All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Thursday, 31 January 2019

January ~ Was it a productive month?

CARRIED FORWARD FROM 2018

I said I wanted to complete Just Nan "High Hopes" during January and yes ... hooray .... it's a finish. 

I'm on the lookout for a nice frame for it.

 
 
 
Here are some close ups of the lovely details in it. 

 
 
 

The chart is now winging its way through the postal system to Jo for her Just Nan collection.


STITCHING  

I'm taking part in a valentine exchange next month, stitching complete, but still secret till opening day.   A winter SAL design is stitched, just needs final finishing.    These bring the total to 3 stitching finishes for the first month of the year.

KNITTING

DH's Dennis socks



DH's fingerless gloves


Two finishes and a new WIP being carried forward into February - a red cardigan is on the needles  for my granddaughter.  

 

READING  - 3 books read

The Bride of Ivy Green by Julie Klassen

This is the third and final part in this series. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading these and it all started when Clare bought me the first one for my birthday in 2017.  A really lovely series about the village of Ivy Hill, its inhabitants and what they get up to in the 1820's.  Jane, Rachel and Mercy are three ladies who feature in all the books and find themselves in various different situations that you wouldn't expect to find of that time.

Casting Off  by P I Paris


Casting Off was originally a stage play in 2015 that told the story of three elderly ladies, innocent Dorothy, prim Miss Ross and wordly wise Joan in a Scottish highland care home.  The fees are to be put up so they set about trying to find a way to earn some money to help them fund their retirement.  It was so successful that it was turned into a book.   It made me 'laugh out loud' in parts and the things they got up to I can see why it was billed as a comedy play. 

A Whisper of Peace by KimVogal Sawyer


Spotted this one on the charity table at the supermarket. My donation put into the box and I was the owner of a brand new never read book.  It smelt new and the spine cracked when I opened it.  I've seen Kim Vogal Sawyer on a few blogs from overseas ladies and am pleased i found this one.  It was an enjoyable read about a brother and sister missionaries who build a school in Alaska on the edge of an indian village.  They befriend a young girl who is not welcome in the village as she has an indian mother and white father.  It's a tale of the pathway they tread, dealing with various issues and how life can be changed through their preachings.

Have you heard of the author Imogen Clark?  Barb recommended her to me.  I looked her up online, signed up to her newsletter.  She was offering a chance to win copies of her two books in audio form.  After a few clicks on the computer, a little note saying why i sometimes listen to audio books and i had entered.  She emailed me back to say thanks for entering...... wasn't that nice.  Last week an email pinged into my inbox and i was the winner of her stories.  I'm looking forward to listening to them very much after they came highly recommended by Barb.   Has anyone else read her books?


I had quite a productive month with many hours spent enjoying my hobbies, i hope you did too.

Warm thoughts for those in the snow laden areas both here in the UK and overseas.  The best place to be is inside crafting or reading a book.

Love and blessings

Julie



27 comments:

  1. Oh, your High Hopes finish is just delightful, Julie! I think I told you I stitched it for my sister about 10 years ago and I really love all the sweet details in it. The colors are so fun and spring-like, too. Congratulations!

    Beautifully knit finishes and the newest red cardigan will be well received after it's finished, I'm sure :)

    Hope your February will be filled with even more crafting and reading time! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cross stitching is beautiful. The red cardigan looks pretty

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a nice pattern to discover so many little things, the cute cat, the little birdhouse and all the little flowers everywhere - very nice.
    Greetings Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - love the embroidery. Going to look out for that Julie Klassen book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your finish is beautiful, I do wish I could find my cross stitching mojo. Love the socks and fingerless gloves. I love your knit using bright red yarn, I don't wear red, and with grandsons, it's a colour I never use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. High Hopes is gorgeous, it will look wonderful when you get it framed.
    Great knitting too, your fingerless mitts have inspired me to have a go. I'm halfway up the first one now. I'd have got further but every time I pick it up the cat jumps on my lap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful design and a fabulous finish, so detailed, it will look wonderful once it's framed. Casting Off is on my wish list, I've read another review of it which also sounded good. I've never heard of Imogen Clark, congratulations on your win, I hope you enjoy the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cross stich sampler, you have been busy with stitching and knitting. I like the sound of Casting Off and how lovely for you to win the audio books:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. High Hopes is a lovely finish, Julie. You have been busy this month between your crafting and reading. I need to take a leaf out of your book and get more things done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. High Hopes is just a beautiful piece. Looks like a place I would love to sit and watch all those lovely critters play. Glad you had a productive month. Good luck with February!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another gorgeous stitch I never saw before!! I just love all the beautiful motifs and colors in the Just Nan, you did a love job stitching. Such lovely knitting too!! I bet those socks are keeping Dennis nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. High Hopes is lovely all finished up! The tiny daffodils are my favorites, though the cat is a close second. :) I think your month was productive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your stitching High Hopes, I have this one in my Wips box I must get it out this year.
    Have a wonderful Sunday and stay warm .

    ReplyDelete
  14. High Hopes is just wonderful Julie. I love it! I have never heard of Imogen Clark, but that was a very pleasant surprise to win the audio books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful stitching Julie, you've been very productive.. and knitting too. I liked the sound of the book set in Alaska (I think) I shall ,look it up in my library.
    Take care, Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely finishes for January and congratulations on winning the audio books. I haven't heard of the author, I took me a while to get into audio books but i really do enjoy listening to them now, I tend to listen to books that I think i would not necessarily want to read, if that makes sense,lol
    Hope you have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just Nan has such lovely designs, I hope you find the perfect frame.
    Love all your knitting, such lovely things.
    The books look interesting, thank-you for sharing with us.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful stitching finish...well done. It's lovely, so many pretty details. I love your sweet cardigan, gorgeous colour too. I will have to keep my eyes open for Casting Off it sounds like my kind of book.

    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on winning the audio books and love your Just Nan finish, so complex! Also excellent knitting finishes and love the red cardigan. Thank you for the book recommendations as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, it looks so lovely and delicate! I love all the flowers and the cat is sweet too. I hope you find a frame for it soon.
    Your knitting looks wonderful, the cardigan is going to be so pretty in red.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Just Nan finishing !
    I also love the knitting. I wrote down the title of that book of Jullie Klassen, if I'm correct I didn't read this one.
    I'm now reading books from Sarah Ladd, she also has wonderful books !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your Just Nan Finish.
    The socks look cozy , so useful in this harsh winter.

    I wish to take up reading some day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just a thank you for the comments on my blogs, I hope the change in your diet will improve your health, although' I would never had said you needed to lose weight! What a super surprise winning the audio book that will ber great while you're stitching

    Fondest regards and Every blessingx

    ReplyDelete
  24. congratulation for finishing a lot of wonderful works.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just Nan pieces are very pretty and this one looks lovely Julie. I enjoy seeing your book choices. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous stitch Julie. Love everything about it. Great socks which will keep someone very warm. And that pretty red sweater!!! RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous High Hopes, so many colours and details.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit here, thank you.

It's lovely to hear what you think and it's always nice to read any comments that are left by readers.

I do appreciate each and every comment, thank you for taking the time to stop by for a visit.