All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Wednesday, 1 January 2020

Start as you mean to go on

On this first day of the new year - 2020 will be a leap year so we get an extra day - we had a late start, the fireworks outside had kept us awake till very late last night (or should that be this morning).  There is always someone who thinks it's a good idea to set them off well after 1am... i hope they had a nice party.  I was reading my book in bed till it finished after a quiet evening at home just the two of us.

A phone call from my friend over the road this morning to ask if I would like to share a cuppa and a catch up chat on New Years Day, yes please I said. 


When I walked across the road to share said cuppa and munch a rogue mince pie - it did lessen my friends Christmas leftovers - a lady I didn't know was crossing the road coming towards me and smiled.  "Good Morning, Happy New Year to you" I said as I smiled back at her.  "Thank you" was her reply "you've made my day".  It felt so spontaneous and natural and has kept me smiling all day. 

As I get older I do tend to open my mouth and say things to strangers.  I had a conversation with a lady at the garden centre just before Christmas about the beautiful nativity scene that was on show and how it is so sad that a lot of schools no longer do the traditional school nativity due to multi cultural faiths.  We parted wishing each other a Merry Christmas and i'm sure we both felt more cheerful for the little chat.

Do you speak to strangers or are you more aware of 'stranger danger' like the schools teach children, as DH reminded me when I came home and told him why I was grinning from ear to ear this morning.  Is there an age when its acceptable to randomly chat to people? 

I need to be more cheerful this year and find more fun and laughter in my life, last year was not a good one. This sounds like a good plan for the year to come so I think i'll give it a try. I just hope I don't come home with a black eye one day when someone takes offence!

Love and blessings to all

Julie 
 

19 comments:

  1. We always say good morning as we walk to the shops, often we get smiles and answers, it feels so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie, you made me smile with this. I speak to strangers all the time when I'm out. I think working on a public NHS desk takes away any reservations you might have about doing this. It's amazing how much you get back from it and how nice it is to chat to people "in the passing". In a queue yesterday in M&S I started to chat to a young man and we had a brief discussion about high street shopping versus online shopping. As he left, he wished me Happy New Year:-) Often people initiate conversation when you smile at them or say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just like you.Just walking along I will always say hello or good morning.You never know whether it might be the only contact that person has that day.A smile and a greeting cost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I greet every one I meet! And I chat with people in stores often.
    Happy New Year my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you blogging again Julie!
    I speak to complete strangers, I do get some funny looks sometimes, like they are thinking who is this mad woman!!but hey ho!
    Harpy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often speak to strangers, we northerners tend to be a friendly bunch who will speak to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chat to people. I think the age to chat to strangers is the age you feel comfortable to do so. So in my mid sixties I talk to strangers!

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year. I went a walk yesterday afternoon, several Happy New Year greetings, exchanged with strangers, and a lovely long chat wuth a lady with a pushchair as to whether a footpath had been re-opened following bridge repairs.She was a stranger and the footpath has been re-opened. I agree that us Up North do talk to strangers. Spent Christmas Down South and noticed that people did not speak to strangers and made a habit of looking away when you walked towards them! Their loss I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone speaks to everyone round here, I think it's because it's a small village

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie what a lovely post and yes, I love to have chats with strangers. I read an article a few months back that talked about how chatting with strangers is really beneficial for both parties.. I just looked and found this BBC article https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48459940. I'm not sure if it is the one I read but if not, it is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would hope no one will take offence at your sincere kindness, and please keep in mind you can't please everyone, so if they do, it is not your fault! I do try and smile at people on the street or at least make eye contact in a friendly way, if I'm explaining that well, because so many times I've read that people contemplating suicide have said one person smiled at them, and that changed their mind, that they did exist. Plus, once a stranger said how much she liked my hair and it completely turned my day around. Be kind! Be you. :) Also I hope this year is better healthwise too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I talk to everyone. I love making people smile. I have never had anything bad happen to me. Sometimes I'm sure the people think I'm weird but honestly 99% of the time they smile and we have a great chat. We need to spread kindness more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A smile is contagious and can bring such joy, I too chat to people when out and about ... it makes us all feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year Julie to you and your family .
    TALK oh yes do it all the time .
    Like you now I am older I talk to all .
    Always making new friends even my hubby does it.
    When on holiday we always make so many friends .
    I love it .

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one of the things I miss most about working at the library--chatting with strangers day in and day out :) Many of them were older and I think I may have been the only conversation they had with anyone all day. I really tried to listen and give them special attention. And yes, if I'm out in a store, walking down the street, etc. I will often say hello :) It does make for a much more pleasant day! Happy New Year, Julie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a nice start to the year. I loved looking through your list of finishes and books read. Are you on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm another one who talks to strangers! It's easier when you have a pram or pushchair as everyone likes to talk to a baby. It also helps to live in a small town where you tend to see the same people every week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I often smile and say hello, or good morning when I'm out … it feels good and makes the world a friendlier place.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yes, I'm a talker! Especially if they have a baby or dog with them. I saw a man with twins at the store today so I had to say hello and have a twin chat. It was even better that one of the Gmen was with me! It's always nice to put a smile on someone's face, you could make their day a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit here, thank you.

It's lovely to hear what you think and it's always nice to read any comments that are left by readers.

I do appreciate each and every comment, thank you for taking the time to stop by for a visit.