All pictures and entries on this blog are the © copyright of the author unless otherwise stated.
Please do not take anything without prior permission. Thank you.

Monday, 22 February 2016

A new toy to play with

Todays "Happy Thought" calendar has the most appropriate saying for a crafter on it ..... 
 


Full moon time again, this month the full moon is called a Snow moon or hunger moon.  It's given this name as February is the month when many areas still have the ground covered with winter snow and if you live off the land its a time that you might be feeling a little hungry as crops are scarce.

The moon this evening looks fabulous, so full and bright - no pics as they didn't turn out - must try harder and learn better photography skills!

I can show you a picture of my new toy .... a wooden spinning wool holder.

 
It holds your ball of wool as you are knitting and stops it rolling around.  The top twizzles (that's a nice word) as you pull the wool off.   Very simple, but so lovely.

 
I've been enjoying trying it out and knitted up a cardigan for my granddaughter.
 
 
I've also attended a days quilting class.   This time we were making a table runner.  Here's how mine looks after the class -
 


Still quite a bit to do on it to finish it.   The tutors finished runner looked like this ....


 
I've done a little stitching, the February challenge at needlecraft Haven is stitched and i'll get it made up before Sunday which is reveal day.  I'll show you that next time. 
 
 
Hospital appointments have been attended, just awaiting the results of some not nice tests now, hopefully not too long to wait for those.  I've also been nursing a cold for the past few days too, I wonder where I caught that?   Sending this little note germ free to you ......
 
I'm a little behind on blog reading but hope to catch up over the next few days.
 
Love and blessings to you all
 
Julie

22 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely quote and so very true!
I love your wool holder. There's something very satisfying about turned wood.

Tiffstitch said...

Nice wool holder and glad it's been handy for you. That is a great idea.

Mylene said...

That's a lovely cardigan for your granddaughter. And you are doing great with your quilting.
Hope you feel better very soon.

cucki said...

Hope you feel better soon
Love the quote :)
Love and smiles x

Kerryp77 said...

The quilting looks so lovely, it looks like you're well on your way with it. The cardi looks cosy too.

Christine said...

That's a great quote Julie.
The wool holder is a great idea, I wonder would it keep the cats off?
Your runner is looking beautiful

Vickie said...

What a beautiful cardigan Julie. That table runner is going to be gorgeous.

Katie said...

I have the bug too. Hope you get over yours quickly.

Lots of pretty things going on in this post. I agree with the calendar page. Neat holder. Glad it helps out a bit. Love the cardigan you made. The color is beautiful. Your table runner is too pretty. Great job with it so far. Hope the test results come back quickly and with the right answers.

Paula Lima said...

Sometimes it seems the whole world needed to read a calendar like that!
Love the cardigan
A sticher from Portugal
Paula Lima
http://pontoaquipontoacola.blogs.sapo.pt/

Justine said...

Great quote Julie - thanks for sharing.

You've been busy! Your runner is beautiful.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The wool holder is a good idea. I'm sure the cardigan was well received. Your quilted table runner is looking good.

Amy said...

Your knitting and quilting are lovely!! Those are two crafts I've often wished I could do.

Angela said...

Hope you are feeling better soon :) Love the Cardigan!

Carolyn said...

Hello Julie,
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. What a great thought for the day. I love how your posting these. What a great spinning tool. Great idea for its use. What a sweet cardigan for your granddaughter. Your table runner is beautiful so far. I'm hoping your tests come back positive and your cold gets better soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie I now have a link up on my blog for Throwback Stitching. Go have a look. If you have any questions please ask.

Have a wonderful stitching day!

Carol said...

Wow, Julie! Another beautiful cardigan for your granddaughter. She must be the best-dressed girl in her classroom :) I'm amazed at how quickly you can knit these... And your runner is looking so pretty, too.

Sorry to hear about the cold--they have been going around here, too. Colds AND the flu. Trying my best to keep germ free :) But, it's hard when you work with the public at the library! Take care now...

Brigitte said...

Great that you coulaalready try out your new knitting toy when knitting this lovely red sweater for your granddaughter. And wow, this table runner looks really good. You used some very nice fabrics for it, very spring-y.
I hope you are not under the weather and that the cold decided to leave you for good. And I hope that the test results are nothing to worry about.

Maggie said...

The table runner is going to be lovely Julie, well done.

I've seen those yarn holders and wondered if they do what it says on the tin, how are you getting on with it?

I hope your cold is finally going (or gone), they are really doing the rounds this year, i've had 2 already!

Thinking about you with your tests and fingers crossed for the results. xx

Have a good weekend

Michelle said...

Love your Yarn Holder - I had one but for some reason mine keep spinning too much and the wool was all over the place much to the cat's delight so I traded it in for a yarn bowl. Hope you feel better soon xx

Linda Harris said...

Hope you are now starting to feel better. Your knitting tool looks interesting and sounds very useful. Beautiful quilting - love the colours you have chosen for your runner, prettier I think than the tutors.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Hope all is well Julie, waiting for results is not much fun. I like the idea of the wool holder, when my wool goes walk about there's usually a cat or dog ready to run off with it!

Penny said...

A very true saying on your calendar! What a lovely cardigan for your granddaughter! And your table runner is looking pretty. I tried to do some quilting at one time but it seemed like I was spending most of my time picking out stitches. :) Thinking of you, Julie, and hoping you get good news on your test results.

Vicki Boster said...

Goodness you have been busy!! What a gorgeous red sweater you made- a lovely pattern. Beautiful beautiful quilt in process-- you always have SO many projects going on. You are amazing...
Vicki