All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 4 August 2013

Blog Hop and a Big Birthday

Are you joining in with Jo at Serendipitous Stitching and the Summer Postcard Blog Hop?  

It's a great way to meet new friends and find new blogs.  The theme this time is 'Home' and I've received a lovely postcard today from Vickie at A Stitchers Story


Vickie writes -

"This is a Brenda Keyes sampler, simply called Black Miniature Sampler. I stitched this 3 years ago from the book called Exquisite Miniatures. I personalized the sampler not only with my initials and date,I also replaced the birds with poodles. =) So I call this piece "The Poodle House Sampler". Rather appropriate, since we now have two toy poodles in residence. ;) This hangs in my kitchen."

Why not hop over and visit Jo and Vicky if you haven't visited their blog before.  Blog hopping is such fun, thanks Jo for organising this, I look forward to seeing where my postcard will be sent.



Happy Birthday to me ..... a big birthday as this time, I turned 50

I had a wonderful day, to be honest is was a wonderful 10 days.  It started the week before with a meal out at a posh French restaurant with a friend.  The Sunday before my whole extended family had organised a surprise family picnic for me at a well known local beauty spot, they are so lovely and know just how to spoil an 'old girl.'

My daughter made this great cake


On the actual day, Tuesday July 30th, friends and close family were here in the morning and I then had cake and 'Happy Birthday' singing from the Book Borrowers group, such fun they are. 

In the evening hubby and I travelled a short drive to Rutland Water, very picturesque and beautiful.  It's famous for the ospreys that come each year to breed.

 
 
We enjoyed a lovely picnic
 
 
Walked around the water, noticing how low it is after the recent hot weather and no rain
 
 
Plenty of fishermen taking advantage of the weather and taking a boat out onto the water
 
 
We read for a while ....
 
 
and as the evening closed in we were thrown off the car park as the wardens come round to lock the gate at 8pm
 

A 45 minute drive home and we decided that after our long walk we were feeling a little peckish so stopped off in the village for a bag of chips.  We enjoyed those at a local beauty spot watching the sun set in the distance.  It was a truly lovely day and so very me, I do like the simple things in life.

I have been very spoiled by ladies I have got to know through the internet and received some wonderful parcels in the post and lots of cards. Would you like to see?

From Barb - a garden voucher to spend and some beautiful notelets
 
 From Christine, such a great knitting bag and bamboo pins too
 
From Karan, a mug for my tea with the loveable bagpuss on, he's my favourite and a notebook.  Hubby and I are using this to write places in that we would like to visit, we often see things and say 'oh that would nice' and then promptly forget all about it, no excuse now.
 
From Sally, a handstitched pillow, a beautiful verse

From Tina (no blog) she had been teasing me about catching up with her and joining the 'over 50' club' so she sent a fun keyring and some lovely threads I haven't tried before and such a pretty fob for my scissors bearing a little book charm
 
From Kathy (no blog), a Lizzie Kate chart
 
On Thursday Clare came over to visit and brought me this beautifully stitched gift.  Her home is only a very short drive from mine and we meet quite often. Such a wonderful special gift she had stitched for me and the saying was so apt.
 
Thank you so very much ladies for making my 50th birthday so very special.  It's been a really emotional time and I am honoured that you call me a friend.  My family marvelled at the cards I had received and by coincidence there were actually 50.  What a lot, 50 cards on my 50th birthday, very strange!
 
The loveliness didn't stop there.  Earlier in the year I was lucky enough to win a giveaway that Cath was having on her blog, The Stitchin Chicken.  An envelope full of wonderful things and a handmade scarf knitted by Cath has also been received this week.  Thank you Cath for such a fabulous parcel, i'm looking forward to the cooler autumn weather so I can wear the super soft scarf.
 

I think that's all my news here.  If you have managed to get to the end, well done and thank you.

Not a lot of stitching happening here at all this week as you can imagine, a couple of letters on the Best in Show sampler and that's all, its been far too hot and too busy to get needle and thread out.  Hopefully i'll do better this week and be back with some stitching updates next time.

I hope all is well for you and your family, ((big hugs)) for some of the ladies as I know they could do with them right now.



32 comments:

meggie said...

Hello Julie

happy birthday! Looks like you had a great day and got some lovely presents. Your photos are beautiful and I love the cake!
Great postcard from Vickie too!
Have a good week (:

Emma/Itzy said...

Happy belated birthday - it sounds like you had a great day and got thoroughly spoilt (rightly so too!)

Cath said...

Fantastic cake ,and some lovely gifts . Glad you had a good time .X

Linda said...

Many happy returns - you certainly have had some wonderful celebrations and presents - enjoy them all for your special day. x

Clare - Aimetu said...

Beautiful gifts and a gorgeous cake too - enjoy being 50 !!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Belated birthday wishes to you. It looks like you had a lovely day out, I think it's the simple things that give us most pleasure.

Parsley said...

Aww, happy birthday! It looks like it was a wonderful one.

Tina said...

Lovely to see pictures of your special day,the cake is fab well done to your clever daughter.
Fantastic gifts received too.


Tina xx

Lesleyanne said...

Happy 50th Birthday Julie. Looks like you had a great day from the pictures you shared. Gorgeous birthday gifts.

butterfly said...

Sorry I missed your big birthday , but Happy Birthday to you, great gifts from friends love all the photo's hugs.

Marlene Jones said...

Happy birthday, your day sounded perfect.

Barb said...

So pleased the weather was fine for you on your extended birthday Julie. Some lovely gifts and some unbirthday ones too. Post not too long at all , oh dear I have just done what you call a long one lol!!!
Thanks for mail will answer soon , Big hugs sweetie.

cucki said...

happy birthday dear..
Looks like you had a great day and got some lovely presents.
yummy cake :)
Great postcard from Vickie too...
Happy day.
hugs x

Vickie said...

Hi Julie! Your blog is new to me. I am so glad we "met" each other now. =)
What a cake! Fabulous. Such a lovely day too. So glad you had wonderful celebrations.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy belated Birthday but I think you are misleading us with the number, the lady at the picnic does not look a day over 40!
Love the Bagpuss cake.
As for getting evicted from the park, that's so rock'n'roll!!

Thanks for joining in with the blog hop too.

stitcheranon said...

I am soooo sorry I missed this! Darn my brain! Have a happy belated birthday, you look amazing..great to see the real you. BTW have got the hang of the Disk you gave me: just made the prettiest chart, will show you when stitched. it is perfect. Off to hit head on wall cus I missed such a special birthday ;-((( And Im sure you mentioned it. So So sorry.

Mii Stitch said...

Many happy returns!! Oooh, that bagpuss birthday cake looks delicious!! You have been spoilt by all your friends & looks like you had a grand day out!!! So glad you had a nice time :) x

Chris said...

What a wonderful birthday you had... and happy days for the rest of the year for you as I missed the day!
Love Chris xxx

Kerryp77 said...

What a lovely 10 days you had. Happy belated birthday. the cake looks yum, and what fab gifts.

love the sampler from the blog hop too.

Carol said...

Happy Belated Birthday, dear Julie! 50 years old!! You are still so young (coming from someone who will be 59 in January!!). I wish you a wonderful year ahead filled with everything that makes you happiest :)

Such lovely gifts from your many blogging friends. You certainly were spoiled and you well deserve it!

Vicky L said...

Happy belated Birthday! You received some lovely gifts and 50 cards! Amazing!

Penny said...

Happy birthday, Julie! What a beautiful place for a picnic You really received some lovely gifts! Cute cake and mug. :)

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday! You received some beautiful gifts! Love the cake.

Julie said...

Happy Belated birthday.Your daughter is a talented cake maker.Lovely gifts.
I like to think that 50 is the new 21.

Melanie said...

Happy happy happy birthday!! :)
Glad you enjoyed your day and your wonderful gifts. And that CAKE. It's marvelous.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Happy belated birthday! Looks like you had a grand time. You certainly deserve it, Kid!

Pumpkin said...

What a neat idea! I love how she personalized the sampler. LOL!

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY JULIE!!!! The big 5-0. Well, you sure don't look 50. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with friends and family. Such lovely gifts. I'm glad to see you were spoiled :o)

Janet P said...

I am so glad you had a lovely birthday, the photos are wonderful it looks so peaceful there, and what better than to have a picnic with the family. x

Christine said...

Glad you had a great birthday Julie

Catherine said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! What a wonderful time you've had!!

Brigitte said...

Happy belated birthday, Julie. Is there a lovelier way to spend the birthday evening with the husband at the lake shore having a picnic, reading and talking and having a good time? A wonderful idea. And enjoy all your wonderful gifts from family and friends.

Jan Gartlan said...

Happy Belated Birthday x