All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Thursday, 3 October 2013

A September holiday & a couple of finishes

Can it really be that long since I did a blog post showing some stitching?  Another month gone by in the blink of an eye.

Although, I do have a good excuse for one week of the month, I was away on holiday with no internet connection at all, very strange but very therapeutic too.  A lovely week away, just DH and I, we were on the east coast of north Norfolk but looking west, very strange, the sunsets over the sea were beautiful at Hunstanton.

 
Lots of walks along the sea front...
 
 
 strolling along the esplanade gardens which were still in full colour...

 
A visit just up the road to Heacham to the church, St Mary the Virgin

 
where the real Pocahontas, later renamed Rebecka, came from Jamestown after marrying John Rolfe from Heacham.  She lived in the village for a while with her husband. 
 
 
Heacham also boasts the famous Norfolk Lavendar.  We'd missed the best of it but it was still an impressive sight and the smell in the air was very pungent.
 
 
A short distance away is the ruins of Creake Abbey, where Margaret Beaufort used to regularly go to pray for her son Henry Tudor to become the rightful king of England.  Of course he eventually did after the Battle of Bosworth and the death of Richard III - which just happens to be about 10 miles from my home and also the recent finding of Richard III's body in my city.  (If you watched the Philippa Gregory version of The White Queen on the TV recently, you'll know all about Margaret Beaufort). 
 
 
Long walk along Snettisham Beach - hubby used to come here as a child with his family and wanted to revisit.  

 
Burnham Thorpe, the birthplace of Horatio Nelson....
 
 
The pub where he was born....

 
and the village church, Church of All Saints, that his father was rector at for a long time.  This housed a lovely exhibiton of Lord Nelson and his life.  The lectern in the church is made from the timbers from his ship HMS Victory donated to the church by the admiralty.

 
No holiday would be complete without a steam train ride for DH.  The Wells to Walsingham Light Railway boasts the longest 10 1/4" track in the world.  

 
passing through some wonderful countryside on your 40 minute journey ....
 
 
you arrive at Walsingham where you can visit the pilgrimage site of The Shrine of Our Lady or Walsingham Abbey before heading back on a later train. 
 
We visited The Shrine of Our Lady (we have to go back to the do the Abbey another time DH said). You can read more on the link above, as there was a service going on in the church, we were allowed in but no pics.
 
 
This is the outside altar that they have blessings and services at in the warmer weather
 
 
The gardens were very tranquil
 

 
 Short drive after our train journey back and into Wells Next the Sea.  A lovely old fashioned seaside place, a great harbour....
 

 
beach huts in abundance....
 
 
looking out over the wonderful sandy beach.

 
 The only bad day weatherwise was Thursday, and typically that was the day the family drove over to spend the day with us.  It was to be a beach day, but we didn't let the weather bother us.  It turned really windy, rainy and cold.  We still picked shells ....
 
 
Up went the beach shelter ...
 
 
we flew the kite...

 
and by the late afternoon the sunshine had returned and we walked into the town centre from our base close to the lighthouse (I posted a pic of that just a few weeks ago) and we sat eating our fish and chips next to the bandstand watching the sea.
 
 
and you can't have a day at the seaside without a ride!
 
 
Friday the sun shone beautifully, the beach at Old Hunstanton just down from the lifeboat station looked inviting. We set up camp for a while, wandered about, paddled, read our books, ate our picnic lunch and took in the atmosphere - what a shame it wasn't weather like that the day before!
 
 
As with all holidays all too soon it was over and time to return home.  It's only a 2 hour drive away and is our nearest seaside coastal place, i'm sure we'll be visiting it again next summer.
 
Better not sign off without some stitching news, after all this is supposed to be a blog about crafting hobbies isn't it....
 
February 1st saw the start of my stocking-a-long with Linda and a few other ladies.  Last week I put the final stitch into Janlynn's Nativity Stocking.  It's turned out really nice and i'm very pleased with it.  Just need to make friends with the sewing machine and get it made up now.  Thanks Linda, I've really enjoyed stitching along with you and look forward to watching your stocking become complete over the coming weeks.
 

Wednesdays I am in the parlour with Barb and the ladies at Needlecraft Haven, a forum hosted by Clare.  Santa's Village is my choice for this year and Santa's Stocking Store was completed last night, that's makes 5 cottages finished, 7 more to go lol.


Last Sunday was reveal day for the challenge hosted by Christine at NH, she choses us a lovely chart each month and you can do with it what you will, change the colour and make it up just as you wish.  This time the chart was from Kissy Cross.  Here's my version, this one also doubled up as my monthly ornament for September too!

 
There has also been some knitting going on but I've forgotten to take a snap of that.  Plans for October include the Jardin Prive SAL and also the Sunday Mystery Sampler ' Mary's Sampler' at Plum Street Samplers which will be released over 9 weeks.    I'm hosting a UFO evening at Needlecraft Haven called Strictly UFO for all the Strictly Come Dancing fans to sit watching something really exciting and fun and give them a chance to grab an old UFO out of the workbasket and make some progress during the couple of hours you are sat sitting comfy and cosy watching.  There are quite a few bloggers you might know who are joining in with this, look out for their Strictly progress on their blogs.   I'm supposed to be joining them and searching out my very oldest UFO HAED of Leo, I wonder if I can find it???
 
Thanks for stopping by, I hope all is well with you and your families and life is being kind to you.  As autumn is now upon us, we usually find that us stitchers hunker down and get a lot more productive with our hobbies so i'm looking forward to seeing lots of progress on your blogs in the coming weeks and months.
 
 
 
 

20 comments:

Ranae said...

Hi Julie,
By the looks of it, it was well worth no internet for a week
Good luck on Leo
Take care

Ranae said...

Hi Julie,
By the looks of it, it was well worth no internet for a week
Good luck on Leo
Take care

Barb said...

Lovely visit to Norfolk with you Julie, I did watch the white queen and was very interested in
your snapshot. Norfolk has great history and you have managed to show us a snippet thankyou.
OH love the ornie and the stocking for Isabelle , it has sheep !
Will look forward to seeing Leo.
Hugs to you both.

Carol said...

What a wonderful, relaxing week away you had, Julie. I'll bet being without Internet was odd, but it certainly freed up your time to just enjoy all the beauty around you. You have so many wonderful historical sites everywhere in England--I can't imagine! Lovely little church with the Pocahontas and John Rolfe connection. I just went to your link on the St. Mary the Virgin church and was so surprised to read that she died at age 22...

Isabelle looks like she quite enjoyed the trip, too--what a cutie :) Glad you finished her stocking--it is just lovely :)

My Xstitch Place said...

beautiful pics and finishes

Clare - Aimetu said...

You definitely had a great holiday - those photos are great.

Lovely finishes too

KC'sCourt! said...

Looks like you had a great time
Julie xxxxxxxx

KC'sCourt! said...

Looks like you had a great time
Julie xxxxxxxx

stitcheranon said...

OMG I couldnt even get to the stitching bit of your post; I am sat here crying buckets. You wisited my home; my birthplace and it just reminds me how much I miss it. I am related to Nelson through his brother (there were several and they were very shall we say, fruitful); you probably drove past one of my homes on the way to Snettisham beach: we were right on the beach road. When I lived in Dereham and Fakenham hubby and I would go for chips at French's fish and chip shop and watch the sea in the car, especially if it were stormy! I would often go to Hunstanton as I worked in the College of West Anglia (king's Lynn). Poor Pocohontas: a real child bride. Thank you so much for sharing. It is great to see how well my place of birth is doing. I really do miss it. Especially the sea xxxx

cucki said...

Aww such fun holiday time..
Pretty finishes..
Hugs x

Linda said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your holiday - it's amazing how much there is to see in this country and admire.

Well done on completing your stocking - I'm away this weekend so won't get any done until next Friday so will update then.

Lots of lovely stitching in your post too.

Tina said...

Fab blog post Julie,lovely photos and lovely stitching
Xx

Mii Stitch said...

Lovely ornament finish!

jane said...

Sounds like you had a great time Julie. We passed through Hunstanton a couple of years ago on the way back from Great Yarmouth and keep saying we would love to go back, there is so much to see.

Sally said...

Super photos from your holiday Julie. It looked very relaxing.

Gorgeous stitching. I must remember to sign up for the ornament exchange on NH. I haven't done an exchange for ages and it's a nice simple one.

Looking forward to seeing your Plum Street Samplers SAL. I am downloading it but not sure when I'll get around to stitching it. Hopefully before Christmas but I am not saying which Christmas!

Karen said...

Your holiday looked wonderful, so glad you got to enjoy some time relaxing.
I'm looking forward to seeing your Plum Street SAL.
Great stitching pics and progress, I've really enjoyed reading this post.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sunny Hunny!

You'll have to let me know next time and we'll have a meet-up in Norwich.

Your stitching is lovely but something of a contrast to the sea-side photos!

Melanie said...

Such lovely photos! Sounds like a great holiday.
I have to admit that more than a couple days of no Internet would probably make me twitchy. *sigh*
Congrats on finishing up the stocking!!!! I've enjoyed all the progress pics as its gone along. Done just in time to be used this holiday too.

Kate said...

Loved sharing your holiday Julie, our boys were tots the last time we holidayed in Norfolk.
Love the ornament, it's nice to kill 2 birds.
I'm doing the french version of the Jardin Prive SAL and loving it. I've also bookmarked the Plum street one - there just isn't enough time!

WendyCarole said...

Beautiful. I can see why you love the area so much :)