All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 26 August 2012

Round Robin ready to fly home

Good morning blog readers, today the sun is shining and everything seems well with my world, i hope it is for you too.

Here in the UK we have an extended weekend as it's the late summer bank holiday so a lot of people will be having Monday off work. DH and i hadn't anything planned so have just been pottering about catching up on things that needed doing and taking it easy.

He was in the garden yesterday inbetween the heavy rain showers and i spent a nice morning in my conservatory with needle and thread and finished my part on the RR from NH.

How it arrived with me -


and how it will leave me.... I finished the yellow angel and very lovely she was to stitch.

Clare's notes that accompanied the design say it is Angel Blessings by Gail Bussi and was in the copy of Cross Stitch Gold magazine that she received as a gift at Christmastime.

This is the final posting of the RR's and this will now return to Clare for her to complete. Mine will come home and i will be able to stitch the final page of My Little Book of Stitches by Debbie Draper and then make it up. I'm really excited to see what it looks like after being away since the beginning of the year.

I still have my nose in a book and this weekend i started this one.


A couple of the Book Borrowers have read this and highly recommended it. It won “Newcomer of the Year” Award at the Galaxy British Book Awards in 2007 and has been talked about in the media.

Keen to preserve the integrity of the book and to give something back to the Mediterranean island on which it is based, Hislop spurning Hollywood, the author settled for “far less” from Mega, the Greek broadcaster, which adapted The Island as the 26-part drama To Nisi which was broadcast in 2010-2011, becoming the most successful television series ever broadcast in Greece. The series has since been sold for syndication to Turkey and Croatia.

The Island has been translated into more than twenty languages, and has been a bestseller in many countries around the world.


The synopsis reads :-

On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother’s past. But Sofia has never spoken of it. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan village before moving to London. When Alexis decides to visit Crete, however, Sofia gives her daughter a letter to take to an old friend, and promises that through her she will learn more.

Arriving in Plaka, Alexis is astonished to see that it lies a stone’s throw from the tiny, deserted island of Spinalonga – Greece’s former leper colony. Then she finds Fotini, and at last hears the story that Sofia has buried all her life: the tale of her great-grandmother Eleni and her daughters and a family rent by tragedy, war and passion.

She discovers how intimately she is connected with the island, and how secrecy holds them all in its powerful grip…


I've read a few chapters and it made me want to look up this island off the coast of Crete in Greece. so, i've just found Spinalonga on the computer just to see exactly where it is and find out more about it - dont you just love technology when you can press a button and it works. Very interesting reading, in 1903 the Greek State decided all lepers in the country would be placed in quarantine on the island and i didn't know it was an still that way right up until 1957. 760 people lived there and 36 children were born on the island. After watching this video i'll be able to see in my minds eye where this novel which is a cross between fact and fiction is set.

I think this is going to be one of those books that leaves an impression on you. Has anyone else read it?

Take care my friends, give those you love a {big hug} to remind them how important they are to you.








24 comments:

Annie said...

Hello Julie

Your yellow angel is really pretty!
Looking forward to seeing your RR when you get it home.

I've read The Island and I thought it was a lovely book. Hope you enjoy it too.

Annie x

Barb said...

Hello sweetie, Big hug coming your way.
I absolutely loved The Island although very thought provoking at times. As you said it is a book that stays with you. I see she has another out called The Thread but I have notread that one yet.
I have just been to view the video thanks for the link.
More hugs from me to you.


Mii Stitch said...

The little angels are cute! Nice work ☺

Maggie said...

You did a great job on the yellow angel, can't wait to see your RR when it gets back to you.

I haven't read The Island but i'm always on the look out for new authors, so thanks for mentioning it.
Crete is the one Greek island we have never been too, i don't know why, it's supposed to be very nice so maybe we will get around to it sometime. I'm going to have a look at the link you gave now.

Have a great BH weekend x

jane said...

Lovely stitching on the RR!
I have heard of this book and it does appeal to me - one for my ever-growing list!!

cucki said...

Awww the angels are so cute ..I love them so much.
Lots of love for you xxx

gracie said...

The angels are so sweet...
I just viewed the "video" and m=now find that I must read the book!

Melanie said...

I love the angels - they are so adorable looking. I'd be sad to pass it on to the next person. lol
I haven't read that book but it sounds intriguing. I'll have to hop over to Goodreads and add it to my 'to read' list!!

Linda said...

What a wonderful job you have done with this round robin - they all look fantastic.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend x

Gillie said...

Well done on the RR and here's to the safe return of yours. Yes, I have read The Island and loved it, could bear a second read, I think.

Christine said...

Nice work on the RR, that book sounds very interesting

Carol said...

I'll bet you can't wait for your own RR to return home, Julie--the angel you stitched for Clare's is so pretty!

And thanks for the tip on the book--will definitely add it to my list :)

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely block on the RR. Bet you can't wait for yours to come home. Will keep an eye open for the book.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Its cute Julie!!! I've been toying with the idea of getting invovled in an RR in the near future.

Clare - Aimetu said...

My angels are looking really good, thanks for stitching the yllow one, you did loads :) That book s on my to read list too, I'd heard it was a must read one, enjoy :)

mdgtjulie said...

I haven't read it Julie, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to find a copy... Eventually, lol. I have school first, though. So that takes precedence. The RR you worked on looks good. Grats on the "finish" on it.

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful work on the RR, and I look forward to seeing yours when it returns home! And, I love your blog header--is it new?

Lesley said...

What a beautiful RR.The yellow angel is so pretty.
The book you are reading sounds really interesting,just my sort of reading.

DUSTY said...

Hi Julie, I enjoyed stitching on Clare's RR also, wasn't it fun ?? The book sounds very interesting. I think I will have to look for it an give it a read. Enjoy both your stitching and your reading !!

Shari said...

congrats on your part of the RR ....it looks great & I know you are excited to get yours home, to finish.....
the book sounds very interesting....have you read more since I am way late in posting a comment???
have a great day!!!!

Brigitte said...

Oh great RR-stitching. It's a lovely idea for an RR to stitch these angels.
I have this book on my shelves and had completely frogotten about it. I think I'll have to put it on my to-be-read-soon pile - it sounds very intriguing.

Kathy Ellen said...

Clare must be so thrilled with the beautiful stitching of the 'Yellow' Angel. What a wonderful piece. Gail Bussi has been one of my favorite designers for many years.

You must really be looking forward to seeing the progress on your own RR when it returns home.

Blessings for a wonderful week!

DUSTY said...

Julie, your RR looks lovely. I enjoyed stitching on this one too. I am working on Lynn's now and it is almost ready to be mailed. I can see you are almost as bad as me when it comes to a good book. Enjoy !!!

Flávia e Cristiana said...

Olá! Gostei muito de conhecer seu blog. Maravilhosos trabalhos. Um abraço.