All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Sunday, 22 March 2020

Mothering Sunday

Amidst all the chaos surrounding the world at the moment with Covid-19, here in the UK there were celebrations in all sorts of ways today as people made the best of things as it was Mothering Sunday or Mothers Day as it is now called.
 
I have been very lucky in that I have been able to see both my children in different ways.   As we are keeping away from everyone due to our health issues it was difficult.
 
My daughter left a bouquet and parcel for me at the door which DH sanitized and I opened.  We then had a nicer time on facetime chatting where we shared fun and laughter with her, her partner and my granddaughter and their little dog.
 
 
 
 
DS delivered a parcel too which got the sanitizer treatment before I opened it and we had a very brief chat as he stood so far away we had to shout at each other whilst I was inside the hallway and him outside to protect us.
 
DS is so caring.  He said if you are to stay home you might as well be comfy, I bought you some new slippers.  He has been out all day in his medical capacity helping others.
 
 
 
Lovely cards from them all too ....
 
 
 
 
Today was also DS's 35th birthday. 
I baked a cake and sent him a pic of it this morning with DH and I singing!
 
 
 
 
Many mums have not been able to see their children and I think many who have angel mums or angel children have found it a very hard day, perhaps much harder than they usually do. My thoughts have been with you.
 
Stay safe and do the best you can. 
Enjoy the enforced quiet times that are being forced upon us and of course don't forget to say the words 'I love you' to those you care about. That little phone call or text message might mean more to them than you realise.
 
Sending my love and blessings to you all
 
Julie
 
 

24 comments:

  1. It was a very strange Mothers Day indeed. I took my mum a card and present round but like your son stood a good distance away and had to shout. My daughters all left their gifts in the porch for me. At the end of our road were two daughters and a mother sat on patio chairs on the drive, all a good distance apart having a natter, I thought that was lovely. Lets hope people start listening to what they are told and stay away from places, distancing is the only way we are going to beat this. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a strange day.......... I had a video call from New Zealand from eldest, and the two youngest rang. I would have gone to my youngest's house today but........
    I did gardening instead

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read you could enjoy Mother's Day and DS' birthday .... great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Julie , yes we do what ever we can .
    I spoke to my daughter by phone.
    Enjoy your week Yummy cake .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful flowers. Your Mothers' day worked out really well in the end despite all the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for referring to it as Mothering Sunday, which is what we have in the UK.
    Despite being an atheist I still respect the history of the day which was part of Lent when everyone was supposed to attend their 'mother' church and for servants working away from home, this very often also allowed them to visit their mother.
    Mother's day on the other hand, is an American invention from the early 1900s, held in May, which very quickly turned into a commercial extravaganza. It possibly only began to be called 'Mothers' Day' here so that Hallmark Cards could use the same designs in both countries!
    Please let us regain our heritage and differentiate between the two days, their names and their origins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to receive those gifts from your caring children I expect mothering sunday has been difficult for so many people this year. Tthe cake looks delicious, flowers are lovely and those slippers are so cheerful. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely gifts and beautiful flowers. I'm going to google that book in a moment, it looks right up my street, and such cheery slippers. It was a very strange day yesterday. Eleanor had booked for us to go for afternoon tea, but of course that got cancelled, but it's something to look forward to at a later date. It was my dad's birthday yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie I think we are all suffering from already missing our families, we have set up messenger groups for our siblings and face time our children and grandchildren. It's going to be a long time isolated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a nice Mother's day for you despite the circumstances. Hope you and your husband stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a strange day. Thank goodness for being able to keep in touch by phone and facetime.
    I hope you enjoyed your son's cake and I'm sure you will bake him another when it is possible to do so. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy that your Mother's Day, although different, was still filled with surprises and visits from your children. Thank goodness for Facetime in times like these! I don't know when we'll see any of our sons next...

    Glad you are exercising so much caution with the incoming packages. That makes me nervous when our mail arrives each day. Take care now, Julie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie: Happy Mothers Day, I am sure it is hard not being able to be with your children, we could not have children so I am not sure of the heart ache.
    Stay Healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely Mothering Sunday you did have Julie. You have good children. I have been talking to my Mom a lot more since my Stepdad died and that will not be decreasing now!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are all finding creative ways to reconnect with our friends and family. I'm so glad to hear you are staying safe If everyone will do their part this will be over soon. Happy Mother's day (belated). Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am lucky that both my boys are still at home! My husband took cards and presents to both our Mothers and left them at the door. Safety first.
    Next year will be very different for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here in the US our Mother's Day isn't until May. I was actually born on Mother's Day in 1979. So sad to hear about your day. Since I live with my mother isn't impossible to distance myself. I am making sure to change clothes and wash my hands like I'm a surgeon before touching her after being out. It's just crazy what is going on. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely that you got to see/chat with your children.
    I must admit I like the idea of baking DS a virtual cake - I suppose you had to eat it for him too?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, nice to read that you were able to celebrate Mother's Day with your children, even if it was done in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to read you had a nice Mothering Sunday.
    You had lovely gifts, the flowers, book and slippers, sweet cards too!
    The book looks very useful!
    Very difficult times, let’s hope it doesn’t last too long!
    Keep safe and well!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was indeed a strange Mother's Day, but I'm pleased that under the present circumstances yours went well.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs - lovely cards and gifts.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is so hard. Many positive thoughts and protection for DS so he doesn't become sick. Those are very thoughtful gifts of the slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We haven't had Mother's Day here yet, but I'm sure it will be very similar. You received some lovely gifts and cards though, so that was special!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit here, thank you.

It's lovely to hear what you think and it's always nice to read any comments that are left by readers.

I do appreciate each and every comment, thank you for taking the time to stop by for a visit.