cowl. I hope you feel better soon, it's time those germs disappeared as there's been too many around this year.

maggie said...

I love the knitted cowel, looks a little like an unfinished jumper lay on the table, much better on, bet its warm too :-)
Its my aim to knit a pair of sock this year, i keep saying ill have a go so ill ckeck out the patterm recommendation, thanks :-)
Hope youre soon fighting fit and feeling much better. Xx

valerie said...

Feel better Julie! There are so many germs going around! Lovely cowl and start on teh socks. I'm glad to see you plugging along on the irish garden. It will be stunning once it's complete!

KC'sCourt! said...

The Cowl looks great for a cold winters day. Love the socks
Julie xxxxxx

Mary Ann said...

A lovely knitting finish, and I love the colors of the boot socks you started! Nice progress on Irish Garden, and your new start is a cute one!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Lesley said...

A lovely cowl and those socks are dazzling. Pove the colours.
Irish Garden is looking really good.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Irish Garden looks lovely, great progress there.
The knitting is looking good too, as is your lovely model!

I have read the Neil Gaiman book recently and enjoyed it. I haven't read any of his collaborations with Sir Terry but I'm a huge Pratchett fan so maybe I should.

stitchersanon said...

Wow, your daughter is beautiful, as is the finish. I'm actually knittin and crocheting at the moment but I have never tried socks lol

Parsley said...

Love that bright mixed colored yarn!

Kate said...

Those socks look super cosy and the wool colour is fab. Super stitching update too.
Hope the nasties finally banish themselves soon.

Brigitte said...

Oh no, Julie, these germs seems to like you a lot, but I hope that this visit will be the last with you.

Love your knitting. That cowl doesn't give the cold weather a chance, and it must be real fun to wear such colourful socks. And nice progress on the Irish Garden.

Sally said...

Hope you are feeling much better soon Julie. There seems to be so many with it at the moment.

I love the cowl. Looks so warm and pretty. Lovely start on the socks too. Must be brave and try socks soon!

Lovely stitching too. Of course I'm a huge fan of the snowman one!

Shirlee said...

Lovely stitching & knitting, & a beautiful daughter : )

rosey175 said...

Lovely knitting again! I've always liked the closeness of the stitches in knitting... someday, maybe! :)

I hope you get to feeling better quickly~ Or perhaps you already are, even better!